Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruel Remarks from radio personalities in my area...

Cruel Remarks from radio personalities in my area...

I was on my way to work this morning and always have my radio tuned to WPLR out of New Haven, CT. Normally, they talk alot, have trivia contests, etc. But this morning, they were talking about "Dancing with the Stars" and Jerry Springer.

As I listened, I could not believe the crude, obnoxious remarks one of the people said about Jerry Springer's daughter, who is deaf and blind. "Boy, it's a good thing she's blind, this way she doesn't know how ugly she is." Stuff like that. It was awful! The other radio personalities kept trying to stop him (don't know what his name was) but he didn't let up. I was angry. I tried calling in to complain but the line was busy forever.

I guess this is just a vent. I hope the jerk gets fired. There was absolutely no reason for that unkindness. I plan on emailing the station with my complaint and hoping some action will be taken. I guess that's why I can't stand Howard Stern either.

Thanks for listening.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Donna ~ Well, we have free speech in this country. And even though it was a mean and nasty thing to say, I don't think he should be fired for stating his opinion.

If you do get a chance to talk to someone there, please let them know that "ugliness" comes in many forms. It's too bad they broadcast their ugliness.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Kuhio,

I just think it was in very bad taste and cruel. I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot if it would've even been brought up at all. I believe in freedom of speech as well. But to make fun of someone's disability to me, is despicable.

I called the station and left a voicemail message about my disappointment in today's show, for what it's worth.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    I just think it was in very bad taste and cruel. I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot if it would've even been brought up at all. I believe in freedom of speech as well. But to make fun of someone's disability to me, is despicable.
    Unfortunately, for a certain (dismayingly large!) sector of the population who never grew up, bad taste, cruelty, and ugliness sell. They pretend (and convince themselves) that it's clever, so they can tell themselves they're clever for acting like cranky toddlers. Unfortunately, angry messages are exactly what they want - it proves to them that their listener base is growing, and that knuckledraggers will continue to turn to them for validation of their sorry existence. Nyaah nyaah, I made somebody mad! Pay Attention To Me! Pay Attention To Me! (ad infinitum)

Love, Columbine

People who hate a radio personality tend listen longer and more faithfully than the ones who love the same person. Controversy sells. This doesn't excuse stupidty or cruelty, however.

The only way to effect the radio station is to tell their major advertisers - I am sure you call reel off several ads off the top of your head if you think about it - that you will boycott their products, services or stores until that person gives a full apology, on air during "drive time".

One radio #$&(@% in my area went on a rant one day encouraging people to open their car doors in front of motorcyclists who were lanesplitting. (Which is perfectly LEGAL in CA) I was like....WTF he's trying ot get people killed!!

The radio station got sooo many complaints they made him apologize the next day.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Radio Stations seem to be like that.. very opinionated on things and will state it! I think that was pretty rude of him to say - he should have to make an apology!!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

That is really awful of him to say. I don't think that should be tolerated at all. I have a mentally handicapped person in my family and those kind of remarks cut deep for me, I can't imagine how it feels for the one being made fun of.

In my opinion making fun of disabled people is really the lowest low.

Maybe he was that desprate for listeners to call in. To me he sounds like a complete idiot. You should write a complaint to the radio station, Yeah hes got free speech but thats just plain cruel.

What a jerk! You can always hop on their site...

http://wplr.com/

they have a blog there. which guy was it?

as much as it sounds wrong, there is free speech so he can say that. BUT we also have free speech to tell him where to take his comments

hopefully he was just dumb at that time and is regretting it. i didn't hear it so i dunno how harsh it was.

Donna,

Was it Chaz or AJ that stuck his foot in it?? I was going to email, but, I have to do it from home since when I click on it, it uses my school email...I don't think they will like it much if I use work email for this! lol

Molly

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

That is just terrible! Some people get a kick from making fun out of those slightly different or weaker than themselves, and all I can say for them is that they must have sad lives if that's what makes 'em get up in the morning.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Mugsy,

That's just it, I'm not sure. I called the station and left a voicemail message, for all the good it'll do.

First, I want to congratulate you on taking the time to call and express your indignation. The expression has an importance of its own because when people are acting like jerks, they should be told.

But, please excuse my deep cynacism, radio stations only care about the number of listeners, not the number of happy or satisfied listeners.

I speak as a former radio and tv employee.

The only way to change this stuff (arrogant and profane and nasty radio talk) is for people to stop listening. When their ratings go down, things change.

When you call to complain, say "I will never listen to your radio station ever again." Get others to do the same.

I have already spoken with the dial on my radio.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Mugsy,

That's just it, I'm not sure. I called the station and left a voicemail message, for all the good it'll do.
    Well then perhaps I will just email both of them and ask which one of them is the bonehead....that should get a rise out of the guilty party...I'm SO bad!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!