Thread: ShihTzus

ShihTzus

Like to know how Shih Tzus are as pets.What Health concerns should I be aware of?
    thanks very much devon. I have been boo'd.

They are generally sturdy little long-lived dogs, but you have to careful with their diet, as they can tend toward overweight, which causes other problems. They can tend toward respiratory problems because of the shape of their face and muzzle, and you have to watch for Cherry Eye, and be careful about them jumping up and down from high surfaces, as they can end up with back problem, like many long-backed breeds.

Because of their smush face, they may snore, but often this is just regarded as part of their charm.
    I've Been Frosted

My friend had 2, before she had bichons.

She said they are "dumb as posts," especially now she has 2 bichons. She can't believe she lived with them 17 years, lol.
    Last edited by Freedom; 09-30-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Well put Sandie.. I have not seen one that was very smart.. However they are good lap dogs.. They are very bonding to the owners..

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    My friend had 2, before she had bichons.

She they are "dumb as posts," especially now she has 2 bichons. She can't believe she lived with them 17 years, lol.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

My bubba is half shih tzu/half minitaure poodle. I am very careful to feed both my dogs grain free dog food so we haven't had any health issue with either one of our dogs yet.

I don't know about being dumb as a post...thats not very nice my bubba is just a little mentally challenged He is defenitely a velcro lovey dovey boy but he is aggressive with other dogs.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I grew up with a Shih Tzu - and I will have to agree with Freedom and lvpets2002 - they are not very bright - UNLESS you work with them! They are only as smart as their owners are! Our girl, Sushii (my mom named her Sushii cause her breath smelled like fish as a puppy!) was a little "slow", but I was able to house break her rather quickly, she knew sit, lay down, and stay. She was very good on the leash and LOVED other animals and people. She was very sweet and loved to be in our lap! I guess the "not very bright" part of her comes in regarding my nephew. He was only 2 when we had her in IL (my folks moved to AZ w/her a while back). My nephew would push her down our basement stairs and as we were yelling at him, Sushii would come back wagging her tail. He must of thought she liked it, as he kept doing it! He grew out of that rather quickly - spankings from my sister did wonders!

Sushii lived to be about 16. She went deaf and blind....my folks decided to put her down. I dreaded that phone call. She was a good stinky girl!

I love the breed - I am not big on small dogs, but they are one I would choose if I were to get a small dog.

Good luck - you know, there are lots of Shih Tzus in Rescues/shelters. They would love a new family! Whatever you decide - can't wait to "meet" your new pup.

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org