Thread: Ivermectin paste ??

Ivermectin paste ??

ok I bought some ivermectin paste today, i havent used it yet on my rats!! bUT I herd alot of good things about it. It is for their mites/lice treatment. I dont know how to apply it, So I thought maybe somone that knows how to use it here, might be able to help lol.

thanks ..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I used Ivermectin paste for my rats, and it worked pretty well, however, they got lice again....probably from me not disinfecting well.

I ordered mine from RMCA for $5 and they mail you a rat portion not horse portion.

To give it to them, you need to use a toothpick and smear it on their teeth, so they eat it. Measure out the paste to be about the size of an un-cooked grain of rice.

Remember, If you over dose the rats, they can die, because that medicine is designed for a 1500 pound animal, not a 1 pound rat.

Good luck.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    I used Ivermectin paste for my rats, and it worked pretty well, however, they got lice again....probably from me not disinfecting well.

I ordered mine from RMCA for $5 and they mail you a rat portion not horse portion.

To give it to them, you need to use a toothpick and smear it on their teeth, so they eat it. Measure out the paste to be about the size of an un-cooked grain of rice.

Remember, If you over dose the rats, they can die, because that medicine is designed for a 1500 pound animal, not a 1 pound rat.

Good luck.
    It's actually half the size of a grain of rice.

You can buy Ivermectin from a feed store. I have dosed my rats SEVERAL times and dose every new rat that comes into my rattery. If you buy the actual paste like I do, you need to dispense it into a container and make sure you thoroughly mix it up, as if it sits to long in the original plunger it can become concentrated, so you must mix it. Then you can get your toothpick and dose them. I just scruff them and smear it on their teeth.

This dosing is actually being found safer to use than the injectable form, and now many vets are using paste to administer the drug. I have never had a problem and don't know of anyone who has, using this dosage and this way to administer it.

I dose once and then dose again a week later.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

ok so I take all the paste aout of the injector and put into a container and mux it?? then I take a tooth pick and put a bit on there teeth ????

tell me if I am right lol

Originally posted by luckies4me
    It's actually half the size of a grain of rice.
    According to my vet, the directions on the container from the RCMA, and all the people on RFC, it is a grain of rice.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I gave them half the size of a grain of rice, just to be on the safe side.. that hated it!!! lol