Thread: Nothing seems to work...

Nothing seems to work...

I have been trying to hide the medication 1/2 of a crushed chloratab and nothing is working. I even hid it in Cod liver oil. He won't eat any of it. I kinda wonder if it sat too long in the oil b/c mom already feed the cat and so the cat already stuffed himself. Maybe I will have to try again. Even dropping it in and force him to take it, won't work since he struggles so much. Vet, said only other thing we can do is give him steroid shots. Expense of shots would be bad since he is still only 8/9 years old it would be every 2/3 months just because he is a picky cat.

I don't want to have to make him take it, it be so much easier if I could hide it. I'm going to keep trying, but I just like to see if any one had any other suggestions because we have tried non flavored benadryl (capsule/powder) and cherry flavored (liquid) which the cherry flavored makes him foam at the mouth. The vet said put some in tuna juice didn't work.

I've never done this, but others have....have it compounded with a flavor. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with it, so I don't know the correct wording. Hopefully one of the others that has done this before will see this and get it straight for you.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Stormy you are such a handsome fella. Please take your medication like a good boy.

Fortunately, I have no problem giving my guys a pill. All I do is get down on my knees and place the cat between my legs, gently squeeze so the cat can't escape, open their mouth with my left hand, hold it open with my ring finger on my right hand, shove the pill in the back of their throat, gently hold their mouth close and stroke their throat. There have been a few times that if I don't get the pill back far enough, they will spit it out. So it's back to square one.

Some people wrap their cat in a towel like a burrito and hold them like a baby while the other person gets the pill down the throat.

Have you tried Pill Pockets? Some people have no problems with those.

Good luck and I pray that you are able to find a solution to this.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Have you tried Pill Pockets?

http://www.greenies.com/en_CA/Produc...llPockets.aspx

Something else you can try is mixing the medication in with a really stinky cheap wet food, like Fancy Feast. The salmon flavour should do it. You want a food where the flavour of the food is stronger than the taste of the medicine. Fishy foods are good to try.

Good luck.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

well cat food I've tried. I have heard of compound though non seem to be available around here at least for allergies... maybe I should talk to another vet. Stormy hates rides, he seriously acts like he is on death row when we drive. I think he was links car rides to his abandonment. I should try to desensitize but we only make trips once/twice a year and it isn't too bad. Pill pocket is something I should try, I mean I don't know if it will work but anything is worth the shot. I mean I hate having to clean up every time he sneezes plus it means extra laundry if he sneezes on the bedding. I put old blanket at the end of the bed to protect my comforter. Plus he looks so stuffed up and miserable.

Poor Stormy and poor you! No advice, just sympathy.
    I've Been Frosted

We have tried many different things with Giz, to get her heart medication in her. What works for her is to add it (crushed) to some can cat food that is given as a treat. I bought one of those wooden pharmacy things (wooden bowl with crusher) at the flea market to crush it with and it works like a charm. If they eat only dry food, the wet food is a real treat and everybody gets it at night, just about only 1/2 a teaspoon. Amy and Boo's Cosequin goes in theirs.

If Stormy eats wet already, just add it to that, start with a small amount of the meds added to a small amount of his food until he gets use to the taste... Find a flavor he loves would help.

We use to use soft treats and crush her meds into those and she got so use to the flavor of her meds in her treats that she wouldn't eat her treats if it didn't have her meds in it.. Just keep at it and you will find something that works. We just have to outsmart them.... if that is possiable.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Yes, give Pill Pockets a try or see if the medication comes in liquid form so that you can squirt it in Stormy's mouth. All my cats are easy to pill but my RB Puddy gave me a tough time on occasion so I can empathize. Good luck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

THATS THE MOST FRUSTRATING THING TO DO SOMETIMES AND THATS TO PILL A CAT, AS THEY HAVE NO EARTHLY IDEA THAT WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO IS FOR THIER OWN GOOD.
    I WOULD SEE IF YOU COULD GET THAT MED IN A GEL, AND THEN WIPE IT ON HIS NOSE OR PAWS, AND SEE IF THAT WORKS.
    WE ARE PRAYING THAT YOUR CAT GET THE MEDICINE IN HIM THAT HE NEEDS.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I just need to keep trying eventually I think he will get use to it.

On our hard to medicate cats we've gotten the paste that you rub into the inside of the ear. Not all meds come in this but it's worth a try. Much easier than trying to pill.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Pill Pockets have been a life saver for me. Good luck!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

As many others have mentioned, PILL POCKETS are awesome! My cats love them and think they are the best treats. They are moist and you just squish the treat around the pill and the cat eats the treat. It comes in chicken and salmon flavours. They are about 7.99 a bag at my local pet store and I think 30 or so pockets are inside. It's worth it's weight in gold. More actually! LOL

In the past I've hidden pills, whole or pieces inside a chunk of liverwurst -- that IS assuming your pet likes liverwurst.

Barbara