Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It bothers me...anyone else?

It bothers me...anyone else?

I resent it when someone flaunts their religion in my face. I see it at work, and just recently have seen it in on this discussion board. To me, religion is a personal thing (although some people might not agree), and I don't know why this should be something you need to advertise in your cubicle, on a bumper sticker, or in a signature.

OKOK I know its a free country and we can all say whatever we want to, but somehow it offends me. I respect everyone's beliefs, I just don't need them pushed in my face.

I suppose I could turn signatures off in my options, but then I'd miss seeing all the doggies and kitties. And that's why I'm here :-)
    honor

Greta & Cassius

Ooooh, it bothers me very much! Lately I've been wearing my gorgeous pentacle around and it's becoming even more of a problem.

I don't know what makes people so presumptious. It's very sad.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Yes... It bothers me very much too.

I have a pretty strong aversion to preachy types, who try to shove their beliefs down my throat or anyone else's.
    Select * from breeders where clue > 0
    0 rows returned
    Cheerfully Childfree

Many of us who are Christians are taught to "Go and make Disciples". Religion isn't much good to anyone if it isn't shared. Frankly, I like to learn more about people's different beliefs. I do not think I force my feelings on anyone, but I am ready and happy to talk about my religious views whenever anyone is open to listening.

But I understand where you guys are coming from, because there are always zealots (sp?) out there who do not operate the way that most of us do.

Logan

Originally posted by Logan
    Frankly, I like to learn more about people's different beliefs. I do not think I force my feelings on anyone, but I am ready and happy to talk about my religious views whenever anyone is open to listening.
    Oh, I agree, but at a time and place of *my* choosing, not when I have to look at it in the course of doing something else which is not related to religion at all.
    honor

Greta & Cassius

is this flaunting? to me, it is just part of who I am - just curious if this is what you mean..(ichthus below), as do the kitties and flowers!
    PS ...WolfChan...does your rainbow "marriage is love" mean anything???
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 04-06-2004 at 12:11 PM.

First, let me state that I'm not religious at all. I consider myself spiritual. I believe in certain things, but, I do not believe or agree with everything in any religion, which is why I'm neutral like Switzerland in that department. I will say, though, that if you're passionate about something, whether it be politics, religion, pets, music, whatever...you should most definitely show it. I am a self-admitted easily annoyed person, too. But, bumper stickers, signatures, etc, just don't bother me. I don't want anyone coming up to me in the mall or the airport, but, I don't think less of them or anything. It does annoy me, though. I really have to control myself, because sometimes I just want to wack 'em. But, that goes beyond people with literature or speeches about religion, that's anyone that invades my personal bubble while I'm out. Vendors with products, people with surveys, etc.... But, I'm passionate about animals and would picket outside of Woof & Co, or any other place of business that sells puppy mill puppies. Despite the fact that a lot of people disagree with that. And, I have several bumper stickers that show my music taste, and, even my name here is my favorite band. If my bumper sticker is flaunting my choice of music in someone's face, which I don't think it is, then, I'll continue to flaunt away. If I was a church going person, I'd probably have some religious signature or something, but, as it stands, I'm just a nice, compassionate person, and, my little quote represents that. I agree that it's annoying for people to preach at you, or insult you for not believing a certain thing...but, advertising with signatures and stickers, or t shirts or hats or pendants or whatever, I'm all for that. It's personal expression.
    Last edited by guster girl; 04-06-2004 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

And, just to share a story about what I think is offensive. I used to date a guy in a band called Velvet Love Box. I had their sticker on the bumper of my car, and, my car was parked in my driveway. Now, my neighbors at the time were highly religious, and, the exact kind of people that keep me far, far away from churches. We nicknamed them the flanders. Anyway, she was a complete ***ch. I can probably say that in here, cuz, it's a female dog, but, just in case. She was preaching at me, and, questioning my lifestyle, because I was just getting home when she was leaving. It was about 5:30 am. And, she decided to become interested in me as a person, and asked me what the bumper sticker meant. She said the name out loud, and, asked what it was....so, I proceeded to tell her that it meant "pu**y" and I even threw in a hand signal in the shape of an upside down triangle in the appropriate place on my body. Needless to say, she almost passed out, and, never spoke to me again. THAT'S what I think is offensive. Had she never gone any farther past her bumper stickers and sign outside her door, I'd have left her alone. As it is, I'm sure she still prays every night for me.

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Bumper sticker on cars, and the rest doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me is when they come to my house uninivited, and try their derndest to get in my door. Or I come home, and there is literature hanging all over my door. Thats where I draw the line, this is my space.

What somebody else puts on their on car, their own desk or what ever is their business, but please stay away from my space. That happens to be my house, my car or whatever else happens to be mine.

