Thread: Horses might be forced to wear diapers

Horses might be forced to wear diapers

City officials in Vienna has proposed that the horses that pull the carriages through Vienna's streets should wear diapers. The diapers would stop the horse droppings that has been messing up and dirtying the streets.

However, several animal rights activists along with the carriage drivers has protested fiercely, even doing a big protest wearing diapers themself. This is how it looked:

Incase you're wondering, the diapers spell out "Stop Pooh Bags".

Not only would the diapers hinder the horses' movement, but it would also cause wounds. And you know, think about it... There's so many homeless and unemployed people in the world today. Why not hire a few of those people to clean up the streets instead of coming up with ludicrous ideas like this?

If anyone wants to see the original article, it can be found here.

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

The horses that pull the carriages in downtown Chicago wear bags for catching the poop. They are not exactly diapers-- leather and designed not to chafe!

You're serious?! I thought this was the first time anyone though of this idea... LOL, guess I was wrong (as usual!)

Originally posted by Ann
    You're serious?! I thought this was the first time anyone though of this idea... LOL, guess I was wrong (as usual!)
    LOL!!! Back when I was a wee youngster there was a lady who made the news because she was offended by the 'naked' animals running everywhere. She wanted all animals to be forced to wear clothes, even birds. Luckily, no one took her seriously. Well, not many did, anyway.

Philadelphia PA horses

In downtown Philadelphia, the horses wear leather catchers under their tails. I guess you could call them diapers, but they do not fit around the horse, but go behind the horse. They work well. I rather like the idea. The drivers must stop and empty the bags from time to time, but that isn't a problem.

Yup, I've seen the leather catchers too!

At Christmas time in Las Cruces, they offer horse-drawn carriage rides from one end of the mall to the other. The horsies (big ol' clydsdale crosses) wear the diapers! Personally, I'm for it (as long as the owners' are responsible and the diapers are changed frequently).

I saw the story on CNN tonight and they said that they decided not to use them for fear they would get horsy diaper rash. And they were serious!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Well, that's interesting to know! Glad to hear those leather diapers doesn't bother the horses

LOL@the woman who wanted all the animals to wear clothes

The Amish around here don't use the leather pouches and sometimes driving on the far northeast corner of the county can be treacherous!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

ok leather catchers don't sound 2 bad,but diapers?!that is just ridiculous!besides,horses wearing diapers look kinda funny anyway.i think it's cruel for them to have to wear something that might rub or hurt them.

There were some college students in one of the universities that made a car designed to run on manure. I see a perfect solution to several problems here. Don't you?

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to trot down the street wearing a diaper for all the world to see. But that's just me.

Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    Personally, I'd be embarrassed to trot down the street wearing a diaper for all the world to see. But that's just me.
    But Connie, think of the alternative, would you rather trot down the street ... uhhh .... dropping road-apples?

Hee, hee, hee! You two!!!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

those hairless cats are called sphinxes.i think that's how u spell it neway.horses do have 2 wear horsetack and blankets and stuff,but that's the closest they normally get to wearing clothes.except im going to this fall festival next week and theyr dressing up the horses in halloween costumes!lolbut those dont hurt them

Originally posted by HoRsELUvR
    .horses do have 2 wear horsetack and blankets and stuff,but that's the closest they normally get to wearing clothes.except im going to this fall festival next week and theyr dressing up the horses in halloween costumes!lolbut those dont hurt them
    don't forget the arabian shows have a "native costume" class!