Thread: Koko now has antlers.

Koko now has antlers.

Koko and I were hiking our trails last week when all of a sudden she makes a right turn behind a tree and comes out with a deer antler firmly clasp in her jaws. She immediately started pulling me down the trail in a hurry to get home with her new treasure still locked firmly in the mouth.

I had read about Antlerz a deer antler that was sold as a dog chew so when we got home I tried to pry the antler from her so I could at least wash it in case there were germs and parasite that could make her sick. After prying and begging she finally surrenders the antler for me to clean it up.

I guess I cleaned it to well because after I cleaned it she just sniffed it and walked away. I thought maybe I had left soap or something on it that she didn't care for, so I wiped it down good in olive oil. After the olive oil treatment she was ready to take it back, so I decided to cut it into smaller pieces so it wouldn't be so hard to handle.

These antlers have turned out to be the best chew she has ever had. She can totally destroy a steak bone in a matter of minutes. It has been several days and she is still chewing on the same antler piece that she started on. I guess when these are gone I will have to find the ones sold by pet stores.

Since finding the last one she has put her nose to the ground every time we walk near where we found the original antler. I can tease her by saying find another antler and she will go bonkers looking back and forth on the trail. Antler is the new word in her vocabulary. If I ask her where her antler is she will immediately run and bring it back clamped in her mouth. Koko loves
    her new chews for sure.
    Last edited by kokopup; 04-03-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

The way I see it, Koko saved you some money, finding her own chew! Good girl Koko!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I find this so funny.. You telling her to "find another antler" and she goes bonkers looking on the trail. These critters are just so much smarter than people give them credit for.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    That was a pretty neat story. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought I was going to see a picture of Koko wearing those silly antlers that they have for pups to wear around Christmas time!

She's a pretty smart cookie, too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh, what fun!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery