Thread: Vet dilemma

Vet dilemma

So, I'm moving. Not far, but still, I have a dilemma. Do I keep the same vet located in Williamston, or do I pick a vet that is closer to my new home in Lansing?

I did do some research and found a vet a mere 2 minute drive from my new home. The vet and her staff have rave reviews and I'm sure my pets would be in good care with them.

However, I have had nothing but great service from my current vet.

The major pro is that they are familiar with me and my pets and have been with us through all the traumas that Kia, Chipper, and Logan have experienced.

The major con is that it will take about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to get to them. A routine checkup is one thing, but what if it's an injury that needs prompt attention?

Also, the drive stressed Zam and Logan and I can't see making them endure such a long drive for routine checkups.

So do I take Zam and Logan to a new closer vet but keep taking Kia and Chipper to the current vet?

What would you do?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I would try the new vet with the kitties, and if they seem worthy, then you could bring Kia and Chipper around just so they are familiar with them in case of an emergency. 45 minutes might not seem long now, but with a dog in crisis, it'll seem like forever.
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with Karen. This way you can check out the new vet. You can actually still use the old vet too for the dogs if you feel more comfortable with them.

I used to try to go to the nearest vet possible because cats hate car rides but I've found that closer isn't always better. My current vet is farther away but she's wonderful and the animal hospital is also an ER hospital so it's always open. Good luck.

Karen said exactly what I was thinking. And who knows, you might LOVE the closer vet and eventually bring all the animals there.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Exactly my toughts too!

I agree with Karen:

I would try the new vet with the kitties, and if they seem worthy, then you could bring Kia and Chipper around just so they are familiar with them in case of an emergency. 45 minutes might not seem long now, but with a dog in crisis, it'll seem like forever.
    When we moved, we found there were 3 vets in the new area where we moved. So Dick went and interviewed vets until he found one that he liked. Ten years later, we're still taking them there.

Yes, you DO need a closer vet on board. Maybe the one you have in mind, but only by going there will you know.

You definately need a vet close by for emergencies, but go with your instincts. My vet is about 30 minutes from my home, in another county, actually, even though there are a few vets to chose from basically around the corner.

The thing is that Dr. Helmer is avian certified and I know him from my work at the bird Sanctuary. He is extremely knowledgeable about birds and has a wealth of information to draw from when there is an illness in my flock. Any of the other vets I have seen do not have the avian knowledge base and when I end up telling a vet basic information about birds like how to tell males from females or what a good weight for the bird should be, I would rather take the 30 - 40 minute trip for proper care. Last emergency that I used a local vet was a disaster and I wish I had gone to extra distance to see Helmer or Dr. Lightfoot, who is also in Tampa and avian certified. The only other time I used a vet close by was when my little Budgie Girl Betty's vent prolapsed and she had to be PTS.

Again, use your instincts. You know what is best for your babies and if you don't care for the service you receive or even the personality of the vet, do not return to them. I absolutely love Dr. Helmer and would follow him anywhere!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Thanks for the advice! I plan on going in and talking with the vets at the new clinic when I get a chance.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm in the same boat and we've lived in our "new" house for over 2 years. I still take the dogs to the old clinic 30 minutes away, but I take the cats to a closer vet who specifically treats cats.

When MooShoo was stricken in the middle of the night, I drove to Bolton Vet Hospital as it was only 20 minutes away. Didn't matter, because he died. If I had chosen to take him to my regular vet (this was a 2 a.m.) it would've taken 40 minutes. Either way my beautiful MooShoo is gone. Either way, my beautiful baby is now at the Rainbow Bridge.

Give it some thought, Kimmy. I didn't. Of course I never thought MooShoo would die of a blood clot either.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Ditto, I would do the same.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."