Thread: A total head scratcher

A total head scratcher

My friend actually had this question on a Job application...I keep going around in circles on it and its kind of irritating lol. Can anyone answer this and explain how they did?

I do wonder how this has any bering on real life, unless the family is packing explosives or something lol.

A family is moving and has a number of electronic devices
    in the same packing crate. One of the devices beeps every 8 minutes,
    another device beeps every 10 minutes, and a third device beeps every 12
    minutes. If all the devices beeped together at 3:00 pm, what time will
    it be when they all beep together next?

What is the job?

I honestly don't know. My friend has been answering math questions like this for over 3 hours just on one application. Quite confusing!

Caveat: I have been out of school a LONG time and my math memories are rusty. This may or may not be correct.

To solve this you would need to find the least common multiple of the numbers 8, 10 and 12. That would give you the number of minutes that must elapse before they are in sync again. Then you would add this number to the original time.

Therefore, the LCM (least common multiple) of 8, 10 and 12 is 120. So, add 120 minutes ... two hours ... to 3:00 pm and the answer is 5:00 pm.

I don't think the question is testing real-life problem solving skills. I think it is just a story problem testing basic math skills for a math intensive job.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I just found out that this was on an online application for a gas station. And thank you Twisterdog! Its a lot simpler when you put it that way lol

Don't ask me, I suck at math. I'm the only person on the face of the earth that keeps her checkbook in pencil!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I would answer, "I wouldn't know, I would be so busy doing my job that the beeping sound would be the least of my worries". Or, "I don't know, once the bomb squad arrived, they took control of the situation". Or, "I don't know, it got on my last nerve that I opened the package and removed the batteries". Or, "I don't know, I went on break and never came back, too much darn noise for me".

It was on a job application for a GAS station? Is there a single function that one performs at a GAS station that isn't electronically calculated for them???

My answer would be: "Who cares?".

Right on HappyLabs!!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

It will be at 5. You need the smallest number that can be divided by 8, 12 and 10 without leaving a rest. At 4 the 12 and 10 minute device will beep but 60 cannot be divided by 8 without a rest.

Edit: Twisterdog I now saw that we both agree- that makes it a majority decision

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I would answer, "I wouldn't know, I would be so busy doing my job that the beeping sound would be the least of my worries". Or, "I don't know, once the bomb squad arrived, they took control of the situation". Or, "I don't know, it got on my last nerve that I opened the package and removed the batteries". Or, "I don't know, I went on break and never came back, too much darn noise for me".

It was on a job application for a GAS station? Is there a single function that one performs at a GAS station that isn't electronically calculated for them???
    LOL this is what I was thinking. I found out more info: This was for an assistant manager postion at a wal-mart owned gas station. I don't see where a manager at a gas station would have to do this kind of math. Maybe its a test to see if people can think lol.