Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wigs for cancer patients, please read.

Wigs for cancer patients, please read.

I complimented a woman at the doctors office today on her hair and she responded with "Thank you, it's a wig." Well, we got to talking and by the time the doctor called me in, I was in tears. This particular woman had an especially hard year. Her only child died, three months later her husband left her for another woman, and then she was diagnosed with breast cancer and had no medical insurance. I was already thinking about how horrible it was that she had to go through all those hardships and then she told me the cost of a wig. Did you know that a good human hair wig cost $1000?! The synthetic ones are very uncomfortable for them because their skin is so tender from the chemo. So really, they need human hair wigs. I think that it is so horrible that on top of dealing with cancer, you have to come up with a $1000 to get a wig. From seeing some of my friends and family go though chemo, I know that their hair means alot to them. Some people lose alot of dignity when their hair falls out.

I looked online for some non-profit organizations that help cancer victims. The only one that I have heard of is Locks of Love. They provide hairpieces for financially disadvantaged children under the age of 18. You can donate your hair to them for the wigs. I had already begun to grow my hair long since hair grows fast during pregnancy. I will continue growing it for Locks of Love. They also accept monetary donations.

I strongly urge you to contribute to Locks of Love. After talking to that woman, I feel that I would be selfish not to grow my hair out for someone. If you are interested, please read their rules on their website. Hair has to be 10 inches long and can be colored but not chemically processed.

Thank you Wolfie!

I have a freind with the most gorgeous, thick head of hair. She's a nurse. She has been donating her locks for years. She grows it to below shoulder length, then has it cut to ear length and donates it. Her hair goes so fast...it amazing how many people she's been able to help over the years. I really admire her for doing that! Thanks for posting this, Tonya

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I've always thought about doing this, but when it get's uncomfortably long, it's not long enough for them.
    One day, I will though.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

My daughter did this several months ago because she does gymnastics and it was too much trouble...they sent her a very nice thank you card, it was really a nice feeling.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

i am growing my hair now i have natural high lights red, blonde, and brown
    and i am going to cute it all off for free for a wig.aunt had breast cancer a while back and her wig wasnt that nice but it was like 3k

My sister donates hair to them

I don't cut my hair often, but even when I do it's never long enough. I forget what the minimum length is, does anyone know?

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

It is 12 inches.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Originally posted by caseysmom
    It is 12 inches.
    They've changed the rules a bit according to a friend of mine. I just checked on their website, the minimum is 10 inches now. It takes 3 donations on average to make one wig.

Thank you Wolfie!

There was a big scandle a few months ago about Locks Of Love. Yes, when you hear about it and read there website, it sounds tremendous. Donating your hair to give children free wigs. However, some things blew over and they found out that Locks Of Love was actually SELLING a certain amount of wigs, as opposed to giving them all away. They were making profit on my hair. I think not. I have 18 inches of hair still in a braid in a bag on my dresser waiting to be sent out. I haven't found another organization that I have not heard "bad" things about, yet, to donate my hair to. I'm in no rush.. if they're going to try to sell my hair. It's gorgeous, in my opinion, and I'd rather have someone who needs it and doesn't have the money to pay for one to get it. Sorry.

There was a thread about this very topic on another board I belong to. If anyone would like to see if, I will go dig it up.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

Human hair wigs DO cost alot of money.

My daughter, who lost her hair from chemotherapy after a malignant brain tumor, has been wearing wigs, both real and synthetic for over 12 years. Her hair never grew back and no one can tell that she wears wigs (except when I dare her to flip her wig off at someone at a stop light ).

Whenever she gets new wigs, she donates her other ones to a program through the American Cancer Society. They are then given to people who have or had cancer and lost their hair and cannot afford to buy them. My kid, who only buys the best, had some nice wigs. I think it's a wonderful program, along with Locks of Love. My best friend's daughter had hair down to her butt when my daughter was diagnosed. She purposely had her hair cut to shoulder length in honor of my daughter. These two girls are bonded in a very special way.

Buckner,

I never heard of the scandle . I'd be interested to see something on it. I'm gonna go research it. I don't blame you if you feel that way. Maybe there IS another organization that does something similar to Locks of Love, only doesn't sell the hair.

There was a scandal a while ago about Make a Wish Foundation as well. Supposedly they were raking in lots of money and almost none of it went to helping kids with terminally ill diseases realize their wish. Not sure how it turned out of even if it was true or not.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by RubyMutt
    My sister donates hair to them

I don't cut my hair often, but even when I do it's never long enough. I forget what the minimum length is, does anyone know?
    10 inhes i went tp the hair cut place and asked

I'm growing out my hair for locks of love. I have been wanting it to grow long for a long time so I could donate it. Especially after reading this I know that I am definatly going to. Sure I'll have shorter hair, but I think that it will feel great to know that I helped somebody for no cost what so ever!

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday." - unknown author

However, some things blew over and they found out that Locks Of Love was actually SELLING a certain amount of wigs, as opposed to giving them all away.
    I'm not sure if it's really considered a scandal. It says right on the website.

"9. Hair that is short, gray, or unsuitable for children will be separated from the ponytails and sold at fair market value to offset the cost of manufacturing."

It makes sense to me. If your hair can't be used to make a childs wig then they sell to hair to make money for the program. It's a non profit organization, so any profits that are made go back directly to benefit the program of making wigs for children.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Locks of Love is coming to my school tomorrow.

I *REALLY* wanted to donate, but my hair isn't long enough. Im trying to get my friend katie to do it, because she has *LONG, LONGGGG* hair, but she says that they're going to cut it off to her ears, but i told her since she wanted to get her hair cut anyway, and the people who will be cutting the hair are professionals she should do it, but she doesn't want to.

I think it's so sad though,

As long as the hair she donates would be at least ten inches, they do not mandate that they cut it "up to the ears" or anything, and the haircuts are done by professionals.

My very first "real" (as in, not baby sitting or pet sitting) job in the whole world was at an Eva Gabor wig store. We sold mostly synthetics, and had some "real hair" wigs. The "real" ones weighed more than twice as much as the "fakes," and cancer patients usually went with the synthetic both for the comfort and the price. The "real" ones were also much hotter, I was told. For these reasons, I have not donated my mop to Locks of Love, but do support others' choice to do so. I just wouldn't want to inflict a hot, heavy wig on anyone.

Perhaps wig technology has changed, but I haven't heard that. And I usually get it cut before it gets "long enough" anyway.