Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protests in Iran

Protests in Iran

As some/many of you know, there has been extensive unrest in Iran related to the outcome of their recent presidential elections.

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    As some/many of you know, there has been extensive unrest in Iran related to the outcome of their recent presidential elections.

Discuss.
    And, as you have opened this thread perhaps you would like to start and share with us your own thoughts on the unrest in Iran.

"Discuss" ???
    This isn't high school.

Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    And, as you have opened this thread perhaps you would like to start and share with us your own thoughts on the unrest in Iran.
    Ok.

I personally think that their government is being very oppressive over their people. Protests should be allowed, as long as they do not turn violent.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Ok.

I personally think that their government is being very oppressive over their people.
    Ya think?? So what else is new? So how do you propose that it can be changed?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Ok.

I personally think that their government is being very oppressive over their people. Protests should be allowed, as long as they do not turn violent.
    Now, we have to look at how the protests affect their government, the people protesting and the effect on their place in the world view.

I want to see an overthrown government there. The kids doing the protesting are willing to die for the cause.

A real wake up call to the 'protestors' at the "G" gatherings all across the world. They really don't care about their world, they just need a reason to get together and burn stuff to the ground.

The protestors in Iran are willing to die for a change in government. More than the idiots who protest whales, oil and animals are willing to give to their cause.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

My husband was born in Iran. I went in 1999. I never met more gracious people, friend, relatives and strangers. I think people have had the wrong idea about Iranians for a long time. I didn't meet one person that didn't like Americans, they had issues with the government here getting involved in things so I do think our government needs to stay out of it for that reason.

Even then people had there ways of rebelling, it reminded me of kids having overly strict parents, they found ways of doing what they wanted. I had a niece in high school, every school book had a picture of the eyatollah on the front (which is the back to us) she drew horns on his head...hehe. My husband was afraid for her but that type of rebellion was just normal for them.

We would get in taxi's and the driver would see I was American so he would crank up the music, which was illegal. Many parties with dancing and mini skirts, also illegal.

I am hoping and praying for the people of Iran, its time for the idiots to be thrown out.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    We would get in taxi's and the driver would see I was American so he would crank up the music, which was illegal. Many parties with dancing and mini skirts, also illegal.

I am hoping and praying for the people of Iran, its time for the idiots to be thrown out.
    A good mini skirt and music?

I am there!

I worked with a wonderful, beautiful woman who was from "Persia"- at the time the hostages from the American Embassy had come home and we just could not separate the fools in power from the people, underfoot.....so, many Iranians played the "Persia" card.

I really want to see the gov't. over thrown, I know, the idiot who takes over may not be as good as the idiot he replaces, but the people in that country need change.

I wish them the all the best in their struggle and hope it happens with the least amount of blood shed and pain.

They deserve a way better government than they currently have.

We started dating during the hostage crisis...many dates consisted of watching Larry King live...can you believe he has been around that long.

Many things in their culture are referred to as "persian" like the food, the rugs, etc. They have been called Iran since 1935 but I think for many of them they are "persian", that is their heritage.

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    We started dating during the hostage crisis...many dates consisted of watching Larry King live...can you believe he has been around that long.
    Your beau or Larry?

------------

There were many intolerant, ignorant people at the time who did not or could not, take the time to separate the people from the government in Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Your beau or Larry?

------------

There were many intolerant, ignorant people at the time who did not or could not, take the time to separate the people from the government in Iran.
    ummm both!

I have been frosted!

Jimmy Carter should already be in Iran apologising for mettling in their affairs in the late 70s.

Obama needs to strongly condem the Iranian gov for their handeling of the election and protests. Obama should also back Israel financialy and politicaly in protest of Irans actions.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Possible revolution???

I graduated from college in 1981 and the Iranian students at that time were very defiant and anti-American, even holding their own protests (and flag burning session). I guess they were caught up in the revolution. BUT they seemed to live a life contrary to their principles - drinking, smoking and having promiscuous sex with American girls. BUT DOESN"T THAT SOUND LIKE JUST ABOUT MOST OTHER COLLEGE YOUNG MEN OF THE TIME - and probably now. I think that once the novelty of the power shift wore off and the effect of a secular government running things took hold, many secretly longed for some of their now lost freedoms. Maybe a generation or two of disenchantment has set in, and they are ready for a change again?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Ok.

That's it??? Since you wanted a discussion, I thought you would have more input than a 2-liner. That's not much of a discussion - if any!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

15. I am sorry for the people of Iran. It must be terribly frustrating (slight irony here) to believe your election outcome was not what it should have been. When you think what that country has been through...takeovers, violence, oppression - and wanting to make a change and have that snatched away.

But...there are many countries in the world where free elections are denied and people oppressed. The US has some bad history meddling in the affairs of other countries -- especially Iran. I believe we must be VERY careful in our response to the situation.