Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two male cats, 11 years old, desparately need homes

Two male cats, 11 years old, desparately need homes

Hi everyone. It is Rebecca. I was just reading a post on Butlerfreecycle and a lady was asking for help in finding homes for her two male cats that she can no longer keep due to a landlord. They are eleven years old. Here is her post:

"I have 2 adult male cats that I am trying to find a new home for. They
    are brothers, they are both 11 years old, front declawed, neutered,
    indoor cats. We've had them since they were babies, but we recently
    moved
    and can NOT keep them. They are very lovable and friendly cats and are
    great with kids. I hate to give them up, but we have to. I have their
    food bowls and a cat carrier to go with them. They are both up to date
    on shots and are not sick or in need of vet care, we just can't keep
    them at our new place thanks to the no pet policy in the lease! They
    are
    at a temporary home right now but have to be out by this
    weekend.........or they will have to be put down. I've attached a
    picture of them. If
    you can help by taking them or just fostering them till I can find
    them
    a home, please let me know! Thanks so much! OH and if you can take
    them, I will bring them to you!
    Becky

Please email me for pics!"

I was hoping that we could help her and the cats find good homes. I would love to take them, but I know that you guys would all kill me. So would my kids1 If anyone can help, drop a line. Rebecca

For as long as I will live, I will never understand how someone can have a pet for as long as 11 years and then be so willing to give them up. I could never do it. Surely there are other places to live?!? But I know I shouldn't judge and I can't know what it's like to be in their shoes but it bothers me so much.

I wish I could help but I don't know anyone in PA and my house is already so full. I pray that only 'good' people answer her ad.
    Thanks for posting this Rebecca, it would be so awesome if someone on PT or someone they knew were able to help these boys.

need homes for two ll year old cats

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen
    For as long as I will live, I will never understand how someone can have a pet for as long as 11 years and then be so willing to give them up. I could never do it. Surely there are other places to live?!? But I know I shouldn't judge and I can't know what it's like to be in their shoes but it bothers me so much.

I wish I could help but I don't know anyone in PA and my house is already so full. I pray that only 'good' people answer her ad.
    Thanks for posting this Rebecca, it would be so awesome if someone on PT or someone they knew were able to help these boys.

Believe me Emerald, I totally understand about the willingness to get rid of cats that you have had for 11 years. I live in a four story house. I have lived here for seven years and the house is falling apart. I want to move so bad. I have dreams of moving into a house where the ceilings don't fall in and the toilet flushes and the gas bill is not 500 a month during the winter. I will not move until I can take my cats with me. I know that will never happen; therefore, I am trying to fix the house up that I have been living in so long. I love these cats like they were my children. They give me so much love and enjoyment. They make me laugh all day.

This is so sad. I hope that someone will be able to adopt them in time. When did the lady post this? It sure sounds like she isn't giving the cats very much time to find a new home.

Eleven year old cats need homes

I think it was about a week ago when I read she needed homes for the cats. I have not read anything else regarding that post so hopefully she found them homes.

Need homes for two eleven year old cats

I just went to Butler Free Cycle and the owner of the cats had posted two pics of the cats. They are so adorable. If anyone can help in finding a home, please let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Regarding 11 year old cats needing homes

Gosh, they are so adorable. I just want to go and pick them up and bring them home. I hope, somehow, we can find them good homes before they go to a kill shelter. That would break my heart.

Any idea what is going on with these two boys? I have a ton of family around butler/pittsburgh/indiana pa, so i will ask around. I just wanted to make sure they were still "homeless". This is such a shame because the kitties just don't understand.....

Eleven year old cats need homes

Quote Originally Posted by cristy
    Any idea what is going on with these two boys? I have a ton of family around butler/pittsburgh/indiana pa, so i will ask around. I just wanted to make sure they were still "homeless". This is such a shame because the kitties just don't understand.....
    I definitely understand that they don't understand and I want them to stay together. I recieved a post this eve, here it is:

They are both male and they are both fixed. Also here is my home phone #724-698-7276 ask for John or Jannine.

Thanks again,

John

If anyone can find homes, please get back to me or John. I would love to see these kittens get a great home. Rebecca

Regarding the two 11 year old homeless cats and my feral cats

I have some really good news. Today I petted my feral mother cat while she was with her kittens. She rubbed heads with me and and let me pet her over and over. Some people think that ferals cannot be tamed. I just cried becasue I cannot believe she let me touch her. My other feral has been letting us pet her for over a month now. That only leaves one feral cat. I am so excited that I have been able to pet the mom. I play with the kittens all of the time hoping they will not be wild.

