Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diego sick after shots

Diego sick after shots

On Thursday at noon I took Cali and Diego to the white coats for their yearly check up and shots. Cali was fine. Diego, not so much. He was very tired, last night I woke up to him throwing up. This morning he made a nasty runny poop on the door mat and pooped outside the box. Phoned the vet, the shots might have made him feel sick so I fasted him per her instructions then finally fed him. He seems to be more his old self now so I hope his feeling poorly has passed.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I have heard about some cats being extra lethargic after their shots...and some get sick like Diego did.

Am glad the fasting helped some...I am sure he is happy to eat and get back to being your boy!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Awww poor Diego. I'm glad he seems to be better now.
    I know it would be very difficult (and was before his surgery) to not feed Taz. He tells me off if I don't feed him when he thinks it's time to eat.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

We've had a similar problem with a few of our kitties as well over the years...After getting their shots, some have had upset tummies, ran a low-grade fever, seemed lethargic, or were off their food a bit. The vet(s) said the same thing...it was probably the vaccines and to watch them...So far, all bounced back after a day or two. I suppose cats react to vaccines the way people do sometimes. I've felt icky once in awhile from a shot that I've received...sore arm, low-grade fever, headache, etc.

I hope Diego is back to his old self soon!

Judy
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Mahatma Gandhi

Diego had a good night and appears to be completely back to normal this morning. Thanks all for your comments and good thoughts for my handsome little boy kitty.
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

My RB Puddy would go under my bed for a couple of days after getting her shots. She barely came out to eat and/or use the litter box. Glad to hear that Diego is back to normal now.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

My Inka always gets very lethargic after her shots...! Maybe because of her CH ??
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Glad to hear...

that Diego is back to normal!

Judy
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Mahatma Gandhi

Eddie gets sick after his shots -- vomitting and lethargic too.

Usually last a day. Sounds like your Diego is the same!

I'm sorry to hear that he had such a bad reaction to his shots but I'm glad that he's feeling much better now.

Sky would get sick after his FVRCP shots and one time he even got a URI from it. Now he doesn't get them any more and since all of my cats are indoor only,I've stopped giving them shots. My current vet is fine with this. Many vets are now only recommending shots every 3 years instead of every year.

One of mine had this every single time.

The solution was to split the vaccine into two doses, the last one being a week later, it does mean two trips to the vet, but to me, much better than them being ill for two days. The vet's solution, and no charge for the administration of the rest of the shot.

Works for her every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady View Post

The solution was to split the vaccine into two doses, the last one being a week later, it does mean two trips to the vet, but to me, much better than them being ill for two days. The vet's solution, and no charge for the administration of the rest of the shot.

That is a great idea. I will have to keep it in mind for next year. Thanks!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady View Post

Yep, that's what we do also. I just hate to see them feel bad.

Halo, really gets ill. Splitting them up is much easier on her.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Yep, that's what we do also. I just hate to see them feel bad.
    Absolutely, especially when we can avoid it. So does Tinkerbelle, lethargic, vomiting, she even gets in the laundry basket and stays there until she feels better, doesnt even drink, or use the litter box until then. Broke my heart.

Queen of Poop, I hope it works for Diego as it does for Tinkerbelle

My gang gets the "feel good shot" I call it that in reality is an anti-nausa medication in shot form. Best $8 I spend.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor