Thread: I'm going on a rescue trip

I'm going on a rescue trip

I'm going to Illinois near Chicago tomorrow to help a rescue get cats out of a building that's scheduled to be demolished next week. Knowing my life its probably a PTer we'll be helping, but I don't know the name of the group or individuals. Wish us luck. I kinda got my fingers crossed too that we find a stray dog in the building. We don't have many strays here, so I always want to go somewhere and find me one.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Bless you! I hope you all get the kitties safe, and that you find a dog for yourself!

Please update when you can!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm back. Unfortunately we didn't get to go to the warehouse. The rescue people are having trouble convincing the warehouse workers NOT to feed the cats so that they are hungry when we get there. The one leading the whole warehouse rescue operation decided it'd be a waste for the day since they ended up getting fed. I personally would have liked to go anyway as I'm not shy when it comes to grabbing animals out of hiding places and such. My sisters would have liked to as well, but we don't call the shots. They apparently like the wait and see method of catching the cats be enticing them with food. I prefer the straight-to-the-point grabbing. The faster they get to a better place, the better, imho.

My older sister did get to pick a rescue cat to foster though, And I got to play with all sorts of kitties who have already been caught.

It was a good experience too. This rescue is home based as are a lot in IL I guess. This is new to me as all rescues in WI that I know of have at least a small one-room facility if not bigger that isn't actually somebody's house.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

That is the problem SBR runs into when trying to trap ferals/strays for spay/neuter day, convincing people NOT to feed them that day! That is harder than trapping the cats in some areas. MIke had to really work hard with one old man in an apartment complex that had named all of the cats and fed them every day. It took him months to convince that man that this was BEST for the cats and that he WOULD return them to that complex. The night Mike went to trap them, the man watched everything and cried when Mike loaded them in the truck and drove off with his babies. He cried as he counted heads when Mike brought them back. Now Mike has a friend for life.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

This rescue can't bring them back unfortunately, since the building's coming down. I guess the workers think we're going to put some of the cats down, but its a no-kill rescue. My sister lost one of the cats she was fostering from the warehouse due to health issues, and a few kittens died because the mother hid them and abandoned them, but those are the only deaths.

It's great that the workers care about the cats and keep feeding them, but it's such a shame they don't understand the process.

Sounds like the person heading the rescue needs to talk face to face with the workers and reassure them that the cats will be taken care of and not PTS.

I hope everthing works out and they get out of the building soon!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome