Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dogs killed one of my baby birds. I am devastated.

My dogs killed one of my baby birds. I am devastated.

No, it was not "mine". It was a wild bird. A dove, I think. I am extremely upset right now. I have been watching these birds for some time now. I don't even know how long. Momma and Papa built a nest right outside my computer room window and back door. I have been keeping an eye on them the whole time. They have brought me so much happiness. When the babies came along I was so super excited. There were two of them. I've been watching them the whole time. I loved watching Momma feed them. I had to watch the dogs the whole time. Katie would stand up on the house trying to get to them. Today both babies were out of their nest and resting in the corner of the patio. Katie knew they were there so I had to go outside with them when they went out to potty. Tori didn't even notice them. Katie tried to go to them but I told her "No, Leave it" and shooed her on out to the yard. They were both out in the yard when one of the babies fluttered over the gate out into the driveway. I walked over to the gate to make sure it was ok and when I did that Tori came running up. Realizing my mistake of taking my eyes off the dogs I turned just in time to see Tori pounce on top of the other baby bird. I screamed and got a hold of Tori. The baby bird got away from her by just a few steps when Katie seemed to just come flying out of the air and landed right on top of the baby bird. I screamed and swatted her on the butt and she immediately left it. I opened the door and both dogs went running inside. My baby bird is dead. I'm certain it died when Katie jumped on it. I think she broke its neck. All I could do was sit on the steps and cry. I'm not mad at the girls. They are dogs, animals and it is their nature. I did not protect my baby birds and I am devastated. I wonder if the other one will come back. He has ventured off before and wandered around the front yard and come back. I hope he is strong enough to fly off somewhere safe. I know this is long and probably doesn't make sense. I can't explain how upset I am.

Oh God, I was too upset to pick up the baby bird and after I typed my first post I had calmed down enough to go do it and now momma bird is sitting there

Sassy once killed a baby sparrow. I think it was a baby. Anyway, I was really mad at herIt's so painful thoughI am so so sorry.((HUGS))
    Last edited by Alysser; 04-18-2006 at 08:07 PM. Reason: forgot something

Oh, Robilee, sending hugs your way.

Oh Robin, I know how you must be feeling. I'm so so sorry. I feel like crying just reading your post, and knowing how much you are hurting. I wish I could give you a big warm hug. Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes things just happen that are beyond our control, you really did the best you could. I know that just seems like small consolation right now. I wish I could offer more, but I truly feel I empathize with what you are feeling right now and wish so much I could numb the pain for you.

Just take a deep breath and try to do something relaxing if you can. Turn on the TV a bit or read a book or burn a scented candle nearby, maybe have a cup of hot coffee/tea/cocoa or something soothing. I'd give you a nice shoulder massage if I could, help relax you . All my love to you Robin. You know you are always welcome to call me too if you ever need to talk.

Love,
    Jess
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I know you must feel terrible about this but there is nothing you could
    have done short of fencing off an area for them.I was crushed when my
    dog Buddy once killed a baby bird. It couldn't yet fly & Buddy saw it flutter
    around the yard. I was to late to stop him. I too felt so sad.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you Alyssa, Karen and Jess. Now both mommy and daddy are out there. This is just awful.

Robin, this is so sad My heart breaks for you. I can imagine how you feel. I have alot of baby birds being raised in my yard. Being so close to them makes it so much harder I know. Please take comfort in the fact that all things happen for a reason. I'm sorry that probably won't make it any easier.
    {{{{{HUGS}}}}} Rest in Peace little birdie

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

oh, i'm so sorry. having breeds with such high prey drive can suck sometimes. Gracie has killed chickens and Kodie has killed chickens and a kitten.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I really am sorry, Robin. I know you have mentioned how much you enjoyed having the babies in your yard. You have done a good job of protecting them, and helping mom and dad bird nurture them. They may have actually been safer in and survived much longer in your yard than they would have in many other places where there isn't such a caring human being too keep an eye on things. RIP little birdie.

I'm so sorry! Sending huge hugs to you!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Ohh no thats so sad (((hugs))) r.i.p. little birdy and other little birdy please come back.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I'm so sorry! I know how you must feel. A few years ago Marta dug up a nest of baby rabbits, and I tried to nurse them back and I fed them formula with an eye dropper, they were all doing really well, two of them looked healthy and even opened their eyes! But then they died mysteriously, I don't know why and I still feel very sad thinking about it, like I did something wrong.
    It wasn't your fault about the baby bird- you did a good thing by protecting them. I hope the other baby is ok.

Oh Robin, I'm so sorry to hear the girls got one of your babies. I know how much they mean to you. Please don't blame yourself, it's not your fault at all. I see this happened earlier this evening, I hope your feeling a little bit better now

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Awww, I'm so sorry. Maggy once killed a little bird too. It's so hard to not be bad at them because as you said, it's their nature.

Hugs to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes