Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on quitting smoking????

Advice on quitting smoking????

My dad recently learned that he has to quit smoking. Well he asked me to quit with him.He is on pills to help with his cravings. I told him that Iwould quit with him. My question is does someone have any helpful hints on quiting???

Well I used those plastic coffee straw stirrers. You can bite them, play with them etc..
    I had quit for over 12 years. I started ( I hate to say this) 8 months ago when I retired, and bored.. ( no excuse) but New Years is coming.. lol..
    also drink lots of water and if you want a cig- get a drink of water. A doctor told me this would help flush the system out as the liver etc detox's..

Please call 1-800-QUIT-NOW. My husband is a quit counselor, and they have centers across the US. They will counsel you and your father and give good tips, plus you can get free nicotine patches to help with cravings. I'd really encourage you both to do so- it's a free program and it can help you!

Thank you , I will call them. My dad is doing good . His doctor prescribed him something stronger than what you get in stores.

Advice on quitting smoking????

Well when I quit I just did what you call it Cold Turkey.. Now when I quit the was no such thing as patches & gum.. I of course had to sit on my hands alot, but I made it.. Have not smoked to 15 years now..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Yay! Congratulations! Think of us cheering you on, every step of the way. Lollipops - sugarfree if you are worried about the calories and can tolerate them - are a good "I need to put something in my mouth" substitute, as they have that handy "handle" that just happens to be a white cylinder, and you take the lollipop in and out of your mouth in that familiar pattern.

I quit about 30 years ago. I did it by substituting one habit for the other. I would drink coffee whenever I wanted a cigarette and probably ended up drinking too much coffee. If I were to do it now, I would substitute decaf tea for the coffee.

Good luck to both you and your dad. You are doing yourself the biggest favor ever in this endeavor.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Lots and lots of gum -- just the regular kind. Don't substitute chocolate or chips (bad idea :|).
    Originally Posted by Rachel:
    I quit about 30 years ago. I did it by substituting one habit for the other.
    Me too... except i substituted with biting my nails instead. The gum helps with that too though. I guess i'm just neurotic!

Good Luck!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Today is exactly 19 years since I quit. I don't miss it at all! What a nasty, dirty, smelly, expensive habit. UGH! I can't believe I did it for so long - 18 years! I used Nicorette gum to quit and then had to quit that stuff too. Nicotine is one dangerous drug! It's not easy, but it's doable. I switched addictions after that and started working out like a fiend. I did not gain weight when I quit smoking, It can be done.

Cinnamon helps too - I chewed tons of cinnamon gum. It helps lessen the cravings. Some people chew on cinnamon sticks. There's something in the spice that really does work.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I quit cold turkey on January 31st 1982. No substitutions just didn't smoke any. I did take a puff of one six weeks later and I felt like I was going to die! Afer that none. This coming January 31st will mark 25 years without smoking. Good luck to you and your father in your efforts to quit.

Sunflower seeds are good. Gum, candy, coffee ... I've done it all. The last time I quit (yes, I've quit three times, this time for good!) I got a prescription called Chantix. It is the latest aid to quit smoking, it binds to and blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain. It is very helpful. I killed no one!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

My only advice is to make sure you really want to quit before actually doing it. If you want to quit, you will. Good luck!

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi
    Please call 1-800-QUIT-NOW. My husband is a quit counselor, and they have centers across the US. They will counsel you and your father and give good tips, plus you can get free nicotine patches to help with cravings. I'd really encourage you both to do so- it's a free program and it can help you!
    thank you! I wrote it down... I am not smoking much, but its there. Its mostly boredom ( yes excuses) but still. I have also decided, retired early or not, to go back to work. I just dont know what yet.

I stopped smoking after my wrist surgery, to promote healing. Unfortunatly (sorry Rachel, my cheerleader) *hangs head in shame*, I do have one now and then. But, I stopped with the help of the Nicotrol Inhaler. It's very expensive, but luckily, my dentist gives out free samples, so he's helped me save money. It's almost like smoking a cigarette and worked great.

I'm just a weak person, who still needs a ciggie after a meal or with a drink. BUT, I went from a pack a day to a pack every 3 days.

Heather..if your dad is on Wellbutrin, I think it attributes to a weight gain. My primary doctor prescribed it but warned me of the side effects and I said no.

I'll keep trying...but it's really tough.

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen

I'll keep trying...but it's really tough.
    That's enough to make me hopeful. I know you can do it. With all the things we don't have any control over healthwise, this and not being overweight are things we can do. You work on yours and I'll work on mine.
    Last edited by Rachel; 11-10-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France