Thread: One of "our" storks :(

One of "our" storks :(

Every summer, there's a stork couple on a high chimney where I'm working. I'm so in love with these beautiful, big birds! Spent a lot of time during my lunch breaks to take photos of them (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=152017).

Today I learnt that one of the storks - I think it's the male - was hit by a truck and died. Sadly, the remaining stork wasn't able to care for the babies, at this point, it looks like they are also gone. I'm very very sad, and my lunch breaks won't be the same from now on!

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 05-26-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Oh No How so Sad.. RIP wittle one..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Yes, it is indeed sad. My heart is bleeding when I see the empty nest now. Looks like the remaining one has left today.

Kirsten

Rest in peace, beautiful one.
    I've Been Frosted

My heart sank when I saw this thread. I have adored looking at all the pictures you have shared of these beautiful birds. Its so sad to hear this news..

Rest easy, beautiful stork.

Thank you!

Well, a part of me is glad that I have all these photos now, but at the same time, it's terribly hard to look at them. They always seemed to be so full of joy, and they made me happy when I looked at them. Who would have thought that it would end this way?

Kirstesn

OH NO! That is so sad for the beautiful stork family!
    I cannot imagine how heartbreaking that must have been for the one that couldn't manage to care for the family. I'm so sorry to hear that; I, too, enjoyed your Stork pictures. I know this is sad for you, Kirsten.

RIP Daddy and baby storks - Godspeed to the Bridge.

Thanks!

Yes, I too am heartbroken for the poor female stork, I imagine her trying to protect her babies, waiting in vain for her companion for days and he did not come... while she was getting weaker and weaker until she finally realized that she had to leave the nest to find some food, and maybe the babies have already died from starvation at that point... It hurts so much to think about that, and yet I cannot put these thoughts aside.
    Kirsten

How awful. RIP beautiful stork. I hope his/her partner finds another mate and is able have a nest this year. This happened to one of our bald eagles at the local park we have. The female died because an egg got stuck in her birth canal, and she was also quite old. A younger beautiful female came a few days later and now our guy has a mate again. It's sad when they mate for life and this happens. I hope she can start up a family again.

My Dad always told me that nature is cruel. This just verifies it. I hope the female will find peace and another mate and have lots more babies.

RIP sweet ones.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Alysser, I'm sorry to hear about the eagles, but I'm glad that the remaining one found a new mate. Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that this will happen to our stork lady. Storks only mate once for one summer, so she will stay alone for the rest of the season. Even if she would have new eggs now, the babies won't be strong and big enough for the flight back to Africa in the late summer. But I'll hope she'll be back next year with a new partner.

moosmom, it's true that nature seems to be cruel sometimes, but in this case, it wasn't nature but human technology that killed the stork and destroyed his family.

Kirsten