Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many pets is to many???

How many pets is to many???

How many pets is to many????What do you all think.Can you have to many pets?
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

I think it depends on the size of your home and your pocket book.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I think if you can properly care for 100 pets, then have 100 pets. If you can't properly care for one pet, don't have one pet.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Yes you can have too many pets, but there is no number that should restrict someone. Some people can easily take care of 30 pets, some could only properly care for one, or none.

I could see myself with 6 or 7 dogs. I could handle more but after that point would worry that I could not give them all the individual time and training that I prefer to give my dogs. I want a cat, and I'll probably decide on another once I adopt the first. I can't have any animals that live in cages, it just doesn't work for me. I forget about them, don't give them enough attention, and don't clean their cage often enough. And even though I'd love a rat or a fish, I know I wouldn't care for them properly past the "new pet" excitement stage. Farm animals I could do, but probably not a lot of them. I do want cows, goats and chickens in the future, but would worry about giving proper care to pigs and horses, even though I'd love to own them both.

It all depends on the person, the living situation, money, space, size of pets, etc.

Personally, I like having 2 dogs and a few fish. 3 Dogs isn't so bad either, but I don't plan on going over 3 until I can live on a couple acres or more (which won't be for a looong time). Then my limit would probably be 4-5 dogs.

The 4 factors are Time,Room,and Money
    also if you rent or own
    Last edited by Zippy; 06-15-2006 at 04:53 PM.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

well i have 2 pure malamutes(pecco and raccoon), 1 wolf/malamute mix(sidon),two cats (bam-bam aka:bambie and bongo) but up until 7 months ago I had another malamute(nakota aka:nokie,kota cakes).but i have had alot of malamutes and until nakota died we were breeding them (raccoon and nakota) (pecco is their baby) but one time we had another female kiana (we had to put her down)and nakota and kiana had puppies at the same time but kiana couldn't feed her puppies so at one time nakota was feeding 24 puppies sSO I HAVE HAD 28 MALAMUTES AT A TIME but ya it depends on how much space and time and money you have.

well like everyone said it depends on the persons means, as to wheter or not they can care for many or none! I myself have 45 and can easily see taking on a few more!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I suppose it is different for each person so it is a personal thing. Our township only allows four dogs in a household. They don't need to worry about me because I would never go beyond the two I have. To me it is not just the money, etc. but the time that you have to spend *one-on-one* with them. I also have two cats so I feel that I am at my upper limit now. I only have two hands and one lap, and sometimes it is a bit crowded.

It depends on the person. I have two dogs, five cockatiels and over 40 bettas. I have the money and time for all of them. On the other hand, a relative of mine should never own a dog. Even a fish would be one pet too many.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Like others said, I think it differs from person to person. For me, I think 3 dogs and 1 cat is my limit but I would like to have another cat or two whenever we own a house. I would also really like to have horses down the road as well. But, for right now, 4 pets is enough!

Depends on the person. I can take care of 3 bettas, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 hamster, but in the future, I don't really plan on anymore Hamsters or bettas for the timebeing so I can give my dogs and cat more attention.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Everyone has their own limitations. For me, 3 dogs is fine - but I think I could handle four at most.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

it depends on the peson, how savvy they are about it etc.. I have no problem taking care of 5 dogs, 2 birds, 1 gerbil, 4 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit and several fish, and thats not many, I have had up to 6 dogs, up to 11 guinea pigs, up to 18 gerbils, up to 20 fish, and up to 4 birds, feel free to mix and match those numbers lol but I have had up to 25 pets at once and been able to give them all indivual attention, traing, exersize, affection, plus I have taken care of up to 8 dogs at once when I have dogsat for the naighbores, I have also taken care of all above said animals plus gone to a friends house 4 times a day to walk, train and give one on one attention to each of her dogs... I have the savvy to do this kind of thing, I love it so much that I make time, and still have time to hang out with my friends, mind you I also passed up every high school party I was invited to on account of "dog stuff" lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

To reiterate, it really depends on the person and how much they can handle. I would love to have way many more than I know that I can realistic about taking care of. I love taking care of my companions but I wouldn't feel good about it if I couldn't give them their individual attention.

Right now, I have three (one is a foster, though) cats, two gerbils, two fish, and I'll be getting another dog and cat soon. After we get the kitty and pooch, we will be at our financial limit. When we have our own house and a little more money then I feel that I will be able to take in a couple more pooches and a ferret but that would probably be the personal attention. Allotted attention does not include what would be needed for fosters.

I want a duck one day.