Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: what's in a name????

what's in a name????

why do parents insist on penalizing kids by trying to be 'cute' when they name them at birth?

i just tried to track down a case in my computer
    database and could not find it..

it's spelled JOHNATHAN, not JONATHAN.

i really do not care what phonetic, creative, cute
    way you decide to spell or name your kid....

but be warned.....your child will be misplaced, hassled, made fun of and made to spell his/her name for the rest of their lives.

Please do not angrily call your school, doctor's office, department of motor vehicles, dentist, credit card company or any other business when the name your parents gave you (as cute as it was when you were a kid) cannot be found in our database.....

-michael, mychal, mychael, mychyl, michal, michyal- all sound the same to us.

It's up to you to get us the PROPER spelling in the first place-make sure that you spell it to
    us when we take your info down for an appointment or reservation.

do not get upset at us when you call in for your child and you tell us your kid's (DAUGHTER'S) name is "MYCHAL SMITH"- i guarantee it that you will become indignant when we then ask you how old HE is..

and do not get ticked off when some one takes MYCHAL SMITH'S paper work and 'mispells' her name-
    puts that ALL IMPORTANT INFORMATION under the
    name of MICHAEL SMITH. i am sure your child will enjoy getting vaccinations they had the year before-all over again.

motto of the story?

be ready to spell you kid's name over and over and over again!

do not be quick to punish people trying to help you out because they cannot figure out how to spell YOUR kid's name.

sure, everyone will remember your kid because they have a 'unique' name....but be prepared for them to get lost in the shuffle of a computer database because we cannot be as 'creative' in spelling as your family was.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

AMEN!!

What also pisses me off is that this trend of mangling traditional names is that people think they're so unique for it. As if calling on Geniphyr is going to sound any different from calling on Jennifer in the classroom. Grrrrrr....

tsk tsk tsk Rychrrd.

The people doing this are what I like to call "the special people".

They're the ones who believe that just because the sign says "no cell phones" that it doesn't mean them.

That the express lane sign of "1-10 items" doesn't include them.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Can you imagine the fun I've had with my name - especially in England!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

lol, Richard. That is my husband's opinon. Our son's name is Jaden. People often call and refer to him as her, or mispronounce his name. Jaden always has to say his name over and over again as the person goes "Jason?" "Jordan?" "huh?" Mike says the next kid has to have a normal name with a normal spelling. I disagree though! I love unique names with unique spellings. My name isn't very common where I live; especially the spelling. I have always had to spell my name out, but it's never bothered me. I enjoy having a different name.

Jaden is a very popular name these days.

When everyone tries to be "different" the more they stay the same.

that's as bad as those "clever" first names that are puns or worse when added to the last name. I'm appalled that Mr & Mrs Case think it's amusing to name their kid Justin

spelings don't bug me too much, unless they're just silly. But, I think it's awful to give a child a name they can't grow up with. Kids are cute and it's funny if they have cutsypie names, but parents need to remember that someday that child will be an adult and may be a captain of industry or something. I try to imagine the name on the door of a CEO office. If it doesn't fit, then it's not a good idea.

I made a post a while ago In general about how much I hate my name, Baylee
    Jaden always has to say his name over and over again as the person goes "Jason?" "Jordan?" "huh?"
    That happens to me all the time, they're like "Belly" "Beky" "Smelly" "Kailey" and if they do sound it out right they spell it wrong, Bailey, Baily, Baileigh, Baylei, Bayley? NO it's Baylee just how it sounds
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

Don't be upset that they "mispell" your name as it was originally spelled Bailey. The onus is on YOU to correct them, not for them to somehow intuit how your parents chose to spell it.

Originally posted by lbaker
    that's as bad as those "clever" first names that are puns or worse when added to the last name. I'm appalled that Mr & Mrs Case think it's amusing to name their kid Justin

Randi and Tonya,
    try growing up as a "DICK"...

Jaden isn't off the beaten trail....

it's the 'WYLLIM, JAYSEN, MONYKA, JACKYLYNE'
    spellings that get people into trouble!

LB,

i have literally seen tens of thousands of names in my job....

we had a person named HARRY APPLE......his kids names??

Candy, the other was Redd or some such name like that..

there was a Rex Carr-a great race car driver's name!

and there was the famous, Ima Hogg!!

lol......
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

and there was the famous, Ima Hogg!!
    You can't forget her sister Youra Hogg!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Ok, how about this? My first day at school and I have a girl named Elektra who goes by Jetta. Hmmm....

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Yes my uncle in scotland is called Dick, now unfortunately here in NZ it has another not so nice meaning, I mean who starts these ridiculous slang anyhow, in my day Dick was just a guy's name.

my daughter's third name is Tamsin, also can be spelt as Tamsyn,Tamzin, but not too hard to spell really is it?

My poor mother's name is THOMASINA no offence to any other THOMSINA'S on here, but it is not a name she particularly like's, I guess her mother did as that was her name.

I have never wanted to call my child after myself, even though I am happy with my name, I alway's wanted them to have their very own name, as they are an individual.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I'm with Tonya, I love obscure spellings!

*David Bryan, the keyboarder of Bon Jovi, named his daughter Tygerlily. I LOVE the name. His son is Colton and Colton's middle name is Luna. (I think..) What's wrong with that? I love it!*

When I have kids, here's a few names I like.

~Izabella
    ~Cameron (boy or girl)
    ~Mikenzie
    ~Ashleigh, Ashlee, Ashlie, anything.

I admire people with names spelled differently. Especially Baylee.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.