Thread: Zen Puppy and dog food expiration dates

Zen Puppy and dog food expiration dates

First, has anybody tried Zen Puppy dog treats? They are herbal dog treats. I got some hip and joint ones for Autumn, calming treats for Nae, and skin and coat for Wallace. I'm not sure I believe in herbal remedies yet, but I figure they all have omega 3 oils and lots of other good vitamins and minerals anyway. It takes a lot of convincing Nae each day to eat hers, they smell like flowers so she isn't sure they are food.

Second, Nae is too big for me to afford to feed her raw right now, so I got her Castor and Pollux. I was in between the new Dog Whisperer food, Spot's Stew, and CP. Castors was half off due to expiring in a month, but Nae will eat the 15 pound bag in less than 2 weeks. Do you think its too close to the expiration and sacrifices too much nutrition? Cause if not, I'm going for the cheap bag every time I buy food, as long as its not expired.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Dog Whisperer food is extremely expensive for what it is..

You'd get MUCH more bang for you buck with Innova, California Natural, Wellness, Wysong, Fromm, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Canidae, Solid Gold, Instinct, Nature's Variety, etc. Even Kirkland's brand (Costco brand) gives you more bang for your buck in comparison to Cesar Millan's food. (I'm biased. I don't agree with CM's training methods and don't support him in any manner...)

Also, I would avoid feeding foods so close to their expiration dates. As they age, the quality deteriorates. You may be saving money short-term at the cashier, but I think you'd do better to feed something like Canidae and get the most out of your money.

I guess I made a mistake, the dog whisperer food IS castor and pollux. Did you ever look at the ingredients? That food is great. I don't like the guy either. Almost all of those foods are below my standards. I guess I'll just get CPs further from expiration. I just don't think their expiration date is very far from when they produce it, since its mostly meat.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton