Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does this annoy you, rat owners?

does this annoy you, rat owners?

It annoys me when i tell people that i have a pet rat and they reply with 'errrrrr!...they're vermin aren't they...how can you hold a rat etc etc'. People fail to see the intelligence and sweet natures of such animals because of their ill deserved reputation. Does anyone else get that? would love to know if it gets on anyone else's nerves or if it's just me!

Zimbabwe 07/13

It is most irritating to be sure. I get the same comments when I tell people we have ferrets. And you should see the reaction when they discover we have 2 snakes. Sometimes it is quite funny. Perhaps, rather than being offended you should take the time to educate the people on how wonderful it is to have a rat as a pet.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

yeah i know but sometimes it's really hard to change their view. me and my friend are determined to make everyone see the truth about them though!

Zimbabwe 07/13

As someone who has had rats, reptiles and invertebrates...I just grew a thick skin. It's much less exhausting than trying to argue with people about it all the time.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I haven't had rats, but I've had mice. It does get annoying but I prefer to brush it off, they don't know what they're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    As someone who has had rats, reptiles and invertebrates...I just grew a thick skin. It's much less exhausting than trying to argue with people about it all the time.
    I agree. I've gotten used to people having a bad attitude towards my pets. But I figure as long as I love them and care for them, who cares with other people think?

It is most irritating to be sure. I get the same comments when I tell people we have ferrets. And you should see the reaction when they discover we have 2 snakes. Sometimes it is quite funny. Perhaps, rather than being offended you should take the time to educate the people on how wonderful it is to have a rat as a pet.
    omg i have the same problem with telling people about my snake there like oh dont they bite you, im like ummm nooo..they are socialized, dose a dog bite you if it lives inside with people..noooo
    and then when im out with my bunny WOW people can be retarted they always say oh poor thing is probly frightened to death...(ya cuz ya know she hasnt been coming out shopping with me scince she was 3 months ) or they say is that a wild rabbit cuz of her markings..ya id really be able to carry a wild rabbit around.. omg i hate people sometimes
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    omg i have the same problem with telling people about my snake there like oh dont they bite you, im like ummm nooo..they are socialized, dose a dog bite you if it lives inside with people..noooo
    and then when im out with my bunny WOW people can be retarted they always say oh poor thing is probly frightened to death...(ya cuz ya know she hasnt been coming out shopping with me scince she was 3 months ) or they say is that a wild rabbit cuz of her markings..ya id really be able to carry a wild rabbit around.. omg i hate people sometimes
    some people know nothing about animals*sigh*

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    It never really bothered me. Even now, when I tell people I have had pet rats and plan to again...I just give them a quick happy rundown on why they make excellent pets and how they aren't New York sewer rats. Takes about a minute to explain it and then I just let it be.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

well i think rats can be kinda cute. pet rats are MUCH different then sewer rats and stuff. just be like, rabbits are rodents too yah know. so rabbits and rats are like in the same posse. lol... most ppl like rabbits. so they should think rats are nice too!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    just be like, rabbits are rodents too yah know. so rabbits and rats are like in the same posse. lol... most ppl like rabbits. so they should think rats are nice too!
    Actually, they are not. I love all rodents, especially giant African Pouched Rats, they are adorable and they are sniffing out land mines in Africa!

Niņo & Eliza

Being a breeder and owning about 35 rats it doesn't bother me anymore. I just tell them they're stupid and walk away.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Being a breeder and owning about 35 rats it doesn't bother me anymore. I just tell them they're stupid and walk away.
    i like the way you deal with things lol ya rabbits arent rodents
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Rabbits are lagomorphs. But they can be looked at similarily.

well someone told me rabbits are rodent's. thats why they have to ride with the cargo when they go on planes.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*