Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Galen has been united with his brother Randy...

Little Galen has been united with his brother Randy...

Well, Galen is doing wonderfully!! I talked to the ACO today and she asked me if I could take his brother Randy, an orange tiger.

It seems that Randy went to a foster home (yeah right, a foster home for all of 2 days to be socialized!!!) He slept with the girl, played with her. But when he was returned to the shelter, all he did was hide in his cage.

So, I now have Galen AND Randy. I can't understand it. Socializing takes a while. It takes patience, love and understanding. 2 days just doesn't cut it. When I got him home, he hid. He's scared. I told the ACO that I was worried that Galen would revert back to his feralness with all the noise and commotion that goes on in the shelter. Well, that's what happened to Randy. She said that she's going to wait till the woman who originally fostered and worked with them, Roberta, comes back from vacation to make a decision! I was flabbergasted! If these poor babies can't be socialized enough to be adopted, they're might be put down! I will NOT let that happen. I am going to do my damndest to socialize these babies. They will stay here as long as it takes, if I have anything to say about it.

I guess now I have to go get some Turkey baby food. Whatever it takes.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Ok moosmom!

It's the next few days of intensive socialization for you! Both of them have to be held constantly! turn on tv, radio, have friends over if possible to hold - expose them to every possible thing- (you know what's funny, feral kittens seem to come around quicker after having to be medicated) I am not suggesting that- just saying that awful contact with us actual teaches them that we aren't going to eat them! HAVE GREAT FUN- USE CAT NIP, CAT DANCERS ETC!
    pixie

Good luck and bless you for your commitment to these little guys.

From Decker with Love

Best of luck Donna! I hate the thought of these two being put down just because they are feral! That's disgusting! I know it happens all the time but it still ticks me off!
    Good luck and we know that they are in the best of hands! Keep us updated on these two babies.

Galen is a riot! It's Randy I'm worried about. I went in there this morning and let them out of the cage. Galen was running and playing all over the place. Randy put his tail between his legs and hid.

I haven't opened the window or turned on the radio BECAUSE of the noise. Maybe I should. At least enough so they get air and get used to the noise.

I held Randy and whispered to him. He began to purr but hid his face in my armpit. I feel bad for him. This is gonna take a while, I'm afraid. But I will do everything I can to make sure he comes out of his shell.

Thanks for the support.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

randi

That's what this feral kitten that I last had would do, purr in my arm pit, eventually in my arms and lap, and while she ate, but the minute I let go, she was off and running and wanted to be with my cats but nothing to do with me! Sigh...Keep him caged with his brother and let him see how much his brother enjoys your attention. It works. Have you ever noticed when your giving one cat lots of pets and attention, someone else comes around, then someone else, eventually a few? They have the capacity (science has just acknowledged) for empathy. Cats can see their peers recieving love and know what that feels like! (and other emotions). Keep us posted!
    pixie

Randy continued to hide while I played with Galen. I have a feeling it's gonna take alot longer than I thought.

His right eye is ooky so I put teramyacin in it.

Randy reminds me of another feral I tried so hard to socialize. I named him Grumpy Dave, after my Dad. He and his two brothers I had trapped behind the post office in CT. They were in a cage in my spare bedroom. GD's brothers came around pretty easily. He was the last hold out. He finally started purring and would sleep on my chest. He would butt my hand with his head when I opened the cage door.

I took all 3 of them to be neutered. Unfortunately, Grumpy Dave reverted back to his feralness and never came around again. He now lives his days outside in upstate CT with other ferals on a farm. He looks JUST like Randy. I hope this isn't deja vu of my three CT boys.

Uh oh, and once he reminded you of Grumpy Dave, is it not hard to feel down- hearted? Give it your best- it's not GD, just a look-a-like who doesn't mean to fool you! I'm sure you are doing your best!

Leslie,

I am baffled. I went in there last night before I put them both in the cage for the night and he was purring when I picked him up. He played with the teaser wand and a furry mouse when I was in there reading.

This morning I went in (I had let them out around 6 am to eat) and he was all curled up in the trash can!!!! I picked him up and he looked scared. Galen was playing away, rubbing up against me. I looked into Randy's eyes and whispered and blinked. He blinked back everytime I did.

The one thing I DID realize was that Randy kept seeing his reflection in the boom box I have in the room. He saw his reflection and ran behind the cage. I turned the box around so there no shiny part that will reflect. I hope this helps. I have also been treating him for an ookie right eye with teramyacin, which might also not be helping his trust in me.

I just don't get it. But I'm also not giving up. As long as it takes.

Good luck, and (((HUGS))) to you for caring!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

meds are good!

I know this sounds weird but both jan and I have found that feral kittens that need to be medicated, socialize faster. It's probably the forceful human contact! Like I said, wrap him up in something (a t-shirt- have his head out) and tie him to your belly for the day and he'll be socialized for life- thats what they do here in Ipswich and they've been in the paper for socializing some nasty ones! Forced human contact (I'm not one to speak, I'm horrible at it!)

I was given one of the "pooch pouches" by my best friend. MooShoo hates it and hissed at me when I tried to put him in it. So I might just try it on Randy.

It's like a baby carrier for cats/dogs. I came home from work tonight and BOTH of them were asleep in the window hammock, so left them out in the room rather than putting them in the cage for the night.

Well, the good news is Galen is finally socialized and will do well in a good home.

The BAD news is Randy is still a shy little boy and is a real tough nut to crack. I'm keeping him till he's socialized enough to be placed in a home. Maybe once he's away from his brother, I can get a little one on one with him.

progress!

Of sorts! At least for Galen! Now for Randy! Hmmm. Put him in that baby thingy and make him sleep with you! (kidding). Now that you are working= less time for Randy I suppose. Is his cage where he can see you sleep? So that he knows you are not always big giant cat eater?
    I now always put cages in my bedroom and once ferals are getting some "time out" during sleep hours (usually cuz I am unable to corale them back into cage for the night), have found them curled up on the bed with me! When we sleep, they have an opportunity to smell us without being so afraid (is all I can figure).

Donna,
    I know you know this already...but, I want to just offer encouragement. It takes SO much time, patience, love, and then, sometimes, it still isn't enough. I have had Minnie 2 years. 2 years! She is WAY better, but, I still can't approach her without her running from me. 2 years! She comes out only at night time. Hang in there.