Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Sad Sad Story

A Sad Sad Story

I took a trip out to a farm today to do some new work required by a farmer. I had lunch there with the farm manager, the same guy who gave me Bear (my border collie) as a pup. He was telling me that he was glad that I took Bear at the time, as Bear being a chocolate coloured border collie does not suit farmers too well, as they actually kill the chocolate coloured pups because of their colour....evidently trying to maintain a black and white border collie colour. It seems that this is normal practice around here with the farmers.
    On talking further with him I learnt that the only other pup (a black and white border) which he had kept for himself from the same litter as Bear, was shot last week....the reason ??? Because he wouldn't work !!!!! And therefore was not worth feeding.
    I drove home today from work, a little stunned. I can't believe for the life of me why this is going on....... VERY upsetting.
    Wom

It's so upsetting to know that there are such cold hearted people in this world.
    To kill a living being just because it's not doing something right.

RIP B&W BC.... Your death sentence was carried out by a human with no heart, probaly someone that's never felt loved or cared for in his life. I can only hope and pray that one day you come back to this earth and are spoiled rotten.

Wom, I'm so sorry you had to sit there with that farmer and hear, first hand, what happened to Bear's litter mate.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Poor pup. RIP sweet doggie.

If a tractor rolled over that farmer, I would not be sad.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

RIP little Border Collie. How very sad. I'm sure someone would have loved to had that dog as a pet.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I' shocked and a bit surprised! When I've attended border collie sheep trials, there have been about 1/4 of the dogs where brown and white, the others black and white. So the color isn't eliminating them from the sheep trials in New Hampshire.

I am so sad to hear about that poor little dog. Hugs to you, wombat, for having to hear this sad story.

that is dreadful - poor little dog
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

That is shocking! I'm sure that BC would have made someone a great pet and companion, and who knows, all those brown and white BCs could have made excellent farm dogs. Tradition's a fickle thing, sometimes.

Zimbabwe 07/13

I wonder if there is a border collie rescue in Aus, as there are Greyhound rescues for Greyhounds that can no longer race.

How HORRIBLE.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    I wonder if there is a border collie rescue in Aus, as there are Greyhound rescues for Greyhounds that can no longer race.

How HORRIBLE.
    They have a pet rescue here in our town, but when someone actually takes one of there own dogs there, they get charged a fee.
    Guess those farmers just don't want to part with their hard earned money.
    It's a shame tho.....when the pup was shot, I was away in Sydney on a job....if I'd have known of the situation, I would have drove out and taken him, and brought him home.
    Wom

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z
    That is shocking! I'm sure that BC would have made someone a great pet and companion, and who knows, all those brown and white BCs could have made excellent farm dogs. Tradition's a fickle thing, sometimes.
    Yes, I think it is kinda like a tradition amongst those people.....a pretty ignorant tradition if you ask me.
    Wom

Maybe they need to know that they could make a little money selling the dog as pet quality, rather than wasting a bullet shooting it. While I don't like it at least the dog would be alive.

So very, very sad. Play and have fun at the bridge sweet pup.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Borders of all colours make good herders. They don't have to be black and white.

There is a well known sheepdog trainer and shepherd in the UK, I forget his name, and all of his dogs are red and white.

They also say the same things about white factored dogs but then a woman shepherd came along with her white BC and proved them all wrong.

Sheesh, some people have no soddin idea.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

That's cruel and pointless. He could have found the BC a loving home.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

What a sad story. It's too bad that some people still consider working dogs as property and not a part of the family. When that piece of property stops working just throw it away; such a disgusting practice.

Yes, I think it is kinda like a tradition amongst those people.....a pretty ignorant tradition if you ask me
    I agree, it's so sad that people are caught up in the olden days when that was ok. I hope a brown and white BC wins the best sheep herding title and shows all those stupid farmers that a dog can please no matter what colour. Essh that just SO stupid to think a dog can't work cause of it's colour. That poor BC that guys should have all his dogs taken away and not be aloud to ever breed again.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee