Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Global warming

Global warming

Do you believe in global warming?

No, but I believe in the Great Global Warming Swindle
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

The question is not whether we believe in global warming or not, it is happening right now! The question is, how fast will it destroy the life on Earth we know, and can we do something about it, or is it too late? it certainly seems to be going faster than anyone expected 10-15 years ago.

See some facts here:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html

I’m sure if people had had computers a few hundred years ago, and had there been Forums like this, there most likely would have been a thread called: Do you believe the Earth is round?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Ditto the above post

Global warming isn't a theory, it is a sad fact. It exists whether you believe in it or not. And while the Earth has warmed up and cooled down several times over its history, from what we can tell, this one is the "fault" of humanity. I am, however, hopeful that humanity can act to slow its progress before life become unsustainable.

I have, out of curiosity, checked, living two towns in from the ocean as we do, what would happen if sea levels rose dramatically. My house would still be fine, and on dry land, but I'd need a boat to get to church, and my alma mater would be flooded, but that part is no surprise, as Boston's "Back Bay" was created from swamp in the first place.
    I've Been Frosted

It's not a matter of believing it or not, it is a theory based on lots and lots of hard data and research. It would be like choosing not to believe in Gravitational Theory.

I think we need more science education in this country so people understand the scientific method- scientists don't arrive at conclusions based on a whim, it takes years of valid testing and retesting hypotheses to arrive at a theory. That is actually what I am completing my master's thesis on- science education for the first 3 chapters and for my project, a unit on the scientific method and global warming. I will hopefully be done shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I have, out of curiosity, checked, living two towns in from the ocean as we do, what would happen if sea levels rose dramatically. My house would still be fine, and on dry land, but I'd need a boat to get to church, and my alma mater would be flooded, but that part is no surprise, as Boston's "Back Bay" was created from swamp in the first place.
    Karen, that's interesting. John did the same about 8-9 years ago. The map he came up with looked pretty scary - Denmark under 10 meters of water.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

When's that ice age going to start?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I understood it better after I saw a documentary on PBS about the glaciers that showed pictures of them "calving". My mom and dad went on a cruise to Alaska and saw glaciers. Previous generations might not have been aware of the impact of modern living on the environment; I'm glad there has been "consciousness raising" about it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The Earth has been warming and cooling since its begining. Humans have very little impact on the warming or cooling cycles, especialy when it comes to CO2 emissions.

In the mid 70's we were warned that CO2 was going to plunge us into a new Ice Age, so we started curbing our CO2 output. So, since we have curbed our emissions more and more since the dire predictions of the 70's, why is a warming trend in climate change happening? It couldnt possibly have anything to do with solar activity could it?

One of the co founders of Green Peace left the orginization because of GP's participation in the global warming movement. GW is big business, and gets big money. It is also holding back third world nations from developing. Keeping third world nations as third world nations is killing people.

Ill make it easy for all of you to watch The Great Global Warming Swindle, link.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The Great Global Warming Swindle is just about as credible as "Loose Change" - the documentary about the 9/11 conspiracy theory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

12. Too many people consuming too many resources and producing too much waste.

Why does someone have to "believe" in Global Warming? Isn't the evidence of the damage we are doing to this planet apparent to those without blindfolds on?

I don't "believe" in electricity, or flight of heavier than air crafts or that the earth is round.

Somethings just "are" and don't, in my opinion, require belief or non-belief.

Global Warming is one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

Global warming isn't a theory, it is a sad fact.
    It exists whether you believe in it or not.

And while the Earth has warmed up and cooled down several times over its history,
    from what we can tell, this one is the "fault" of humanity.

It's too bad we can't convince EVERYone that Global Warming IS a FACT;
    and needs EVERYone in the World to get together and turn the temperature down.
    We seem to *burn* everything in sight - Oil, Coal, Trees, and even our Garbage!

Burn Less ~ Breathe Better.

Global warming is a fact and putting our head in the sand and coming up with
    these conspiracies to deny it is not responsible. Blue you probably still have a
    W sticker on your jeep. You sound like you are cut from the same stock anyway. Living in Alaska the proof is all around you. Have you been outside lately.

Okay, the climate IS changing and causing bad effects.

To heck with whatever is causing it - that argument is a waste of time.

The main point is - WHAT ARE WE DOING/GOING TO DO ABOUT IT????

JMO
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda