Thread: Tapeworms

Tapeworms

Hi, I called the vet today (my kitten has tapeworms). She was administered a dose of advantage multi, the vet said that this ointment should take care of the tapeworms. Is this true? Because she was administered pyrapam for pinworms and roundworms, doesn't she need to take medicine orally to treat the other worms or does advantage multi really remove (tapeworms)? I just want them to be gone completely.

I guess what I'm asking is, does advantage multi remove the existing worms or just prevent new worms from coming?

I just read that advantage multi treats only, hookworm, roundworm, eat mites, fleas but not tapeworms? Why did the vet administer this ointment if it does not treat the proper worm? Please help

Thanks so much!

Here is your answer right here...

http://advantagemulti.petparents.com/howItWorks.cfm

Advantage MultiTM (imidacloprid + moxidectin) Topical Solution is to be administered monthly, and when applied directly to your pet's skin, prevents heartworm disease, kills adult fleas and controls flea infestations, and treats and controls intestinal worms. The two active ingredients in Advantage Multi are imidacloprid and moxidectin. Imidacloprid has a high affinity for the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the post-synaptic region of the nervous system of fleas. The ensuing inhibition of cholinergic transmission in insects (i.e., fleas) results in paralysis and death. Moxidectin interacts with gaba-amniobutyric acid (GABA) and glutamate-gated chloride channels. This leads to opening of the chloride channels on the post-synaptic junction, the inflow of chloride ions and induction of an irreversible resting state. The result is flaccid paralysis of susceptible parasites, followed by their death and/or expulsion.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I don't know much about Advantage Multi. Our hospital will not stock or sell that product. One of the ingredients in it, Moxidectin is the same ingredient that was in the recalled Proheart6 that caused some deaths in dogs.

BTW Proheart6 is back on the market, and no there have not been any changes in the product and the package insert still lists 'death' as a 'side effect'.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

It starts out topically but will get into her system to take care of them

With cats it's usually easier to apply something topically rather than pill them... pilling cats isn't easy sometimes; most can't be fooled by hiding them in treats and its hard to shove a pill down their throat. So its usually easier to administer topically, but yes it is systematic and will treat them the same

On ProHeart: Isn't it funny that the list of warnings and side-effects is like a novel too!? I've been warned in school against using this... I forget what the active ingredient is, but it's used in other drugs too so be careful and READ LABELS OF ANY DRUG OR PESTICIDE YOU USE ON YOUR ANIMALS!

facebook

TAPE WORMS ARE AWFUL PESTS AND WE HOPE THAT YOU CAN CLEAR UP THAT INFESTATION SOON.
    WE ARE SENDING PRAYERS FOR YOUR LITTLE CAT OF THE FUTURE
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    On ProHeart: Isn't it funny that the list of warnings and side-effects is like a novel too!? I've been warned in school against using this... I forget what the active ingredient is, but it's used in other drugs too so be careful and READ LABELS OF ANY DRUG OR PESTICIDE YOU USE ON YOUR ANIMALS!
    It's more than just a novel. Since their relaunch of the product they now require all vets who want to purchase it attend a class on how to administer it, AND you have to have all clients read and sign a Consent Form telling them all the dangers of using the product before the vet can administer it.

http://www.proheart6.com/docs/Cient_Info_PH6-23.pdf

http://www.proheart6.com/docs/Consent_Form_PH6-24.pdf

The big boss will not purchase it for the hospital but was asking a salesman about it recently.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    It's more than just a novel. Since their relaunch of the product they now require all vets who want to purchase it attend a class on how to administer it, AND you have to have all clients read and sign a Consent Form telling them all the dangers of using the product before the vet can administer it.

http://www.proheart6.com/docs/Cient_Info_PH6-23.pdf

http://www.proheart6.com/docs/Consent_Form_PH6-24.pdf

The big boss will not purchase it for the hospital but was asking a salesman about it recently.
    Oh yeah, I knew about the classes too, that's really scary when you think about it. Who in their educated right mind would use this on their animals, and furthermore if I were a vet, wouldn't you think twice about wanting to use it on an animal!? The patients are also required to sign a WAIVER before administering the drug so the vet and the company aren't held liable for any adverse reactions. That's so wrong....

facebook