Thread: Scratching all the time

Scratching all the time

Little Lu Lu here is scratching all the time. She's scratched herself raw in some places, especially on her back just above the tail. I treat my animals for mange and fleas and ticks, and I treat the yard for those things. I can't find any fleas on her, and I gave her ivomec for two weeks, but still she scratches. I would like to save myself a trip to the Vet (I have 9 dogs and 12 cats, and I a have a busy schedule). Does anyone here have a good idea what is her problem?

Is she chewing her feet at all?

That is a good indication of allergies.
    You could try bathing her with a good oatmeal shampoo to help sooth her skin.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

It could still be a flea allergy. All it takes is 1 or 2 flea bites to start
    a skin reaction which then itchs & spreads the rash & the itches. The
    fleas will die because of flea treatments, but still get in a few bites before
    they do. Food allergies are also possible. Some dogs are just more allergic
    than others to the flea saliva. I hope you can get it stopped.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You're not really saving any money by not taking her to the vet. While you may think you're saving $50 or so dollars now, might cost you $150 later.

With scratching like that she could easily get a skin infection which can spread to her whole body causing intense itching, discomfort and possibly make her sick. Aside from the fact that a skin infection like that will require several WEEKS of antibiotics to clear up, many of those skin infections are a Staph infection, which can be transmitted to humans.

The vet also has medications that will help with the itching your dog is feeling regardless of what the original cause is, and they are only available by prescription from your vet.

So for the sake of your dog AND you family, please take your dog to the vet. She will thank you for it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    You're not really saving any money by not taking her to the vet. While you may think you're saving $50 or so dollars now, might cost you $150 later.

With scratching like that she could easily get a skin infection which can spread to her whole body causing intense itching, discomfort and possibly make her sick. Aside from the fact that a skin infection like that will require several WEEKS of antibiotics to clear up, many of those skin infections are a Staph infection, which can be transmitted to humans.

The vet also has medications that will help with the itching your dog is feeling regardless of what the original cause is, and they are only available by prescription from your vet.

So for the sake of your dog AND you family, please take your dog to the vet. She will thank you for it.
    She will be going this morning.

It seems the problem was indeed flea allergy. I really haven't seen any fleas around since I regularly treat my yard and I regularly treat the animals, but ..., there are a few fleas that manage to get in. She got herself a shot, and I put some Frontline on her, and now she seems much better. Thanks for everyone's advice!

She barks all the time. Bark! Bark! Bark!