Regarding the two 11 year old cats

i cant have any more cats.

Would but won't.

I moved my kids and my critters across country to a NO pet lease had my new landlord meet them and he takes my bird with him on sunny days,

Sorry but this kind of pet owner engenders no sympathy from me.
    ooops I guess I am back.

Kym
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Rebecca, PLEASE READ!!

Rebecca, I'm having trouble with my PM's and can't get them to 'send' so I'm posting my reply to you here on this thread. I'm really hoping you can read it before you pick up these two new cats. I think you mentioned that you would be getting them by tomorrow? I'm so worried about it and I really hope that you will read this.

You said to me today that you are almost done spaying all your cats and that you're in a position to offer these two 11 year old cats a home but you're not almost done, you still have 3 cats to get spayed and you're not sure if you have the money to get it done and you don't know if all three unfixed females will be having litters before they get fixed. We know that one just had a litter and you suspect that the other two females are already pregnant.

I also would be so happy if my cats got checked for leukemia. My cats have never had shots or physicals
    What if some of your cats do have feline leukemia? It is not that uncommon with ferals and can be life threatening. You said you've never had your cats examined or vaccinated before and 3 of them have only now just been seen when they got fixed. Were they tested for Feline Leukemia? Getting vaccines is not the cure if they already have it.
    You could be exposing these two 11 year old cats to the virus.

if another cat shows up at my door, even if I can't afford it, I will help them any way I can.
    These cats are not showing up at your door, they are being posted on a website that hundreds, maybe thousands of people can see. There are other homes out there that might take them. There are no-kill shelters out there, like the Butler Humane Society. But I'm sure there is a home for them.
    You already have dozens of homeless cats that need your help right outside your door. And by the sounds of it, you are the only kind soul on your street who will help them. They do need you and you should help them but these two 11 year old cats are not showing up at your door.

Because only some of your cats have been treated for worms, you will be exposing these 11 year olds to worms and it is very likely that they will get them. And the fleas. You said that you and your family got eaten alive last summer. That problem hasn't even been solved yet. I'm sure these 11 year old cats have never had fleas before, they are indoor cats. They will get fleas the minute they enter your house.

I have lost too many cats to cars. I live on a very busy street. One day my kitten went out the back door. We tryed to catch him. In one second he jumped off the balcony. In three minuetes he was hit by a car. It is hard for me to have all of these cats when I live in the city, but you would not believe how many homeless cats are outside my house.
    These 11 year old cats are indoor cats and are declawed. How in the world are you going to keep them inside with 7 people coming and going all day long? 3 of your 7 cats are feral and go outside. If these cats got outside, they are unfamiliar with the outdoors and could easily be hit by a car. They don't have front claws and would not be able to defend themselves against other cats (and it sounds like there are many homeless and feral cats outside your house).

I started leaving food out for them. When they got bigger it was winter. They found a hole in my basement and they all came in.
    How do you know the two 11 year old cats won't escape out of this hole? I know you said in a previous post or PM that you couldn't keep your cats from going outside because with 7 people in the house it was just to hard. How is this going to change?

I know that you are planning to take these two cats because you don't want them to end up in a kill shelter as you mentioned to me earlier today but that is not necessarily going to happen. There are alot of homes out there that are not already full of cats that are still in need medical attention and flea/worm treatments. I can help you find someone.

I really hope that you will give this some serious thought. I know your heart is in the right place, it always is. There is absolutely no doubt about that. But I think it is not in the best interest of the these two 11 year old indoor declawed cats to be added to your household. You told me just the other day that you can't afford to feed all the people in your house. You need to take care of the wonderful family you have, the human and feline kind. They do need you and they are so lucky to have you. I hope that you will put all your energy and focus and funds into them and let these two guys go to another home. I'm sorry if any of this sounds harsh in any way. It is not meant to be that way. I have great respect for your love of animals and you are trying to help the ones you have in your care. This is so awesome. You asked me what I thought about this so I felt that I needed to respond.
    Please consider everything before doing this.
    p.s. as mentioned, I wanted to PM you but I'm having issues with it and I didn't want you to think I just wasn't responding. I really do care!!

Two kitties need homes

Quote Originally Posted by cristy
    Would you be able to find a home for the kitties since you have family in Butler. My number is 724-214-2023. Please call me and let me know. Rebecca

I just sent out an email this morning to everyone I know in the area...I am waiting for responses. Where are the kitties right now? And, how long can they stay there? Do you know if these people are actually looking for homes for them too?