Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on....

Need opinions on....

those running water drinking fountians.

We are planning on getting one this weekend and I would like to know the pro's & con's on them (please specify the brand name).

For some reason Lucky has decided lately to paw at the water dish, several hard swoops before he decides to drink out of it. Meanwhile not only does that make one heck of a mess on my floor but I am also having to fill the water every other day now!! We have one that holds probably about a gallon of water and normally we clean it and fill it up once a week with 3 cats and that is normally enough water........until Mr. "I need clean water" has come along!!!

I have no idea what has gotten into him lately, but I don;t have the time/energy to do this!!!! He is just being a rotten kid!! -
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

First, put a large mat with sides under the water bowl. I use a boot mat. That makes the clean up easier!

I have 2 Pet Mate fountains, and I am really pleased with them. The cats and dogs all use them, no issues. MOST of the cats do lick from the stream, I have noticed! The dogs use the pool at the bottom. Chestnut WILL still paw at it, particularly when the levels are down. But he is my silly orangie, MUCH prefers drinking from the bathroom sink than any water bowl or fountain!

I liked this one for the reason (Cat Lady?) had posted about at the time she got hers and I followed. The stream is not splashing, it runs down a ramp. The filters can be expensive, you can find them on line cheaper or you can make your own, we have the link in a prior thread. You save the netting and plastic guide and just purchase the charcoal filler from a fish supply place.

I fill BOTH each evening. But then, I DO have a lot of pets, and I didn't get the biggest size.

Hope this helps!

I bought my Petmate Fountain on sale for $20 since it didn't have a filter. So I I bought the fountain for $20 and a pack of filters for $6.00. Best investment I ever made. I highly recommend it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    I liked this one for the reason (Cat Lady?) had posted about at the time she got hers and I followed.

Yup.

Here's the threads I posted on the Petmate fountain in case anyone is interested. They still love both fountains.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...tmate+fountain

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...tmate+fountain

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I have 2 Petmate fountains w/no issues at all. My furkids love them and, even though they have water dishes in the basement where they sleep, as soon as morning comes and they're allowed upstairs, they all head straight for the fountains.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

WE HAVE WATER FONTAINS, PET MATE AND OTHERWISE THROUGH THE WHOLE HOTEL AND IF IT WAS NOT SO COLD OUTSIDE AS WELL.
    THOSE CATS SURE GET THIRSTY AND THE DISHES ARE CHANGED DAILY.

COOPERATION TIME.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My cats LOVE their fountains, BUT I think it is a pain in the butt to clean all the time!

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Quote Originally Posted by kt_luvs_kitties
    BUT I think it is a pain in the butt to clean all the time!

WHY?????? What is so hard about cleaning them????

Does anyone know how much water it holds at one time??? (cups or gallons?)

Thanks everyone!! Looks like we will be getting the Petmate water fountian this weekend!

Hope the cats like it!!
    Bunny & Kitties:

My large one holds 1.6 gallons as I recall (dog sized) and I'm thinking my smaller one (cat sized) holds about a quart.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Well, I have both sizes, the regular cat one and the large dog sized one. The larger one would probably be a better buy.

I have to take mine apart atleast 2 x per week to clean it. I use a toothbrush, and scrub all of the insides, all the corners to make sure it is clean. Then I take apart the adaptor that catches hair and stuff and clean it out (otherwise the motor will get overused and blow out *my last one did*).

A simple water dish is WAY easier, but my cats love the fountain so I suck it up

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I have the Cat It watering fountain, but haven't bought any new filters for it so it's not set up. I love it though, keeps the water clean and cool. My kitties love it too!

Cat It Watering Fountain

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

Well we bought the Petmate water fountian for the cats and so far aside from the first 'meeting' with the water fountian, all is going well! -

I do have another question though......

When we first brought it home & set it up it sounded quiet. Now this mroning when I walked into the kitchen I heard a noise, sounded like the machine was out of water and trying to suck up whatever was there, but no! Everything was full and running.

Do they sound loud?? Even my husband heard it when he got up (much earlier than I!! - ) and he even put more water in it thinking the same thing.

Do we have a problem or are we just over worried about the new machine???
    Bunny & Kitties:

It'll do that if it's low on water and/or if it has debris, such as cat hair in it. I have to clean mine often because w/7 cats, it gets a lot hair and stray litter in it. Once you refill and/or clean it, the noise should stop.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I must keep the pump to our Petmate fountain clean to keep it quiet. Pull the pump out of the fountain and check it for scummy buildup. Buildup will make it suck too hard and therefore too loud.

Depending on the quality of our current water supply, this happens more frequently sometimes. I think some people do not experience this build up problem because their water supply is better.

I have started using bottled water and it seems to help. It's also worse in the summertime. Since you live in the southwest, you may encounter this build up more frequently.

PM me if you want details about how I clean the pump.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

Forgot to mention that it helps to add filtered water. I have a Brita and I pour that water directly into the fountain.
    Blessings,
    Mary