Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drake's Visit to the Animal ER

Drake's Visit to the Animal ER

I meant to post about this yesterday, but was really too busy to tell the story. I also think I was shook up about the whole thing as well.

The night before last (Monday night) drake started throwing up. I didn' know why he was throwing up, but figured he had eaten something taht didn't sit well in his stomach. Then all of a sudden, Drake strart gagging and coughing like something was stuck in his throat. I freaked out and called my vet right away. He said that he was far away and that it would be quicker for me to take Drake to Buford (about 20 miles away) because he had a 45 minute drive to get to the clinic. So, I got directions and Drake and I were on our way. I am so lucky I didn't encounter any cops coz I was driving fast like a mad woman!

Drake had to be muzzled. He hates the vet's office. The vet was 5'1 maybe and was smaller than I was. So, I had to pick the Draker up and carry him into the ER. The x-rayed him and said there was something in his tummy. The decided to pump his stomach. They sedated him, took the muzzle off, and pumped his stomach. What was causing my baby to gag? A plastic bag!

Where did he get that bag from? I throw away all bags from the grocery store and never leave any shopping bags laying around. I just don't understand how he got his paws on that bag.

I had to wait until Drake woke up and then took him home. He is doing fine, but I didn't get any sleep. We got home at 2 AM and i had to be at work at 6 AM!

I figured I would catch up on my sleep last night. WRONG! I am having my wisdom teeth cut out on Monday and I am in alot of pain. Plus one of my good friends is going through a nasty divorce and had to call me up last night at 11:00 and talked for almost 2 hours.

Enough about me. Draker's doing well now. He was a bit mellow yesterday but this morning he was roudy as always!

Wow, Souraya! What a rough couple of days!! Glad to hear that Drake is ok! How scary! I'm lucky. My vets office is on-call 24/7 (but with my luck, if I should ever need it, I'd get that vet that didn't recognize Killi's liver failing! )

Good luck with your wisdom teeth extractions! You must be in pain. Hope that soon you will be feeling ok, too!!

Sue, Killi and Shi

Souraya there was a similar story on the cat boards recently. One of our members lost their kitty due to him ingesting a plastic bag!! I had no idea that a pet would do that. It certainly doesn't seem appetizing. I'm so glad that Drake is going to be OK! You take care of yourself too. It sounds like you have a lot going on right now!

Oh my! What a story! Our Draker was so fortunate that his mommy acted quickly and wisely.

Souraya, you did not freak out, you acted very wisely and possibly prevented a real disaster from occuring. You must get some much needed rest tonight! I hope your pain is subsiding from the wisdom teeth being extracted.

Whew! How frightening!! I'm sorry you had to endure that by yourself. I know it would have been good to have Andrew right there with you. Poor Drake and poor Souraya.

I'll bet someone sleeps well tonight. Good luck with that wisdom tooth extraction next Monday. You'll feel much better when it is over.

Oh Souraya, what a scare, you did so well in this emergency and what a thing to happen. A plastic bag., I never thought any pup would try to eat one of those. Thank goodness you brought him in and Drake is doing well now. Poor you too, I'll bet you will sleep well tonight. Congratulations on such quick thinking.
    Jackie

Souraya, you have been one busy girl!! So glad Draker is OK! What a scare! Your quick thinking and actions saved him. You are a constant source of amazement to me, you're here in America w/o your family, now Andrew is away, you hold down a job, take care of Drake and your home and manage to find time to help others, both human and animals, in need! And then this happens and you don't panic!

I hope you get some well needed sleep tonight and your teeth feel better. Maybe you should take a day off work and just relax around the house with the Drake-meister!! You would both enjoy that!

What a frightening experience! Good thing you did not lose your head and acted quickly. I'm so pleased that everything is fine with Drake.

Sorry about your toothache, I know how dreadful that is. Hope you are feeling better too!

What a scary thing to have happen. But you kept your head on straight and got to the vet quickly. I'd have been flying down the road too!

Sure took your mind off your teeth, didn't it?

Hope your surgery on Monday solves your problems.

Mary

So glad Drake is ok! That must have been so scary and a plastic bag is so dangerous!

I had my wisdom teeth out not too long ago (all 4 at once) and it wasn't fun . The ache will last for a few days but it does go away. On the bright side once you're up to eating people are willing to go out and by you ice cream .

Thanks for all your replies. Drake is back to his old self again

I am not so much worried about the surgery itself. I can handle pain for the most part. I will be all alone with no one to take care of me Andrew can get off but that would push him back in his training and will delay our moves at least 2 months. I do not want that! My brother is driving me to get it done and will ahve to drive me back since I will be recovering from the general anesthesia and can not drive. But then he has to go to school.

I am looking forward to getting a few says off work. Hopefully I will be feeling well enough to play with the Draker and possibly go to the shelter to walk the big dogs.

Just like the energizer bunny, I will keep on going! He!He!He!

Souraya, I am sorry I misread your original post! I thought you already had them removed the same day Drake ate the plastic bag. Now I realize you are going in this coming Monday.

If this post was a quiz, I would of flunked for not reading thoroughly! LOL

You will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Perhaps you have a friend in the area that would come and take care of you for a night or two. Or to atleast sit with you in case you need something. If I lived near you, I'd be there in a flash! Nothing like helping out a Friend!!!!

Isn't it amazing what even the most mellow dogs can get into their mouths and down to their stomachs? I'm so sorry you had to go through such an experience, but happy to know Drake is doing fine. Hope your surgery goes well and you can get rid of the pain very quickly. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Love from Carina and Alicia.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Perhaps you have a friend in the area that would come and take care of you for a night or two. Or to at least sit with you in case you need something. If I lived near you, I'd be there in a flash! Nothing like helping out a Friend!!!!
    Ditto on that! Except you probably wouldn't get much sleep with me around since I would be drilling you with questions, like I always seem to do!!

Candy, I think that is a good idea. I will ask one of my sorority sisters to stop by and check up on me. Pehaps so that she can Drake out for a while. I will be fine.

I am sure that my brother will come and visit. Andrew will drive up for the weekend. He is feeling really bad because he can't come and keep me company and help me out.

Mom says that I'm making too big of a deal out of the whole thing. I guess I am.