Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medicine Hat girl guilty of first-degree murder *1st post edited

Medicine Hat girl guilty of first-degree murder *1st post edited

I actually thought the 12 year old might get a break here...I think she is the youngest person in Canada to ever be convicted of this. I just find it hard to believe that her parents' disapproval, internet restrictions and more - could have turned so disastrous.

I just can't believe it was so much her fault when she was hanging out with a 23-year old...

Medicine Hat girl guilty of first-degree murder
    Last Updated: Monday, July 9, 2007 | 5:55 PM MT
    CBC News

A 13-year-old Alberta girl has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the killings of her parents and younger brother.

The jury in Medicine Hat handed down its decision on Monday after less than a day of deliberations in the Court of Queen's Bench.

The girl faces a maximum sentence of up to six years in custody followed by up to four years supervision in the community.

The girl, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was accused of killing her parents and her eight-year-old brother on April 23, 2006, when she was just 12.

During the trial, which began June 4, the girl testified that her 23-year-old boyfriend, Jeremy Steinke, broke into her Medicine Hat home and attacked and killed her mother and father.

The girl testified that Steinke then ordered her to stab her brother, which she did once, before Steinke [killed him].

The girl testified she was in a "zombie" state at the time and unable to stop her boyfriend, or go for help.

She admitted in court that she and her boyfriend used to talk about killing her parents prior to the slayings, but she insisted she was only joking at the time.

Steinke, now 24, is also charged with first-degree murder in the deaths, but has yet to enter a plea and does not have a trial date set.

EARLIER REPORT:

Earlier in her testimony, she said she and Steinke had "hypothetical" conversations about killing her parents.

She said they used to talk late at night about how much she hated her parents, who didn't approve of their relationship.

She said they discussed possible ways of killing them, including making it look like a murder-suicide or hitting them on the head while they slept and then burning their house down. She said the plans included killing her brother because he was too sensitive to be an orphan.

But the girl said she never took the conversations seriously and considered them no big deal because all of her friends talked like that. She called it "stupid talk."

"This wasn't unusual for my group of friends — talking about killing people."

The accused said that a week before the killings she snuck out of the house and went with Steinke back to his trailer where they had sex. She said they had sex again in a friend's apartment after the killings, only hours before her family's bodies were discovered by her brother's friend.

"I loved him so much. I thought it would bring us closer together," she said, when asked why she would have sex when she was just 12 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Catty1; 07-09-2007 at 11:53 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

What in the **** is a 23 year old MAN doing with a 12 year old CHILD???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    What in the **** is a 23 year old MAN doing with a 12 year old CHILD???
    I think the question is...why in the **** is this posted?

Posted cause we all read about it and I for one was glad to hear the verdict.
    Could be that it will alert some parents to watch who their kids are keeping company with. That part of BC is known to be pretty rough anyway, but where were the parents when this 12 yr old was with the 23 yr old man?
    I would hope she would be getting some kind of conselling while in prison. It is sad, but where do we draw the line...a 12 yr old today knows more than kids of generations ago.

I think the question is ... why in the **** is this posted?
    Have to agree ...
    This is PET Talk ... "sensational news" can be covered elsewhere.

Alberta, not BC. And this is the Dog House. HELLO?

Just to show how wrong things can go...lots of teens get upset at their parents, think they are mean, and want them "gone" but not really.

Just make sure your teen is not dating a dim-witted drugged psycho!

The man's mom is dying of cancer, and is just heartbroken over what her son did.

Apparently, both these people were into the Goth culture.

I just hope she is young enough to get it.

The authorities allowed them to pass notes to each other in their respective prisons(hoping to gain clues or insight). I read some. She just loved him etc etc and he her.

Then in court she says the killings are all his fault.

Well, there goes THAT romance....sheesh...

Hard to believe someone that young can be guilty of 1st degree murder.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    That part of BC is known to be pretty rough anyway, but where were the parents when this 12 yr old was with the 23 yr old man?
    Ummm Medicine Hat is in Alberta. And I should know because it is only hour from the where I live.

As for where the parents were if you had been keeping up with the trial and the info, as I have every day on teh news and in the papers, the parents were doing things to try and stop the girl from seeing him. They didn't agree with it one bit. They grounded her, took away privliges and so on. So they were doing things to stop it. The last thing I would do here is blame the victims(the parents and son). If anyone knows anything about teens is you can't always completely control everyone they see or everything they do. You can try but a child of that age is not going to be watched 24/7 and can't be. She did go to school and so on where the parents couldn't watch what she was doing.

The parents were trying to fix the problem, from what I read, so the last people I would blame is them.
    Nicole & Sheena (moms to be)

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    No - they played violent video games!
    No - they must have been involved in a religious cult!
    No, no, no - it was all that TV and sugary junk food!
    Check their record collections - bet it'll ALL be heavy metal!

These two were crazy. Maybe drunk or on drugs. "Goth culture," if anything, "drives" kids to spend all their money on art supplies or musical instruments. Scapegoating broad swaths of the population serves no purpose, and just scares people needlessly.

Love, Columbine

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Alberta, not BC. And this is the Dog House. HELLO?

Just to show how wrong things can go...lots of teens get upset at their parents, think they are mean, and want them "gone" but not really.

Just make sure your teen is not dating a dim-witted drugged psycho!

The man's mom is dying of cancer, and is just heartbroken over what her son did.

I just hope she is young enough to get it.

The authorities allowed them to pass notes to each other in their respective prisons(hoping to gain clues or insight). I read some. She just loved him etc etc and he her.

Then in court she says the killings are all his fault.

Well, there goes THAT romance....sheesh...

Hard to believe someone that young can be guilty of 1st degree murder.
    Hello back at you! Now I ask the question again...WHY is this posted. I don't need to be told the obvious. This is the Dog House. I know that. My question is...while I am sure this is a locally interesting story...do you really think there are people on PetTalk for whom this would be an illustrative story???

Or is it just fun to post?

Well I really don't see how this is any different from any other posts in this section about murders and the like.....

I don't see anything more offensive about this post than any of the others.

Such a tragic story

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Well HELLO to ALL of YOU !!!!!
    Good post Catty1.
    I have to agree with Sparksy and Catty1, that this story is no different than a lot of other stories that are posted here. And I for one, being a previous and also current father of a teenage girl, find this to be most interesting and enlightening.
    I'm sorry ES if you find this thread unsuitable, but, I guess this is not the drinkies on Thursday's thread. There is a real world out there you know !!!!
    You could always go elsewhere if you find this thread offensive....eh ???
    Wom

And Orem, Utah is INTERNATIONAL?

And Columbine - I wish I could have detailed that a bit more than painting it with a broad brush. You're right. There is a lively Goth internet board in "The Hat", as it's called, and some kids are just on it for fun. Others were backing this girl and the guy. There was more to it than implied in the way I listed it. Wrong to generalize...these two shared a lifestyle and were quite into it. (didn't help that the boyfriend was majorly into crack).

13. I thought the Orem post just as inane and pointless.

You are right. You want to talk about sick people and the sick things they do.

I'll leave you to it. Enjoy.

[text deleted] I was hoping this 12 year old might get a light sentence. I found this whole thing disturbing, and wanted to share it.

Sick, yes. Reality - yes. I didn't realize that was forbidden here.

Quote Originally Posted by columbine
    No - they played violent video games!
    No - they must have been involved in a religious cult!
    No, no, no - it was all that TV and sugary junk food!
    Check their record collections - bet it'll ALL be heavy metal!

These two were crazy. Maybe drunk or on drugs. "Goth culture," if anything, "drives" kids to spend all their money on art supplies or musical instruments. Scapegoating broad swaths of the population serves no purpose, and just scares people needlessly.

Love, Columbine
    With that, I agree. I would fall under the "Goth" category - not Emo, Big difference! - but I've never taken drugs in life, never killed anyone, work for human rights, and my favorite video game is Kingdom Hearts! - It's hard to feel violent imagining a world where Mickey Mouse is the king. ( Anyone else play? I'm a total KH-junkie.)

What I'm trying to say is just because someone is goth, it doesn't mean they are a bad person. You can't tell what a person is going to be like because of the way they look.

Before I close, I want to mention something the article said - it said her parents "didn't approve of their relationship." Huh? If they didn't approve, why didn't they stop it? I don't know the exact laws of Canada but I do know they have laws against a 23-year-old dating a 12-year old child.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!