Thread: What do you think?

What do you think?

I have a truck, and I would never ever put a dog in the back of it mostly for fear they could jump or fall out and get injured. But today I saw something interesting. I saw a truck and the bed had been converted into a giant crate for his dog to ride in. There wasn't a dog in it at the time, it was in the parking garage at school. But I knew it was for a dog because when I looked in the back (Hey, I was curious) I saw those soft dog water bowls and lots of doggie toys. So my question is do you think it's safe and ok for the dog to be in the back since it is encaged? Or do you still think it's wrong? In a way I don't really think it's that much different then people who crate their dogs in the back of an SUV when they are traveling.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I don't like the idea of crating during a carride. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I'd much rather have the dog in a doggie seatbelt. I'd worry too much about the crate moving around or the dog moving around in the crate and possibly getting injured.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

The crate in this truck couldn't move, the entire bed was a giant crate.
    I've been Defrosted!

I think it's fine, as long as the crate is securely in the vehicle. If for some reason I ever have to leave my dog/s in the back of a truck, I'd keep them in a secure crate or the very middle tied to a short leash so that they can't reach the edge, and so the wind can't get in and infect or bother their eyes.

I once saw a pickup truck with a huge homemade crate that took up the entire back. It was wooden, and their was a hole where the dog's head was sticking out. To get the dog out, they lifted the top off. I thought that was so cool.
    I've been BOO'd!

That's kind of what this truck was like, only I didn't see an opening it looked like he just used the tailgate.
    I've been Defrosted!

was it big enough for the dog to move around in? I'd worry too much about the dog when we happen to go over little bumps. Have you ever tried standing on a bus without holding onto something? LOL I guess..If I was a slow driver and everything was secure then I'd probably be fine with it.

was it big enough for the dog to move around in?
    Yes, it took up the entire bed of the truck. Usually Missy stands when I drive her around and she's fine. She stands so she can stick her head out the window.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but in my simple mind dogs have more balance because they have four legs on the ground. LOL to me more legs means more balance. Does anyone actually know if they do or not. Because like you said I have a hard time standing on a bus, but Missy can stand on my car seat just fine.
    I've been Defrosted!

Lol hmm i've never thought about it that way. I'm sure if I went on all four..I'd still fall lmao.

I have a shell for my truck. I have done a few transports and taken fosters to the vet, using my truck bed with the shell on it.

I prefer to have the dog in the cab with me, but the cab of my small truck is uncomfortable for large dogs (great danes for example), and it becomes a hazard when transporting more than one. Many times I used a large crate (48 inch long by 30 inch wide by 35 inch tall) to be able to make transports more manageable.

You can look at my webshot albums, of my Transports 2003.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Have you ever tried standing on a bus without holding onto something?
    LOL, today I stood up to get off the bus and when it stopped I swayed so I grabbed on to some guy and I fell and he fell on top of me.
    I've been BOO'd!

LMAO! hahaahah I've done something like that lol.

I have a chain that runs across the back of my truck. The dogs are chained towards the center so that they can't jump out and choke themselves nor put their heads over the sides. I was told that dogs get alot of cataracts and eye damage in the long run from bugs and debris hitting their eyes if you let them hang out of the vehicle. If we have a long trip, I crate them and tie the crates down so that they can't move in an accident.

I live in a farming town...what freaks me out is the farmers around here with flatbed trucks...there is nothing but flat back there. And you see dogs laying back there like nothing...or when they're lying on top of the toolchest thingy.

I would worry about that, simply because if you git into an accident, or even had to stop suddenly, the dog could go flying if it was on the wrong end of the truck. Then again, maybe that person's dogs are like Star and just lie down and pass out on car rides!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I'm sure it depends on the dog.
    For example, with me, if it were Jada, she would just lay back there the entire ride, calm and cool. However, Riley would jump all over the place and probably hurt himself He's a little bit of a spazz!!!

About the four legs thing, I had never thought about it that way, but I think you're right. Kito stands in my CRV all the time and never falls over--he even tilts with the bends to keep his balance.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada