Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dogs won't stop following me!!

Unhappy My dogs won't stop following me!!

I have three great dogs. They are well behaved indoors, outdoors, at the store, in the car, EVERYWHERE! They listen. They aren't destructive.

They are perfect accept for one thing: They always follow me!!

This is great when we are at the park, but at the house it makes things difficult. They are always on my heels. When I'm getting ready in the morning I can hardly walk around because they are always right there!

I've tried teaching them that I don't want them to follow me by telling them to stay or "sschhhh"ing them (like the dog whisperer) whenever they take a single step towards me. They will stay, but as soon as my back is turned or as soon as I close a door behind me, they all follow!!

I don't know what else to do.

If anyone has any tips please let me know!

Thanks all.

I'm certainly no expert but it sounds like seperation anxiety maybe. My dogs follow me quite a bit too. I'm hoping some of our resident experts on this will chime in with some facts. Good luck at solving the problem

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

You have what I like to refer to as "velcro dogs". I have two myself! It can get annoying but I live with it.

What type of dogs do you have, are any of them herding breeds or mixes?

facebook

Yes, some of it does depend on the breed.

I have bichons. They are known to be velcro dogs! Some folks find it stifling, I enjoy it! Well, except when we all 5 try to crowd into my rather small bathroom. But they INSIST it is more fun than being on the other side of the door, away from MUM!

My dogs follow me everywhere but I don't mind it. Whats their stories? and what breeds are they? maybe they're glued to you. Tiger the kitty in my signature is more my shadow than the dogs. I think it's because my dogs are lazy. plus I am Tiger's person and he is very dependent on me. he even sleeps on my head. Of course my dogs are more independent atleast I think, but our hound Buster follows me everywhere the silly goose. I like being "stalked" by my animals.. hehe when I was younger and in the 1st grade our pit bull mix Daisy followed me into the school! I said that's my dog hehe.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

My two are never very far away but if I do want a few minutes peace I give them a rawhide stick each to chew on...........they both then disappear to different parts of the house to enjoy them, leaving me temporarily dog-free
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

My dog is a lab and his breed is known to do that. But I don't mind it at all. I think it's sweet. I don't have any advice as to how to stop it. I'm sorry that it upsets you. They just want to be close to you, is all. Dogs are pack animals and you're their leader.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Dogs are pack animals and you're their leader.
    I think that's what it is. You pack leader and that what they do is follow and do what the pack leader does.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Peanut and angel alex follows/followed me 80% of the time, i was often afraid if i stopped too quickly, i'd have 8 feet sticking outta my tush . As buttercup and dukedogsmom said, you're the pack leader, so they are gonna go with you, anywhere you go. I know sometimes it can be a problem, but i never found a way to make it stop. The treat idea is a good one.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

My dog Smokey does that all the time. Maggie only does it if she hears
    me pick up my keys or put on my shoes.( both mean a trip outside)

It is bothersome sometimes, but if I conciously ignore them & think only
    about what I am doing, it seems to help them & me.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I deny my dogs (and cats) nothing. They mostly follow me everywhere I go. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Our two dogs follow us too. We have built them an area for themselves in the yard and they spend quite a few hours in that each day. At night they have their own room to sleep in but in between these times, they're stuck on us like glue!
    Maybe you could use some babygates in your house to block them from coming in the kitchen or tv room. That way they could still see you but not be right on your heels.
    I agree with the other posts though, it's a pack thing and you're their alpha dog.

As far as their breeds go, two are labradors and the other a min pin. The min pin has seperation anxiety for sure, but the labs don't.

I think you guys might be right that they follow me because they follow the pack leader in the wild. I guess that means if I try to make them stop they might get confused because they think they are --supposed-- to follow me.

I guess I should just accept having an entourage.

Thanks all!

I guess I should just accept having an entourage.
    Enjoy it! at least you will never be lonely
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    I deny my dogs (and cats) nothing. They mostly follow me everywhere I go. I wouldn't have it any other way!
    Me too!