Willie
    Last edited by trayi52; 04-06-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Originally posted by trayi52
    Bumper sticker on cars, and the rest doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me is when they come to my house inivited, and try their dernest to get in my door. Or I come home, and there is literature hanging all over my door. Thats where I draw the line, this is my space.

What somebody else puts on their on car, their own desk or what ever is their business, but please stay away from my space. That happens to be my house, my car or whatever else happens to be mine.

Willie
    Exactly.

Thanks, Dogz!

I happen to agree....if you are keeping it on your things...in your work space etc then fine. But when "good Christians" start invading my space with their views I become very annoyed. I have always found that the people who are constantly going about proclaiming what "Good Christians" they are are usually not. People who really are Good Christians don't usually feel the need to beat me over the head with it. They quietly go about their lives feeling secure and happy with who they are. Just as I do mine.

The other day this very old man came into our work and dropped off some soil samples to be analyzed. He left behind a piece of paper with some very immflammatory Bible statements and words upon it. Things in the line of Repent your sins. I was soooo highly offended. How dare he?!??!! But then I shook my head and realized that he is just a misguided soul on his way to you know where in a hand basket.

Denyce

You know what's odd....I have found Jehovah's Witnesses to be some on the nicest, sweetest people ever....I try to chitchat a bit if they come to the door...and they're also the first to back off if you say "I'm not interested", which is VERY much appreciated.

I have no problem with people sharing openly and talking about their beliefs. I think it's great to know a lot about all sorts of religions...after all, how are you going to know which one is right for you if you only know anything about one?!

I don't like poeple telling me that they will pray for my "salvation", that's rude and disrespectful. I don't like people telling me that my beliefs are wrong. I don't like people who wear their religious icon around their nect to come and tell me that mine is "evil". I'm very respectful to anyone's system of beliefs, until they start causing problems.

Now, I'm not saying that I dislike christians, BUT....various sects of christianity are the only groups who have EVER caused me problems. You don't see us pagans out on streetcorners thumping out book of shadows, and all I ask is that same respect. (That put a really funny image into my head)

My "marriage is love" banner means that anyone who is in love, reagrdless of their gender, should be able to marry. If you want to continue this branch of the conversation PM me about it.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

it bothers me when people start trying to force me in to thier religion. and when they tell me they'll pray for me or something.

like i had this piano teacher and she was a die hard catholic and every chance she got she would tell me something about her church and how i should go there with her sometime and one time she told me i was going to go to hell because i wouldn't go to her church. and before every recital(sp?) she would tell me that she lit a candle in her church so i would play well.

that's the kind of things that annoy me. but if people want to put it on thier own things then that's fine with me.

also, i find the whole Jesus vs. Darwin fish thing on the cars very amusing

I personally like it. To me its a matter of showing people who you are. People don't do it enough anymore. I am very spiritual, and would like to make the time to go to church reguarly... but I have a million excuses not to go on Sunday. I still have a deep faith in God and like to pass it on.

What I really find annoying is when people walk around wearing this or that designer's name emblazoned across their chest, their butt, on their purse, wherever. These names have become the modern day icon that people worship... to me thats highly offensive. Media has had a terrible effect on people. They run like sheep to buy a hideously overpriced item just because thats what so-and-so in such-and-such tv show has. Its embarrasing!

Its gotten so bad that many people act as if stars are today's god(s) and they throw it in my face. Every aspect of their lives are displayed for public viewing. They are spoken about with a certain reverance that has historically been used for saints. I really have a hard time with it.

All that said, I am definately for quiet displays of religion. My sister in law... ah, what can I say about her? She takes it one step too far. There's not one conversation that goes by that she doesn't tell us she's praying for us. Then she preaches to us about what we are doing wrong. That gets a little old. Yes, I am happy that she finds solace in God. Yes, she has the right to share her love of God. But she *could* temper it. Instead of "I've been up all night praying for you." she might say "you're in my prayers." and leave it at that... not go on and on about what she prayed about and how long.

I do not find a religious saying or picture in a signature to be offensive. No more than I would find a pro-gay rights saying in a signature to be offensive. My gosh, it's only a signature!

Everyone is different, it's what makes the world interesting. If we were all the same on here, what would be the point in even logging in? It would be like talking to hundreds of copies of yourself ... boring.

If discussions of religion offend or infuriate you, don't post or read in the Dog House. Simple as that. You already know that religion is a hugely controversial topic, and the Dog House is the place for that. If you aren't thick skinned enough to handle it, then don't come here, IMO.

Now, if someone is talking about religion on any other board here, I think it ought to be moved.

I don't like to get preached at either ... no matter who is doing the preaching or what it is about. But, this is a MILD board, it's rare than anything gets out of control in the least here.

IMO, if you don't like it, don't read it. Simple.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien