Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help :(

I need help :(

My Rottweiler has been sick for a couple of months on and off. She was spayed at the end of January and then we took her in at the beginning of March because she had lost weight, was puking, not eating, lethargic, and bloated. I thought she had bloat at the time and rushed her to the vet, they monitored her for a week and sent her home as she was getting better. She had a very high White blood cell count too. Then about 2 weeks ago the same thing happened again. She started to not eat regularly, lethargic, bloated, ect.. I took her to the vet beginning of last week and they examined her and send her home with amoxacillin. I was slightly irritated because she wasn't a 100% in my opinion from the last time she got sick and they still (in my opinion) didn't do anything for her, then this week while on her antibiotics she seemed to be getting worse. I made an appt with a different vet today. I wanted a second opinion. My vet was irritated when I called and asked him to fax all her info to the other vet. So I took her to the new vet and they redid the blood work and x-rays. They came in and showed me where there is a giant mass in her stomach and said it was an infection and if they don't remove it then she'll just keep getting sick and die. They wanted to do emergency surgery on her and aren't even sure if she'll make it through. The problem is the surgery costs $1336. I do not have that kind of money, I don't even make anywhere close to that kind of money in a month or even in 2 months. I'm absolutely freaking out because I don't know what to do with her, if I should just put her to sleep or what. Clearly something is wrong with her, she has a very high white blood cell count and an infection of some sort that isn't going away. I want her to be saved but obviously I can't do it. Does anyone know of a rescue or some sort of fund that can help her? She's a purebred, spayed, up to date on shots and flea/heartworm preventative, 1 yr old Rottweiler. We're in Northwest Indiana.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I'm so sorry you are going through this.
    The only thing I can think of is to apply for Care Credit. This is what helped me with my RB kitty Taz's kidney surgery. The amount is small enough that you should get it with no problem. The only other thing is to make sure the vet doing the surgery accepts it.
    It is just a line of credit, but they always have deals where if you pay it off within a certain amount of time it is interest free.

Care Credit is also good to have for routine visits. I even use it at MY dentist! Since I don't have dental insurance.

Good luck. I hope you can figure something out.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Here is a link. At the top of the page are some National groups. Then, go down the state specific listings for your state.

http://www.pgaa.com/financialaid.html

I suggest you contact all that apply, start with the Indiana Vet Assoc.

Best wishes to you and the dog.

Also, have you asked the second vet if they could work out a payment plan with you? She's such a young dog, and should have many, many years ahead if this infection can be eliminated.
    I've Been Frosted

is there any way that the mass was caused by the spay? I had a dog get sick once, only to find out via exploratory surgery that the original vet who spayed her didn't use absorbable sutures inside and the site had gotten infected over time. The Xray made it look like there were wires in her stomach until the vet found them at the spay site. Unfortunately it took more years for the problem to develop than the original vet's records went back, so I couldn't prove they were the ones who did the surgery.

They weren't going to let me do a payment plan as they don't accept them at the clinic but now I think they are. Possibly the only reason is that my friend is a vet tech there and is really pulling for me. They dropped the price down to $900 as well giving me a ton of discounts in every which way. I applied for CareCredit and only received $500 so I have to figure out how to come up with the rest now to pay it all off. I'm so glad it's working out so far though. I dropped her off about an hour ago, they are prepping her and she has surgery tomorrow. I'm still confused about what's all happening I wish they would explain more.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    is there any way that the mass was caused by the spay? I had a dog get sick once, only to find out via exploratory surgery that the original vet who spayed her didn't use absorbable sutures inside and the site had gotten infected over time. The Xray made it look like there were wires in her stomach until the vet found them at the spay site. Unfortunately it took more years for the problem to develop than the original vet's records went back, so I couldn't prove they were the ones who did the surgery.
    Almost positive it was because of the spay. The vet clinic yesterday printed out the entire medical history that my original vet had and gave it to me. There was a notice from Purdue saying my dog needed surgery IMMEDIATELY back in March and they never once notified us of it so my dog has been suffering for months and the vet knew and just kept giving her shots and pushing her out the clinic door.

threaten to sue them and call the media!

Well I'm glad you got the amount lowered and some help from Care Credit. $400 to come up with now is a lot better than over $1000.

I would definitely look into taking action against the other vet. However, it might cost you more in the long run. But something should be done so this vet doesn't let this happen again!

I hope all goes well with the surgery!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I am glad you got help and hope you can find the rest of the money. I am not sure if it was from the spay, if it was that is VERY rare to happen.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Well I'm glad you got the amount lowered and some help from Care Credit. $400 to come up with now is a lot better than over $1000.

I would definitely look into taking action against the other vet. However, it might cost you more in the long run. But something should be done so this vet doesn't let this happen again!

I hope all goes well with the surgery!
    Looking up reviews online there are some very nasty things on there about him and also my mom was talking to someone that dogs a lot of dog rescue and she won't take her rescues to him anymore because the last 2 dogs she has neutered there had bother there sacs badly infected. One was constantly bleeding and the other like split open in a way and was incredibly infected. The nurses said it was her fault for letting them be too active and licking at them but she had them both on cage rest and wasn't letting them lick at all(she's a stay at home wife that just does rescue, she's with them all the time watching them). So she was irritated with them as well and is now going elsewhere.

That is disturbing and shouldn't happen during a routine spay or neuter! I have never seen anything like that at all volunteering at spay and neuter clinics because the vets know what they are doing. Doesn't mean it CAN'T happen, but it's RARE for a dog or cat to have problems during a routine spay or neuter in recovering. I would make sure nobody you know goes to that vet to have anything done.

Even though I am a volunteer at spay and neuter clinics, I had my kitten, Angel spayed there which freaked me out a bit. I trust the vets and all because I have known them for years, but even though its your animal you worry a bit much and she came through fine.

I wonder if a secondary infection could be going on with her now since you said it showed up in March? I hope you're able to get the poor girl surgery soon.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by animal_rescue View Post
    Almost positive it was because of the spay. The vet clinic yesterday printed out the entire medical history that my original vet had and gave it to me. There was a notice from Purdue saying my dog needed surgery IMMEDIATELY back in March and they never once notified us of it so my dog has been suffering for months and the vet knew and just kept giving her shots and pushing her out the clinic door.
    That calls for a new vet and perhaps a lawsuit.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

This is horrible. I would definitely try to do something about your previous vet. Is there a Veterinary Board that you could possibly contact to let them know what's been happening with your dog? I'm so glad that you decided to go to another vet to get a second opinion. I also hope that your dog will be able to recover from this infection. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Luna made it through the surgery, it turned out to be an abscess that split open. She had puss all inside of her and they were worried that she wouldn't make it because of the infection from the puss. They had to up the bill to $1200 now, so I'm worried about paying it off now. Boo I thought I'd have to just do $900. I AM so glad she's alive and well now, hopefully she'll just get better from here now. They did say there aren't sure what caused the abscess but I'm still upset with my regular vet because he knew something was wrong with her, knew she needed surgery from his x-rays that he took, and still didn't inform us or do anything about it. I'm going to see what I can do to get him to pay the vet bill.