Thread: My Ringo ate 2 hair elastics help!!

My Ringo ate 2 hair elastics help!!

Please cat owners I need help! My poor baby, Ringo, has eaten two hair elastics and has vomited twice today. One elastic appeared in his vomit but I havent come across the second one as of yet. I have cleared the litter box and am keeping a close eye on his bowl functions, and his behaviour. I truly cannot afford to take him to the vet as I am only 21 years old and a student. If absolutely necessary I will find the money some how cause I love him dealy, but I don't want it to be too late. What would you recommend? Should I take him or should I wait it out? He has eaten string in the past and had surgery for it. Please help!

Is the cat still eating/drinking and keeping the food/water down? Able to go potty normally? Playing, energetic, acting normal? If no on any of these, then DEFINATELY see a vet ASAP.

If cat is eating, drinking, playing, not tender in that area; then I would call the vet and ask for advice on what else to watch for or their recommendations on what you might be able to do for your kitty. Sometimes things don't show problems for a day or two and your kitty may get very sick by that time. Calling your vet should help ease your mind, or at least give you more specific information on what you should do.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

He's eaten string before and needed SURGERY? PLEASE find a box with a lid - even a shoe box - and find and put EVERY hair elastic, toy, rubber band, etc, into it. Search in places that kitty can get to but you can't - behind furniture, etc.

I hope you are lucky this time, I really do. But you have to do EVERYTHING you can to keep this from happening again. It's not only the money...it could be fatal for kitty to swallow the wrong thing.

Good luck, and follow CatLady's advice. She knows very well what she is talking about.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

As Catlady711 said, call your vet and keep him/her on alert and find out what to watch for. Years ago, my late Peke-a-poo, Charmin, ate a nylon footie and, fortunately, she passed it. My vet told me that, if I see her passing it, DO NOT try to help her by pulling on it because it could injure her internally. So, if you should see the hair band making its way out, watch until she passes it and see if there's any blood and/or pain involved w/it and, by no means, help her. If it appears that she's in real pain when passing it and/or if there's blood, call your vet immediately. Please let us know what happens. And gather up anything that she can get ahold of and put it somewhere safe where she can't get it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    Years ago, my late Peke-a-poo, Charmin, ate a nylon footie and, fortunately, she passed it. My vet told me that, if I see her passing it, DO NOT try to help her by pulling on it because it could injure her internally. So, if you should see the hair band making its way out, watch until she passes it and see if there's any blood and/or pain involved w/it and, by no means, help her.

Gosh thanks for posting that, I'd forgotten that part.

It reminds me of a cat that came in quite a while back. Apparently the cat had gotten into some knitting stuff and ate some string. The owner didn't notice until the string was sticking part way out the rear end. She very gently pulled on it and it wasn't budging so she brought the cat to us right away. It's a good thing she didn't pull hard because after xrays showed a needle also in there they had to do surgery. Turns out there was also a whole LOT of string still in there as well. Cat recovered and is doing just fine now.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022