Thread: Belle is a bad girl

Belle is a bad girl

Our puppy Belle is a little over a year old and we are having some serious issues with her behavior. She has gotten the house training thing under control but she has other issues that are bringing us to a breaking point.

First, she won't stop licking us and being ridiculously close to us all the time. I like spending time with her, and when its just her and I she seems to be much better about this. She will lay quietly next to me, but if my girlfriend is in the house she will bother us both nonstop until someone gives her attention.

Secondly, she doesn't like it when we show each other (my girlfriend and I) affection, and will bark nonstop until we stop hugging each other. She will even do this when we are having a conversation and not looking at her. The barking happens ALL THE TIME if she isn't getting attention.

We have toys for her, she has a huge bed, crate, and I play with her alot since I work from home but these little behavior issues are a real problem for me. I have looked at taking her to a training business by my house that keeps her for a month and supposedly gives her backed trained but its a little over 2 grand.

Someone HELP!!!

Chon

Is Belle a Chihuahua by any chance?

So sorry, I needed to re-read the post. You told me that you have the house breaking under control already.

Belle has certainly attached herself to YOU my dear. What kind of dog is Belle?

I think that the training you spoke of would be a great option to consider.

Geez, , by now you must think I am a total moron.

Forget the 2 grand training, I back spaced after I typed advice about dog obedience classes, which I feel are in order.

This will not go away without YOUR imput. Belle seems to be testing her dominance in the pecking order big time. You must assert yourself as the alpha , and so doing, you must first learn how to communicate with her effectively. I am sorry you are at a breaking point. She sure does sound like a sweetheart. Hang in there, you will learn how to solve this dilema with the right training.

Belle is a yorkie.

What sort of things can I do to continue to assert myself as the alpha?

Thanks,
    Chon

Dorothy39 no offense but is your other personality taking over while you are away? jk We don't think you are a moron.... We would never think such!!! Snuggles is the same when it comes to affection. The dog may think that you are hurting your girlfriend or she could just be jealous. Ceaser Milan has a book. Sorry I can't be of better help....

Ah, she's a Yorkie - a.k.a. a Yorkshire Terrorist!

Ways to make sure she knows you are alpha:

Make her sit and stay before you give her any treat or even before you give her dinner.

When you come home, if she goes nuts, ignore her. Pay attention to her once she is calm, so she understands attention is on your terms, not hers.

How do you react when she gets barky when you and your girlfriend are showing affection and she gets upset?

Whatever you do, do not yell at her when she barks - this just makes her think it's a good thing - after all, now you're barking with her!

Yorkies do tend to be barky, but as with everything, a tired Yorkie is a quieter Yorkie - long walks, lots of games of fetch (more exercise for her than you) ...

Karen, I've got to hand it to you. Bravo!!! I seem to sometimes miss place my brain.

My mother had a Yorkie who did the same thing. When I hugged my Mom, Otis would bark , jump onto her legs, etc.

Oh Belle, you are such a sweetheart. and, a smart little girl who will pull through.

Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover850
    Dorothy39 no offense but is your other personality taking over while you are away? jk We don't think you are a moron.... We would never think such!!! Snuggles is the same when it comes to affection. The dog may think that you are hurting your girlfriend or she could just be jealous. Ceaser Milan has a book. Sorry I can't be of better help....
    Thank-You!!!

I don't know what I would do without friends like you!!!! (said Dorthy Gale)

You're giving good advice about Belle too!!! Geez, you guys know your dogs.