Thread: Urgent Pug Problem

Urgent Pug Problem

I hope someone can give me some answers or advice. I picked this adorable pug mix mutt up from a friend's place who had him for only about a month. They didn't know very much about him. Their neighbors had moved out and left him behind to fend for his own. I decided I'd give him a chance, I had wanted a dog for about three or four years. He's a very good dog, he's friendly, doesn't bark, doesn't beg, doesn't jump up on furniture or people, and is house broken. But for some weird reason he's not active at all. He hasn't even eaten or drinken anything since I picked him up yesterday. He sleeps all day, all night. If you call him to come, his ears will perk up, his tail will wag, but he barely moves. It takes him a while to get up, and even if it's only three feet to walk to you he'll strech sometimes three or four times before he reaches you then just lays right back down. He doesn't seem like an old dog, they thought he'd only be about three or four years old. In addition, when he looks like he wants to go outside to do his "duty" he doesn't. He runs away from me, or hides under cars, which is the most I've seen him move of course. I'm patient enough to wait to see if he'll come back in on his own, but he doesn't. He also isn't interested in playing. He hasn't had any of these problems at our friend's house, and I don't know what to do. I'm hoping I don't need to bring him back but I can't figure out what's wrong.

he probably needs some time to adjust. he's been through a lot with the whole moving thing. but if he doesn't eat or drink still after a while you should take him to the vet. im sure he's just getting adjusted.

Are you feeding him the same food your friend was?

Could you take him over to visit the person who gave him to you? If he acts normal while there you'll know he's just going through an adjustment period at your house.

If he acts lethargic and won't eat or drink while in their familiar surroundings, then it's time for a trip to the vet.

In the meanwhile it wouldn't hurt to see if you could get him to drink a little gatorade or even lightly sugared water to keep him hydrated.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

I agree with the other PT members. He probably is adjusting. Rusty, our 11 yr old foster was the same way at first. He wouldn't eat or drink for a few days. I got him to eat raw ground beef and some raw chicken, but he only took a little bit of it. He did the whole stretching thing too. Now he is adjusted well. Give him some time and try some raw beef or chicken if you can. A vet visit does not sound like a bad idea. Good luck and please keep us posted.

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Thanks for the advice everyone. He wouldn't eat the kibble, but would take bits of chicken from me. I mixed a small piece of it up into the kibble and he ate most of the bowl, then drank a bit of water thankfully. Only thing I have to figure out now is the whole outside thing. He doesn't exactly trust me too much with it. Everytime I need to get him inside I've gotta grab him and pick him up. He runs when I come near him. Hopfully I can figure out a way to remedy that as quick as I did his hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotics
    Thanks for the advice everyone. He wouldn't eat the kibble, but would take bits of chicken from me. I mixed a small piece of it up into the kibble and he ate most of the bowl, then drank a bit of water thankfully. Only thing I have to figure out now is the whole outside thing. He doesn't exactly trust me too much with it. Everytime I need to get him inside I've gotta grab him and pick him up. He runs when I come near him. Hopfully I can figure out a way to remedy that as quick as I did his hunger.
    Just take things slow, he has to have time to adjust. If you move to quickly with him, it could cause things to take much longer. Just remember, Baby steps. Good luck, glad he ate and drank some. Good dog!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotics
    glad that he finally ate! keep us posted

Usually takes a few days for a dog to adjust to new surroundings, so I wouldn't worry about that part. as for taking him outside I would keep him on a leash. If you have one of those extensible leads that would work as the dog could have more freedom but still be under your control. The one thing that makes me wonder is all that stretching he's doing when you call and the fact that he's lethargic. Was wondering if he could have a bladder infection or something, dogs with a uti stretch lot sometimes because of the discomfort. Maybe you could bring a sample in to the vet's? Just a thought.

I agree, he should be on harness and leash for trips outdoors for at least a week, maybe two.

He needs to feel connected to the pack. You need to be able to communicate with him. Leaving him free is letting him make too many decisions for himself just now.

When I got Sugar in Dec., she stayed on leash for all duty trips for 2 weeks.

Once you are sure you two are getting along and staying together, consider getting a harness for him. A step in or two step harness. Pet Edge has the one I bought for Sugar, here:

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=1270

Thanks so much for the replies! I began walking him on a leash for a few days now. I was quickly able to break him out of the hiding under car habit by just pulling him out and giving him some stern no's. He doesn't even attempt anymore. He romps around a bit, and after a few minutes with a bit of calling he'll gradually ease back on inside. I'm very relieved! Every day he does a bit less streching. I've been very very busy lately, and taking him to the vet isn't an option at the moment. Hopfully I can bring him soon just to get him checked out and verify that nothing's seriously wrong with him. He's been playing a little too. It's very hard to get contact of the friend who had given him to me to check which kind of food he's been eating, but while I was there I did note that there was kibble, not canned food. I hope changing his diet to what I baught shouldn't be too hard. I'm trying to get him onto just eating the kibble alone instead of having to mix it up with something tastier to get his interest.

His name's Piglet by the way. I hate it, it's a little too girly, but he's a bit too old to be changing it, so I just call him Piggy. I attached a picture of him for you guys. Hope it works!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

He is adorable! I am glad to hear that he is eating and feeling more comfortable. Thanks for being so patient and giving that cutie a second chance. Once he gets his new home figured out he will be your best buddy, I am sure.

I'm glad he seems to be coming around to eating, walking etc now. I'll
    bet he might be older than you think he is. Whenever he goes to the vet
    to be checked out, ask the vet to check his teeth & make a guess on age.
    I hope he continues to do well.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

your pug might just be scared. It's a new home and a new family.If she/he still does not want to eat,drink,or play take him/her to the vet.She/he might be sick or have a broken paw.I hope you find out what is wrong!!!