Thread: Hissing

Hissing

The other day as I was laying on my pillow about to sleep, Fister was laying next to me, as usual, but he had been down in the yard all evening rolling in the dirt. He knows I don't like him washing himself while laying there next to the pillow, but when he thought I was asleep, he started again. I must point out, I was a little irritated already, I went down 3 times to try and get him to come up, but he hadn't finished his fun and I wanted to go to sleep!!
    Well, I turned my head and hissed at him, and I have never seen a cat jump that fast, he was definately very surprised and probably a bit shocked! But it worked! Must admit, I felt a bit bad afterwards - and he seem to have forgiven me!

To those of you who usually spray water on your cat when he/she is being naughty - try this! But not too often!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh the mental picture of you hissing at Fister!!

I just love it!!!

Since Edwina tends to be a bit of a hisser I'll have to try this on her!

(Would this be a take on the expression of "the hair of the dog that bit you"???)

Former User Guest
    Been there and done that too, and boy do you got their attention or what? I can imagine how Fister looked like, because when I first did it with Casper, he just coulnd't believe his ears. He stared at me like I was an alien or something. But it worked! Have to admit I don't use it often, otherwise they might get used to it and won't react anymore.

Yeah, that's a language they understand!! I would have loved to see his expression, but it was dark. John though got a bit of a shock as Fister almost jumped into his face!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

!!!
    I'll have to try that the next time little Rudy won't leave me alone while I'm trying to read.................
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

LOL I've never tried this yet. I'll have to try it the next time one of my cats is doing something bad and then ignoring me.

Oh Randi, that is too funny! I was already after your first post, then I read the second one where Fister almost jumped on John's face and I laughed even harder.

I know what you mean about them taking a bath in bed though. I find it irritating and that's when Tubby's by my feet, not anywhere near my face. Somehow Tubby's learned over the years, I think because if he eventually doesn't stop, I kick him out of bed. (bad mommy!)
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Ohhhh, how nice! Cat owners do understand! I feel much better now!!

Yorkster! Fister does this all the time when John is trying to read in bed - and if we're watching something especilly interesting on TV he makes sure to block the view or lay on the remote!

Randi, I know what you mean about trying to watch TV too!
    I swear we can call the kitties and there is no response, but as soon as we settle down to read or watch a movie................here they come. Kedi is the worse about doing it: looks at us like 'why are you watching that box over there when you could be looking at me?!'

I am laughing so hard right now that it is hard to type. I have a funny mental picture, poor Fister. You must have cracked up to see that.

I tried the hissing thing last night while trying to read. The new kitten came up to bother me by playing with the book's pages, chewing, pouncing when I turned the page, etc.
    Finally I looked at him and hissed! You should have seen the look on his face! Stopped him cold. After a few beats, he climb up on my chest and wanted to be petted, the n he left me alone. and went down to the end of the bed and entertained himself.

Originally posted by yorkster
    After a few beats, he climb up on my chest and wanted to be petted, the n he left me alone. and went down to the end of the bed and entertained himself.
    Awww, that's so sweet. It's like he wanted to be re-assured that everything was ok, and when he knew it was it was back to playing, but by himself instead of with your book. I guess it makes sense that if you talk to them in their language they will understand.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh,Randi too funny! Fister was maybe stunned with your skills in foreing lenguages? .

I did once,long time ago,to Koxka,who is the only one of my four that hissesjust to show her that if she could hiss to me I could hiss to her,she not even got scared,or stopped her cold,she just stared at my with those big blue eyes of her wide open!My girl is like this

Koxka

Randi sounds like you've mastered your degree in the Language of Cat