Thread: retraining dog pee locations

Red face retraining dog pee locations

My husband and I laid new sod in our yard and the 1 1/2 year old terrier mix we have, Sully, has decided to expand his peeing location to every inch of the new stuff. Any suggestions to moving him to start peeing in a new location in our yard? He has is not tied down and roams our smaller yard as he pleases. We have tried to water the grass down after he pees and we tried some stuff that was supposed to stop his pee from changing the grass. Any suggestions for a new dog owner? We got him from the pound about 6 months ago and I have always had cats and my husband has always had dogs but I think this is my problem to correct as I am home more. HELP!

What you can do is to take a jump rope, or a piece of rope, and make a large circle. Keeping him on a loose leash, take him there everytime to use the bathroom (and praise when he does!). If he attempts to use any area outside the circle, correct him and bring him back to the circle. This also makes clean up easier. After a while of doing this, test him..let him off to use the bathroom and if he goes to the circle, immediate praise and a treat. If he goes to another part of the yard, bring him to the circle. He'll catch on eventually.

There are also products available to spray, and to keep animals away...let me see..
    Off Limits Spray
    Scarecrow Motion Detection Sprinkler
    Or what about just a small picket fence of some sort? Or an invisible containment system-it would be safe both for your lawn and your dog.

Let us know how it goes!

You should make an area for the dog to go and call him to it everything you let him out and say a word (if you have one to make the dog go?) and eventually he should realise that its his area, give him plenty of praise when he does do it so he knows hes a good boy but give it time because hes used to being allowed on all the garden so just dont give up and it will happen

Try buying a pee stick. They sell them at PetCo. You put it in the ground and it has some kind of smell (that only dogs can smell) that tells them, this is good place to pee.

thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    Try buying a pee stick. They sell them at PetCo. You put it in the ground and it has some kind of smell (that only dogs can smell) that tells them, this is good place to pee.
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest!

Otherwise training your pup to pee on command and walk him on a leash and have him go in the same spot every time you bring him outside, giving LOTS and LOTS of praise!! The poor pup just wants to mark the new sod as it being HIS yard though hehe

facebook