Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Crustacean

My Crustacean

Well, I've never posted pictures of Dr. Zoidberg - my crawfish - yet. So she came out of her cave last night and I thought it would be a great time to take some photos. So here they are. Hope ya enjoy!

It's quite freaky when a crawfish loses their old outer shell. When she is about to she acts weird and doesn't like to move around much and sits in awkward places. When it first happened I wasn't expecting it so I saw an upside down crawfish but a living one in the corner. It's like a puppet of a crawfish - claws included!

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Awww....I used to have a blue one! they are so fun!! I know what you mean when they Moult! I was quite freaked when I saw, what looked like my crawfish, dead in the tank! Till I saw him on the other side!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    Awww....I used to have a blue one! they are so fun!! I know what you mean when they Moult! I was quite freaked when I saw, what looked like my crawfish, dead in the tank! Till I saw him on the other side!
    Thanks! I'm the only one in my house that finds her cute, but they [my family] do find her fascinating. The blue ones are great. That was my reaction as well! I thought my crawfish had died, until I saw Zoidy on the other end with a darker shell. My mom was like .

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Aww! She's gorgeous! =D
    I have always wanted a crawfish.. they're so neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    Aww! She's gorgeous! =D
    I have always wanted a crawfish.. they're so neat.
    Thanks!

Years ago I saw a picture of a crawfish in an animal book and it said that they can be owned and I thought that was really cool. So a few years later our pet store got some in and I got one. They make great pets. They're very easy to look after.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

She is a cutie! Love the name! (Huge futurama fan, here) :P

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber
    She is a cutie! Love the name! (Huge futurama fan, here) :P
    Thanks!

Really?! That is awesome! I LOVE Futurama. I wasn't sure if I should name her after Zoidberg where she is a girl, but I thought what the heck and did anyway. Glad to meet a fellow fan.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Quote Originally Posted by Husky15
    They make great pets. They're very easy to look after.
    Awesome! =D
    I probably would have found myself owning one by now(after doing some research, of course), but none of the petstores around here carry them... too bad.
    I, too, forgot to mention that I love the name. Futurama is awesome. ^__^

Awww.I didn't know you could have crawfish as pets.I will have to look into that.Zoidberg is a cutie.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

What a cutie! And fairly big, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    Awesome! =D
    I probably would have found myself owning one by now(after doing some research, of course), but none of the petstores around here carry them... too bad.
    I, too, forgot to mention that I love the name. Futurama is awesome. ^__^
    That sucks that your pet store doesn't carry them. And it's great to meet yet another Futurama fan . Yay Futurama!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy
    Awww.I didn't know you could have crawfish as pets.I will have to look into that.Zoidberg is a cutie.
    Yep, you can. They're really cool. And you'd love having one if you decide to get one. And thanks for the compliment .

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer
    What a cutie! And fairly big, too!
    Thanks! She is about three inches I believe. They can get pretty big but I don't think she'll get too much bigger. She's like a mini-lobster.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

How long to crayfish live???
    What tank size is Zoidberg in?
    What do crayfish eat??
    also what is furturama?
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

They eat other fish when they can catch them I know that. Many people on the aquarium forums I'm part of will attest to losing fish.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Those were great! I have a blue one, but can't ever get any decent pictures.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy
    How long to crayfish live???
    What tank size is Zoidberg in?
    What do crayfish eat??
    also what is furturama?
    Well they say that they live up to 2-3 years. But it varies with the species.

When I first bought Zoidberg I had to buy a new tank all together because my old one had lost its cover and a crawfish NEEDS to have a cover because they can sneak out. You'd be surprised what they can do. So since I had to get one then I bought a 5.5 gallon tank I believe it is. Good enough for one but I plan on getting her a 10 gallon just so she can have more room.

As for feeding them, you can feed them lots of things. Here is a list:

Omnivorous-fish, shrimp, meat, vegetables (frozen peas, boiled zucchini, carrots, etc.), sinking pellets, table scraps. Don't feed too much fat. Adults do not need a lot of protein, and should be fed primarily vegetables.
    I once heard of someone who got some leaves from the outdoors, cleaned them up and crunched them and then fed them to their crawfish. But you'd want to read more into that before you did it.

But I get sinking pellets from my pet store and feed her those.

Looking after a crawfish is just like looking afte a fish. You have to feed it and clean the tank and filter whenever it needs to be cleaned - just like having fish. But of course fish can't sneak out. I never fill my tank to the top tho because one time Zoidy was actually climbing up the filter pipe and almost got out. And by the way, you should have a filter for a crawfish. And also a cave like ceremic thing you can get for fishtanks, they love sitting in caves.

Haha and Futurama is a TV show. It's one of those animated comedies. Futurama is from the maker of the Simpsons.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    They eat other fish when they can catch them I know that. Many people on the aquarium forums I'm part of will attest to losing fish.
    Yep they do, but I never put other fish with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    Those were great! I have a blue one, but can't ever get any decent pictures.
    Thanks! Glad you liked them! I love the blue ones and I usually cant get a decent picture of mine either. She just decided to climb out of her cave that night.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]