Thread: Major Hair Loss...help!!

Major Hair Loss...help!!

I was just curious if anyone else is having the problems I am. I have a 3YO black lab that looses his hair like crazy...more than just seasonal shedding. I finally found a dog food that unbelievably kept the shedding to a minimum. I coundn't believe it...When he started eating Nutro only there was hardly any hair. Even in the tub at bathtime I hardly found any hair. All was fine until he started getting recurring ear infections...after various medications and no cure I decided to start looking at pet forums for answers. I found that some dogs develop a food allergy and it causes the ear infections. I visited the vet and suggested it to him (what do I pay him for). We decided to put him on hypoallergenic food and have not had a ear infections since then. However, the hair loss is tremendous. Any ideas for this problem?? Is there no happy medium??

Well... glad to hear his ears are good now,,, but,,, is he a nervous type of dog? Is the hair loss noticeable on himm I mean,, does he look balding????

Is he happy and healthy otherwise?

yea..He is a very nervous dog. Does not like to be around any one he does not know or does not like new situations at all??
    I always say that if we ever got rid of him he would die because he is babied so bad and we know how he is and what he likes.

Yes, I can see where his hair is thinning...especally on the stomach.

Otherwise, yes he seems healthy and happy. He is the best dog. He just lays around all day and watches the house.( Not normal for a lab. ) They are usually very rambunxious (sp?)

Hmm,, well,, it sounds like the shedding is just his way of releasing some of the nerves he has,, I know when my dobie gets stressed,, she can leave a pile on my carpet of her hair... (well,, not literally but you know what I mean)

As long as he is eating, doesnt lose weight or become depressed,, I wouls think its safe to say he is just a shedder and youll just have to get used to it,,,, But I am not a vet,,,, have you spoke to the vet about it? I am sure its nothing serious.....