Thread: I don't know what I need!

I don't know what I need!

We know FOR SURE that this cat is pregnant! We can feel 'em kicking around! So what do I nedd for cat birth???How can I get my cat prepared?We have put aside one room for her kittys to be born in.We put sheets all over the floor and made numerous comfertable beds and hiding places for her. Is there anything else I need?
    I'll keep you guys updated on my mother to be kitty!
    SArAh
    ~proud of being owned by Mabel the smarty pants tabby, Cosmo the white pawed golden retriver, and Cookie the musical guinea pig~

what about food,water and some toys
    candifloss225

Of course! I spoil my kitty! She has like 9 toys in there and I feed her treats alot and make sure her food and water bowl is never out!
    SArAh
    ~proud of being owned by Mabel the smarty pants tabby, Cosmo the white pawed golden retriver, and Cookie the musical guinea pig~

I think Queenscoopalot, Jenluckenbach, Kimlovescats and others that rescue can give you so much information you'll be overloaded. Good luck and make sure to take pictures.
    Last edited by slick; 08-15-2004 at 11:10 PM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

she doesn't need toys to give birth! she needs to be left alone!
    A cat is about to give birth when you see her squatting repeatedly. Even then, it could be a couple more days. once she starts delivery, if she has delivered before, just leave her be or check on her every 45 minutes or so. Noise and comotion can cause problems with delivery so you want to keep things quiet. If she hasn't delivered before, and she trusts you, then stay with her (quietly and soothingly) but no one else. Ask QueenScoopalot and Kimlovescats about the things that can go wrong and how to address them (like babies getting stuck, mom not chewing off umbilical cord etc). Good luck and remember, the less you panic, the less she will panic!

She needs a quiet place. A box or bed with towels or some kind of bedding that can be changed when it gets dirty. If you allow her free roam to an entire house she will move your babies to a place you can't find them, so try to confine her a bit. Be prepared with a phone number for a LOCAL vet AND emergency vet (as these things happen after hours) just in case. For the most part, she will do it all by herself, but you must be prepared for the possibility of a mishap. Make sure mom is receiving good food, kitten chow has extra nutrition, and lots of water. Good luck.

I read up on everything I could find about cats giving birth before Pervy had hers. Hubby laughed at me and said I was being silly because she knew how to do it. Well, unfortunately I had to do a lot!!! I was so glad I knew about cutting the cords and helping deliver the afterbirth, cleaning the babies, and helping poor Pervy. Now this is not the norm at all so don't worry but I felt so much more confident since I was prepared and it kept me calm so I could stay with her and keep her calm.
    If you are lucky enough to be with her during the birth then just do everything quietly and calmly and she will hopefully take care of the rest!
    Of course I studied up on all of this in my pre-PT days. I now know where to come to get all my advice!!!

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!

You sahould go to the Vets,and get sonme Hills P/D Cat Food,especailly designed for Momma Cats,about to give birth!Good Luck,and Prayers,are on the way for Momma cat,and Kittens!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

To Jen- I wanted to mention you as an advisor of birthing advise to but I swear, when called upon, I cannot properly spell the user name- it is now written down on my notepad!
    And Catcrazylady- I had no idea you had gone through such an ordeal! I've never had to help a mother deliver (lucky!)

Kimlovescats just helped with a pretty complicated delivery and posted quite a few pictures. She also posted a warning that some were graphic and not for the faint of heart I thought they were beautiful - but anyway - if they may be helpful to you they are HERE.

Some discussion and details of the delivery are HERE.

Hope these links are helpful!

well that was a very, very good idea! She hasn't posted back at all so I wonder if she ever will even check back here?

who will
    candifloss225

Originally posted by Candifloss225
    who will
    Fuzzypaws, the person who wrote this thread.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

oh i hope everything's ok
    candifloss225