Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad to announce

Sad to announce

I am very sadden to announce the passing of our little golden(Dark Yellow Collar) boy:

We called him Golden and he was only 5 days old. He was doing so well but was one of the smaller pups and had the hardest time gaining weight. I feel like it is all my fault. I had decided to have a bath tonight while hubby and the kids were out in the pool. While I was relaxing I heard a puppy crying so I jumped out of the tub to run and check. By the time I got to the livingroom, where the pups are Sheena was screaming. I had never heard a cry like that in my life. She was in the center of the whelping box licking little golden boy over and over agian. He was turning gray in the tongue so I knew she had accidentally laid on him while attempting to feed the others. We tried several times to revive him. But it didn't work. He was such a sweet boy and was doing well. I have no idea why he went so fast. Between his cry and me getting there it was only a matter of a minute or two.

I feel like I failed Sheena and the pup. I know these things happen. I know it is a part of life and a part of breeding. I have dealt with it on many levels with all my years of fostering. But it never got easy and this has hit me harder and has left me more guilt ridden then I have ever felt before.

I feel awful. I should never have left them alone with her even for that short time. I felt they would be fine while I had a bath. They had all been sleeping and Sheena had done so well with them up till that.

I have already talked to the adopting families and one of them decided to wait till Sheena's next breeding. They totally understood and seem more worried about me then not getting a pup. Which really confirms for me what a great choice in a family they are. Which of course leaves me guilt ridden about that.

I am sorry everyone. I will not leave them alone agian.
    Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

Oh sweetie! I am SO sorry about the puppy!

Listen - you could have been in the same room as them, been doing something else for a minute or two - and the same thing could have happened. Dark golden boy is so little, and Sheena wouldn't have had to lay on him very long.

It was an ACCIDENT, Nicole!

HUGS HUGS HUGS to you, and dear Sheena.

Give that mom-dog some hugs, and heal your broken hearts together, just a bit.

Frolic at the Bridge, little one.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hugs to you and petting to Sheena.

(((Hugs)))

It was not your fault!

Hugs to Sheena too!

Yellow Collared Boy (aka Golden)
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

You are doing a great job with your babies,Dont ever think otherwise.

It is so very unfortunate,I have had many friends loose there pups to the same thing,it is not your fault.

Rest well sweet little one.

I'm so sorry Don't blame yourself, hon. You couldn't have been with them all the time. Everything happens for a reason and it was the little fella's time to go. He's at the bridge now, getting bigger and stronger.

Rest in Peace Little Guy

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Rest easy little golden boy. Don't blame yourself Nicole, it was a tragic accident and not your fault.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Thanks everyone. I know I am taking this harder then normal and I also know why. My disability is the main cause for how this is affecting me. I know that but I can't change that. I know it is natures way and accidents happen. But for me knowing something and feeling something are two totally dfferent things.

Golden was only 5 days old but it is amazing how much personality they show even at that age. And in 5 days it is amazing how attached you can get to these little guys.

I am there for the others and they have just as much of my heart as Golden does. Just because tragity happens doesn't mean my responsibility stops. They need me. But it doesn't change how guilty I still feel.

Thank you all for your support. I so need it right now. I am trying to focus on doing as we have been for the past week but it is hard. It is nice to know I have friends here who can understand and support me when things like this happen.
    Nicole & Sheena & puppies

Oh, I'm so sorry. I think it's just natural to blame ourselves, "if only I had...", but the sad truth is that if it's time, it's time, regardless how long or short that may be. My heart goes out to you & Sheena, she must feel so sad. At least with six growing boys to take care of, she will be keeping busy. And I know a Big Golden Boy who was probably standing there to greet little Golden boy and will watch out for him. (((hugs)))to you & Sheena.

Is Sheena ok, Nicole?

HUGS to you and those precious babies and the mom!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks so much.

Sheena is doing better. Last night she kept counting her pups and then looking for the missing one. Then over night she kept crying for him. But today she seems better. Wants to cuddle more with me and she is being overly protective of the 6 she has but I figure in a few more days she will go back to normal. I am trying to keep the routine she is used to going with some added play and cuddle time. I think she will be fine though in a few days. I know it hit her hard because she is a very emotionally sensative dog(which is one of the reasons she makes such a great PSD). But she is strong and with 6 boys they will keep her busy soon.
    Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

I'm so sorry for you and Sheena. It is such a tragedy but i'm sure it could have happened even if you were right there watching so please don't blame yourself. Give Sheena a big hug for me. Poor little girl.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

I am so sorry to be reading this. Hugs to you and Sheena.

Admittingly, I gasped at the title.I understand how you feel, NicholeIt's an image and sound you won't forget. I know you feel guilty. When I hit that poor little dog in June, the guilt was overwhelming. But it has slowly subsided. I believe things happen for a reason. Please don't whip yourself. You are a compassionate, loving, experienced dog owner/breeder and I greatly admire you. Please accept my condolences but know my RBCody has an important duty at the Bridge, and will surely be watching over Little Golden Boy. Please hug Sheena for me. Hugs to you too.

I've been Boooo'd!

I am so sorry.
    RIP Golden Boy.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)