Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got to shadow in the UT College of Veterinary Medicine today!

I got to shadow in the UT College of Veterinary Medicine today!

Hey guys, I know I'm kind of not around much, but I just wanted to share of my experience today.

I'm part of UT's Pre-Vet Association, and a few weeks ago we all signed up for shadowing positions at the Vet school. I've been super excited and super nervous about it since I got the email on Monday telling us that shadowing starts this week, but I started today and it was AMAZING!

On Fridays I shadow surgery for two hours, and then I head on over to community practice (which is basic vet things, like shots, heartworm/flea prevention, bloodwork, urine samples, etc.).

Surgery was really, really cool. I observed a knee surgery. The dog had a knee injury previously and had to have a plate placed on her knee, but apparently the plate was causing her problems so they had to remove it today. She also had a LOT of damage to her meniscus (the muscle behind the knee) and they were getting rid of some of the damaged cartilage in there. They used an endoscopy (I think?) to go in there and remove the damage tissue, and that was an interesting thing to watch on the monitor.

In community practice, they weren't busy at all (though I'm hoping this will change next Friday when I go back) but I saw them take a urine sample and a blood sample as well and then I went and listened to a lecture about fleas and worms. I learned a lot of things about fleas that I never really wanted to know, but it was kind of interesting.

I learned a lot more in the vet school today that I've really learned in my animal science classes so far, so I'm really excited to see what next week has in store!

On Monday I go to Neurology/Dermatology/Ophthalmology so I'll report back on how that goes then
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

How completely cool! Thanks for letting us share this with you!
    I've Been Frosted

That must have been really interesting. Good luck next week!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Sounds so Very Interesting.. Now are you already a Vet Tech?? Even at my age I am getting pretty serious of getting out of Aviation & going into Vet Tech School..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Definitely glad to share it! It was an exciting day .

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Sounds so Very Interesting.. Now are you already a Vet Tech?? Even at my age I am getting pretty serious of getting out of Aviation & going into Vet Tech School..
    Nope, I'm just an undergraduate student right now majoring in Animal Science with a Pre-Veterinary Concentration . I'll hopefully be in Vet school and on my way to being a vet in 3.5 years though.

You should go to vet tech school, I've heard it's awesome!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Bri, this is a wonderful opportunity, and your excitement it just bursting off of my screen! How wonderful that you get this insight now, so early on in the program.

And, as I have just finished my supper, thanks for not sharing the details from the flea lecture.

I'm a jealous () old poop! If I knew THEN what I know NOW I would have done what you're doing! How amazingly wonderful, fascinating and interesting! I'm proud of you and just as excitied!! Keep on sharing! I'll be waiting!

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Bri, this is a wonderful opportunity, and your excitement it just bursting off of my screen! How wonderful that you get this insight now, so early on in the program.

And, as I have just finished my supper, thanks for not sharing the details from the flea lecture.
    Thanks! And LOL! We were all in the middle of eating lunch while listening to the lecture

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen View Post
    I'm a jealous () old poop! If I knew THEN what I know NOW I would have done what you're doing! How amazingly wonderful, fascinating and interesting! I'm proud of you and just as excitied!! Keep on sharing! I'll be waiting!
    Hehehe. Thanks! I'll have lots more to talk about on Monday I hope!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

That sounds really interesting! (But since I'm not overly fond of seeing people or animal's insides, in more of an abstract way for me, haha).

It is great you are so enthusiastic about what you are learning. I know you will do well!

How exciting and inspiring!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

That kind of medicine FASCINATES me!!!!! You're going to do very well!!! You and Zara blow me away!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank you all!

Today I shadowed Neurology/Ophthalmology/Dermatology. There really wasn't a lot going on in Neuro and Derm (which was kind of disappointing, especially about Neuro because Neuro is one of the fields I'm considering!) but I got to see an appointment for Ophtho and help them check a dog into the vet school. She has to have eye surgery tomorrow. I believe her eyelid is growing into her eyeball or something like that and they have to tack it to prevent it from causing damage to her eye. She was a Rotti and her name was Smoki .

After that, things kind of died down, I couldn't really go into anymore exam rooms because they are tiny and they are already crowded with the vets and vet students. But anyway, a very nice lady was talking to me and this other girl from one of my Animal Science classes that was also shadowing, and she was explaining all things Ophthalmology to us and showing us pictures of eye cases that they had previously had.

All 3 of these services perform exams and surgeries on all species of animals including large, small, and exotics!

Ophtho has had things like zebras, penguins, horses, baby calves, and every other sort of species come in, which I found pretty awesome!

I absolutely LOVE the vet school and I can't wait to be there. I'll try and update this thread periodically with all the things I see on Mondays and Fridays !
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I'm so happy for you Bri, especially that you are so excited and know that this IS what you want to do. Sounds like a lot of fun... I still wonder if I'm making a mistake going into nursing instead of Vet school!

Unfortunately I don't get any shadow type things for nursing until I'm actually in nursing school, my third year. I think actually shadowing and seeing what you'll do makes you so excited for it... helping you through school when days are just so stressful! I think we get to shadow in all different things like emergency, OB, neonatal, and all other aspects of nursing, which is nice.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    Thanks! And LOL! We were all in the middle of eating lunch while listening to the lecture

Nurses do that too! We talk about the strangest things over food.

What a great experience! I hope your next one goes just as well!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

What a great day. So happy for you.