Thread: I feel like something is wrong with Dusty

I feel like something is wrong with Dusty

I don't know if I am being a hypochondriac, or there truly is something wrong with him. First he got that small sore on his face. It was round and looked almost like a burn. All the fur was missing and the skin was raw but not punctured. Now, the spot is much larger! He won't stop rubbing it with his paws. He's acting like it itches. I have been giving him benadryl and cleaning it and putting neosporin on it. I can't use an E collar. It is kind of his lower chin to neck area, so the collar would rub.

Also, his behavior is different. He's usually extremely hyper and unaffectionate. Now he is being calm and cuddly.

Also, he is licking EVERYTHING excessively. From his feet, to the carpet, to the couch, you name it.

On one hand, he seems fine and the spot doesn't look to bad. But on the other hand, he isn't being himself.

I have thrown money away more then once for no reason on my pets. The worst was when I spent $300 on all these tests on my bearded dragon because he wasn't eating. Everything came out fine and he ate the next day. Right now money is tight because of my shoulder surgery. I shouldn't take him unless I really have too.

Here are some pictures. The ouchie is actually bigger then what it came up in the picture. The part that you can see is where it is totally bare. The fur all around that area is wearing away. What do you think?

Roxy says she has to be in a picture too:

It's really hard to see in the pic, but maybe it's a hot spot?
    Is it kind of oozing? Do search for hotspots and see if you can find any pics.
    Poor guy I hope he gets better.
    Maybe a bath in a gentle oatmeal shampoo would help the itching?

If one of my dogs had a sore like that, I'd be at the vet right now, but that's just me. He may be licking himself excessively because he's uncomfortable. My personal opinion, for what it's worth, would be to take him to the vet now before it gets any worse or possibly infected.

A few words : Take him to the vet!

Honstly, He seems as if he needs it.
    Money short or not, you're the one who brought him into your home, now it's your responsibility to give him what he needs.

It could look small and be something large -- It could be large and be something small -- You'll never know until he visits the vet and the vet knows how to treat whatever it is, big or small!

There's obviously something visibly wrong.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I would take him to the vet. Make it clear that you are very concerned but very short on cash and maybe they can help you out.

I too say take him to the vet. It look like what Angus had before, does it ooze smelly yucky stuff? His was just a bacterial infection & they cleaned it and gave him & shot & some meds...only around $80-90 here. But I say if you leave it & that is what it is, it will just keep getting bigger.
    Please let us know if you find anything out.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I'm going to take the afternoon off and take him in. This morning, the whole side of his stomach was wet like he was chewing on it. I think he has some sort of allergy or skin infection.

it could possibly be a spider bite if the neosporin is not helping and it's still getting bigger, i'd definately get the vet to check it. If it is a spider bite it will not get better on it's own and neosporin will only slow it down.

Originally posted by thunderdog
    it could possibly be a spider bite if the neosporin is not helping and it's still getting bigger, i'd definately get the vet to check it. If it is a spider bite it will not get better on it's own and neosporin will only slow it down.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Glad you're taking him to the vet.

I used to take Chester to the vet at the slightest (or imagined ) problem. Since we got the girls, I'm not as bad. I fight the urge to take him a lot now, for things that I know I can handle. But in a case like this I think I'd rather go and look silly or waste $ than to have something be really wrong.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Tonya. Hopefully it's just a little fungus or something - do dogs get ringworm? But the licking would worry me, too. Let us know right away when you get back from the vet, OK?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I hope you find out what's wrong with him. If he does have some kind of allergy that's making him itch, here's some great shampoo! Duke was really itching, biting, licking everywhere till he got some hot spots on him. The shampoo the vet gave me wasn't even working. So, I just went to a pet store and got this. Oh, the oatmeal stuff did no good either. This stuff is the best: Kenic Tea Tree Pet Shampoo. It worked wonders on Duke.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I hope everything is fine with Dusty--please let us know when you return from the vet!!

Like most of you, I call my vet at the drop of a hat--I am such a worrywart!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I'm a worrywart too! But my six year old son goes "Mom, you never run me to the hospital when I have a scrape." I'm like "hmmm, good point." My appt is at 3pm. I'll let you all know.

Well, what did the vet say about Dusty?

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I'm sorry, Anna...I'd posted a second thread so that everyone would catch it. It was good that I took him in...He had a staph infection. They gave him a shot to curb the itching and he's on antibiotics.