Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoee's knee- Update #34

Zoee's knee- Update #34

Back in February I noticed Zoee was limping sometimes. I checked out her leg all over and she didn't show signs of pain when I touch, pulled and rubbed on it. The limping got worse so I took her to the vet on President's Day and was told she had a sprained knee. I was very glad it wasn't a torn ACL. We had her on meds for two weeks (and were supposed to keep her activity/running to a minimum) and the limping was very minimal.

This past Friday night she was back to the severe limping and not wanting to put that foot down. Keeping her from running in our backyard is about impossible....unless you take her out on a leash. Which Bruce doesn't have time to do during the day. So I decided to take her to my moms house where I know she will get the restrictions she needs to let her knee heal.

I got more meds from the vet yesterday and took her to my moms. I was in tears when I left her. I feel so bad. But I know its best for her so we don't have to deal with the torn ACL. While we were there she would go in my moms backyard (that is twice the size of ours) and she would just slowly walk around. Well that was easy!! My mom also has a pool that she can swim in and still get the exercise she needs without putting strain on the sore knee.

My other dilemma is Taggart. He has never been alone except while Zoee is at the groomers or vets. Now he is going to be an only dog for three weeks!!! He is already being such a good boy. Usually when they go in the front yard they take off down the sidewalk. Yesterday Bruce did yard work out front and Taggart hung out under the tree. I know he's going to miss Zoee. So will we.
    Last edited by Taz_Zoee; 04-29-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Awwww - poor Zoee - and poor Cindy. too. I know you'll miss her terribly, but hopefully she'll be back good as new by Easter, and it will all be worth it. Sending positive thoughts and vibes to Zoee. Get better soon, girl!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm sorry to hear that she has to stay at your mom's house but I know it's for the best. I hope she'll heal up quickly. Please continue to keep us updated about her.

Awww, sending you a big hug and Taggart some extra skritches, or being a good boy. Poor Zoee, but at least she's away and will hopefully heal better at "Gramma's House."
    I've Been Frosted

Poor Zoee!! Here's to a speedy recovery!! Taggart will be okay....I"m sure he will miss her, though!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Hugs to all of you!

Of course you also realize how lucky you are to have this option, for Zoe to be cared for w/ someone you know, and have the chance to heal. Missing her is one thing; worrying about who she is with just would add SO MUCH to that burden.

Prayers for Zoe to heal up completely on her stay w/ Grandma!

Thanks everyone!!
    Sandie, you are so right. I am very lucky to have my mom not far from me (only 1 1/2 hours) and am lucky she is not working. Zoee will get better care there than at home with me.........under normal circumstances.

So, one of the volunteers at ARF had a great idea. I did not even think about it. But she suggested to take Taggart to the dog park. DUH! We never go to the dog park because I can't handle both of them by myself with Zoee being so leash reactive. And I feel bad taking only one at a time. Bruce never wants to go with me either.

When I got home from ARF this evening I fed Taggart and we headed to the park. It's only about 5 minutes from our house. He had SOOOO much fun!!! He ran around for about 30 minutes. He basically adopted another couple that was there with their Corgi. We will definitely be doing this several more times over the next three weeks. And I am thinking about what I can do with Zoee for one-on-one time so I can continue to take Taggart to the park.

I talk to my mom everyday on my commute home. So I will definitely keep this thread up to date with info on Zoee. I know she already went for a swim today too. So glad the weather is nice enough for that.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Pawsitive thoughts for Zoee to heal up quickly!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Aw, poor Zoee with her boo-boo knee. *Sigh* I hate to see Mz Logan favor one side due to hip dysplasia, so I know how your heart is breaking. Thank God you have your mom, that's so awesome and lucky! I hope swimming helps her recover. I know your house seems so empty without her.

Yay Taggart at the dog park! Sounds like he fell in love and oddles of fun! Smart move!!!

Hugs to all!!

I've been Boooo'd!

Get well soon Zoe...poor baby...poor mommy...
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Talked to my mom today and Zoee was having some swim time. She doesn't stay in the pool though. She gets in, swims a few strokes, gets out and shakes all over my mom. Gets almost all dry then gets back in the pool to do it again.

I made the mistake of talking to her over the phone. She then began looking in the house for me. I won't be doing that again. Poor girl. But she is no doubt loving all the attention she is getting from my mom.

I think she will be good as new by Easter (April 24th). The house is SOOO quiet without her. But Taggart did bark earlier when our neighbors friend was out front. Good Boy!!! Of course the difference with him is he stops when we tell him to. Zoee........not so much.

Poor Zoee girl! I hope she gets well soon! Hugs to you Cindy, I know you miss your girl!!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I'm sorry, just seeing this now! Poor Zoee, I hope she feels right again soon. That sounds painful. Mom, feel better too, I don't blame you for missing her!

Poor all of you! You are doing the best thing for Zoee, though. Think of the mandatory 6 week totally limited restrictions an ACL repair takes! You are dealing with half of that time period, avoiding the cost of the repair ($1500-$2000), the pain, etc. This IS best for Zoee.

Hugs to you while you miss your girl. But, isn't she in the best second place possible, your mom's???

Once Zoee is all healed is your Mom going to be able to part with Zoee?

I am so glad that you have this option - even though you miss her terribly, she has an excellent chance to heal and be spoiled rotten while she is healing.
    Last edited by gini; 04-06-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: correct Zoee's name