Thread: harness training

harness training

Paul and I have started trying to train Boomer to wear a harness. We bought a really nice nylon one from a store here on base. It had been going well, We were to the point where we could leave it on him for a few hours without him having a hissy fit ( sorry) Unfortunately we've suffered a setback today that will mke us start all over. The poor sucker decided that he'd had enough of the harness and started jumping around like a mad cat, eventually smacking his poor little head on our glass door. Now he cowers whenever i come near him cause he's afraid i migth have that evil red thing with me. ANywho, here are some pics of attempt #2 to harness train him:

Get that thing away from me Mommy

Eww I think it moved!

It's definately following me

Ackkk it's touching me!

Bring that thing near me again and I'll bite your hand off!
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Aww poor Boomer - what is Meowmie doing to you? Try to be a good boy with your harness and Meowmie can take you for a nice walk outside!

Those pics are great - Boomer is stunning! I LOVE his markings!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I never tried something like that with Tigris and Filou. They would go crazy

Good luck.

Thanks for such cute pictures. I don't think Boomer likes the harness Idea! LoL!
    I don't even want to think about the pain I would get if I tried that with Sunny!

Good luck with the harness training.

Those picture are great, and I am always happy to see Boomer. He is such a good looking kitty. The expression on his face in the picture when the harness is on him is great.

Bob wears a harness when he goes to the vet. He has gotten used to it, but then again he is generally so mellow that he just goes with the flow most times.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Ackkk it's touching me!

ROTFLMAO!!!

That is exactly what it looks like he's saying!

I would just keep doing what you're doing - leave it lay around for him to investigate on his own. Eventually he should get used to seeing it around, then you just have to get used to having it on him. Sounds like it wasn't a problem at first so I wonder why he freaked the second time.

Thanks for the pics!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

you probably would have better luck trying to teach a snake to rollerblade.

When Eddie gets the harness put on him, he freezes and keels over........he won't move...

He won't walk, so he doesn't need a harness
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

A Snake Rollerblading?????

Edwina wears a harness when she is in the yard......

Poor Boomer!

Three of ours don't mind the harness because they associate it with going out and having fun. Pickles, well, he is his own cat and refuses to have anything adorning him ... it made me sad to see him hide under the bed with his harness so we don't bother him with it now.

Can you re-start training Boomer with a collar, because it shouldn't be as intimidating as a harness? Then, slowly re-introduce the harness to him. Good luck.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

hehe teaching a snake to rollerblade lol!! Boomer is already collar trained, he has to have a collar on at all times per the base rules. I think we might be making progress, this morning he stepped over it instead of giving it a wide birth when i left it in "his" hallway. The poor thing hid under the blankets on our bed all afternoon yesterday i think he's wised up so it might take a little longer this go around

The only thing with a collar is he's fine with it until I hook a leash to it. As soon as he feels restrained he BOLTS
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl