Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of itchies?

Getting rid of itchies?

There is something in the house that is making us all nuts with itchies. We all have little red bumps on our legs and arms, some bumps on bellies. They look like razor burn. Or maybe small hives.

We've all been on medication for bacterial infection... creams, pills, creams, creams, and more creams - all prescription (one was custom made by the pharmacist. It smelled AWFUL and cost a small fortune). We were put on meds for a mite infection. Nothing really worked. Just creams that numb the skin to keep us from itching.

We've washed and rewashed everything. All mattresses have plastic covers. We've steam cleaned the carpets. We dust and vacuum like maniacs. I'm at wit's end!

One doctor says its a creepy crawly, and another says its an allergic reaction. And yet another says its simply ultra-dry skin. And the therapist says it psychological because of the severe stress in the house.

Its something in the house. Is it a creepy crawly? Is it an allergy? IS it stress? UGH!

I think someone needs to get to a good dermatologist. It is completely unlikely that you and hubby - two genetically unrelated human beings - would suddenly come down with the same allergy.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I think someone needs to get to a good dermatologist. It is completely unlikely that you and hubby - two genetically unrelated human beings - would suddenly come down with the same allergy.
    We've seen dermatologists, allergists, family doctors, psychs, and tomorrow I'm going to see yet another doctor. Its driving me NUTS!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    We've seen dermatologists, allergists, family doctors, psychs, and tomorrow I'm going to see yet another doctor. Its driving me NUTS!
    Would a nice baking-soda bath - warm water - give you some relaxation and relief? If tomorrow's doctor says "I dunno" refuse to leave until you see his or her boss.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Would a nice baking-soda bath - warm water - give you some relaxation and relief? If tomorrow's doctor says "I dunno" refuse to leave until you see his or her boss.
    LOL -- that would be hard because she is the boss!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    LOL -- that would be hard because she is the boss!
    Then ask her to call her smartest teacher/mentor!
    I've Been Frosted

Could it be that you have these?
    http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-bites-photos/

When our building was having the roof done, people on the top floor complained about bites and a guy came round to spray all flats two or three times. Luckily, I never got any bites - don't think they got this far down.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

A few months ago, we had same problem here! Turned we had ..... flea-bites !!
    Our cats had fleas, and the house was infested too . It took us 3 months to get rid of the bugs
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Could it be that you have these?
    http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-bites-photos/

When our building was having the roof done, people on the top floor complained about bites and a guy came round to spray all flats two or three times. Luckily, I never got any bites - don't think they got this far down.
    Nope - those are all too big (the bite marks and welts.) Our bumps are teeny tiny. I have a 9Am Dr. Appointment (its 8:30 now.... suppose I should get dressed and leave?)

Ask your doctor to do a skin scraping and send it to the lab. My son had the same symptoms after coming home from a boys' school. Several doctors misdiagnosed the problem, until one actually used a microscope. He had a rare type of mite, and once it was properly diagnosed, it was simple to cure.

I agree with Karen, allergies seem highly unlikely.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

This doctor agrees with the therapist - she says it is stress. Now, its HIGLY likely that it is the real cause, because we're manufacuring stress around here. Ashley is moving into her apartment monday.... it can't come soon enough. This past Wednesday, Ashley was fighting with her sister (TOTALLY her fault, but blaming someone else - of course ) and she screamed "I can't wait til Monday so I can leave this place and never see any of you ever again!" To which I let out a spontaneous WOOHOO! Ooooohhh boy, was she mad. I thought it was funny.

The doctor said she'd have given me a muscle relaxer to try, but its not necessary if the stressor is leaving in a few days. but the doctor did take some cultures to send off to the lab. She said she's sure they'll come back negative for anything. We'll see.

I immediately thought bedbugs when I read your symptoms. I had a client with the same symptoms and it was horrible to remedy the situation. I don't by that it is 'stress'. All of you react the same way to stress? Not very likely.

Kim, I'm sorry to hear this but I'm so glad to hear that Ashley will soon be moving into her apartment. When I read your post I thought of scabies which is a type of mite. I had this once and I also went to the doctor and she thought it was a skin allergry. Then I got a call from a friend saying that his roommate had been just diagnosed with scabies and this might be what I had too. They had all been itching like crazy for quite a while before I caught it from one of their roommates. If this is what it is, it's highly contagious. I had to put a cream all over my body and I had to keep changing my sheets several times a week. Even after I did this, I was still fairly itchy for a while. Hopefully you can finally be diagnosed correctly. Good luck.

I was going to say Fleas.. When I used to live in a Trailer I had a indoor/outdoor cat & she got the trailer infested with fleas.. OMG it took forever to get rid of them..
    Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    A few months ago, we had same problem here! Turned we had ..... flea-bites !!
    Our cats had fleas, and the house was infested too . It took us 3 months to get rid of the bugs

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I don't buy that stress diagnosis. The whole family would not come down with the same kind of skin reaction from the same stressor. Sounds more like something in the air or house. Unless you've all been eating some new kind of food that comes from another country and could be contaminated? I'd keep looking for a solution, stress sounds unlikely to me. What about the person who is moving - any symptoms on her?