Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why even have a collar with no ID tags?!

Why even have a collar with no ID tags?!

A lot of people from work have their dogs wear collars but they do not put ID tags on them. They always tell me "they don't need them, they have microchips" but I really, really think they do. Seriously, what is the point of a collar if you're not going to put ID tags on them? My friend and co-worker changed her opinion when her mixed breed and Vizsla (her dream dog) got out. In order to get their dogs back they had to post flyers. The lady who was keeping them was thrilled to have found their owners, so had they been wearing ID tags they would have been home much sooner. Precious time you could be spending with your dogs instead of looking for them!

ID tags are so important to me. I was noticing today that Mandy's are getting hard to read, and so she will be getting new ones soon because it is just so important to me in case she were to get out. I still have Buttons' collar. He had quite a few ID tags. One displaying medical information (diabetic and needs insulin twice daily, is blind, etc.), another for microchip information, and another for contact phone numbers.

This is just something that really irks me. I think we'd have fewer dogs in rescue. Some shelters don't scan for microchips. Also, my friend's dog Ammo has a microchip, but last time she scanned for it, it was down in his elbow. I have never seen a shelter person scan elbows, they do around the neck and a little down the back. So even microchipping isn't always going to get your pet home!

Anyone here do that? What are y'all's thoughts on this matter?

my dogs where collars with no ID tags. they dont where the collars for Id they wear the collars so they can be held easy, only perky and Ripley wears tags, no idea why Perky does, she does not exactly run away, th elast time she got out of the yard she sat at the gate and waited for someone to notice lol taking her to the park is pointless as she just stands beside you as if she were leashed Ripley where tags and is tatooed because he is an escape artist. Happy and Misty dont go anywhere either, they hate it if anyone tries to make them leave my side lol Blair need tags..does not have any, he only wears a collar to make him easier to grab, we just through whatever collar on, he does not have a collar that is specifically his.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

My dogs stopped wearing collars all together for quite a while because my Dad thinks they're uncomfortable with them on but on Tango got out a while ago when I wasn't home and that changed his mind. Now I always keep a collar and ID tags on them. Tango needs a new tag though so I'm going to get her a collar with her name and phone number embroidered on it instead of getting her a tag as she seems to wear them down easily. My dogs also all have tag pouches on their collars so they don't lose their tags and because I don't like the jingling and I'm sure they don't either.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    my dogs where collars with no ID tags. they dont where the collars for Id they wear the collars so they can be held easy, only perky and Ripley wears tags, no idea why Perky does, she does not exactly run away, th elast time she got out of the yard she sat at the gate and waited for someone to notice lol taking her to the park is pointless as she just stands beside you as if she were leashed Ripley where tags and is tatooed because he is an escape artist. Happy and Misty dont go anywhere either, they hate it if anyone tries to make them leave my side lol Blair need tags..does not have any, he only wears a collar to make him easier to grab, we just through whatever collar on, he does not have a collar that is specifically his.
    With my first mentioned friend, her dogs do not get out. They are not escape artists. Her Vizsla does not leave her side much either, but they must go outside to the bathroom. The wind blew the gate open after her sister failed to shut it properly (an accident that can happen to anyone). They are good dogs, but the gate opened and they said "HEY! There IS more to the world than our backyard!" and they left. It's this reason that she will never be without tags on her dogs again, no matter how well behaved.

Molly only has her rabies tag on her right now.

Mickey has all of his tags, but only wears his collar on longer walks and car rides.

Some people are so scary that if they find a loose dog and want to keep it, they just remove the tags.

I really want to get both Mickey and Molly microchips, though.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I understand that some people chose not to put collars on their dogs for safety reasons. That to me is a personal choice, and one I can understand. However I don't understand why people put who do choose to put collars on their dogs don't put on ID tags. So many times I've seen dogs loose on the roads wearing collars but no ID tag. Recently my friend took in a dog that had a collar but he wasn't wearing any tags, it took her several days to find the owners. It could have taken minutes if they would have just taken the time to put some ID tags on the collar. She also took the dog in to get scanned for a chip and it didn't have one. When she found the owners she let them know that they needed to get their dog microchipped then go to Petsmart and get a tag made for his collar.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Some people are so scary that if they find a loose dog and want to keep it, they just remove the tags.
    Yes, of course there are people like that. But, there are also people like Uabassoon mentioned. People that, if there had been ID tags, would have returned the dogs to their owners the minute they found them.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Yes, of course there are people like that. But, there are also people like Uabassoon mentioned. People that, if there had been ID tags, would have returned the dogs to their owners the minute they found them.
    Thank God most do. My friend's Bichon Frise went missing for a few months during the summer. Turns out someone HAD removed his tags and just kept him. Too bad they lived in the same neighbourhood. My friend recognized her BF and her BF recognized her.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I don't understand why people wouldn't have ID tags. They are easy to get so there really is no reason. I hear stories all the time about people that had a great responsive dog that never left the yard and one day they take off. Its too risky.

all of my dogs wear collars but only 3 of them have ID tags...maggie and eli have ID tags and keesha has a tag that says if you find me to go www.getmehome.com and it has a number you put in the website and it will give you her/my info...the other 4 dont have tags because i just never got them any...i do need to get around to doing that though....all of the dogs use to have ID tags but they fell off or broke so i need to find some good strong sturdy ones

Quote Originally Posted by CagneyDog
    I don't understand why people wouldn't have ID tags. They are easy to get so there really is no reason. I hear stories all the time about people that had a great responsive dog that never left the yard and one day they take off. Its too risky.
    Not just that, but there are also emergencies that people never think about. What if there is a fire in your house, or someone breaks in and the dogs run away out of fear. Things can happen when you aren't home.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

If the dog I had found a few months ago had tags it would have saved me days of crying and stress. I would have gotten her back to her owner that day and not had to of worried about if i'd have to take her to the shelter or not.

Anyhow - My dogs have never ran away or got out. If they go in the front yard they just chill there. However, all 3 are microchipped AND wear collars with tags. In fact, I just bought them new tags for Christmas.

Any slight chance that my dogs would be returned to me if they get out/wind up in someone else's hands is completely worth it to me.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

HELLO?????? What are collars for??? MAXIMUS' only reason to wear a collar,
    is for ID. He has a separate walking collar. Oooo!! Otherwise, he'd always
    be naked.

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

Many many years ago, I did not have a tag (except the local dog license) on my first dog. Back then, I was young (well not really that young) and lived by myself and was afraid of putting my personal information on a dog collar where anyone could get that information. I figured that, a). everyone in the complex knew my little girl and knew where she lived, and b). if she got out somewhere else, whoever found her could identify her by calling the township, and they (the township) would contact me. However, I know of two dogs (not my own) who definitely benefitted from wearing tags, and have had ID tags on my dogs for years.

Gotta get Roxy a new tag! She used to have one, but it broke off the first time she escaped. Thinking about talking to the vet about getting her microchipped, and Lily doesnt wear a tag yet. Skye's never had one, cuz she's always inside.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography