Thread: Support from bird fanciers? ...

Support from bird fanciers? ...

Prepare thy selves for a lot of rambling. Don't worry though, i will get to a point eventually.

Long time ago when i was probably no taller that a Chihuahua or a cricket... Ok I was a tad bit taller I had wanted a dog. We had had dogs not long before. My parents response to a couple years of begging was to buy me a goldfish. Yay *sarcasm* ...eventually over time i was able to work my way up to getting a Budgie. There was a tragic accident. I still cry to this day thinking about it. Well, my parents weren't going to let me get a new one. Long story short, i proved to them how much it meant to me and they let me buy a new one. (and i was only about seven.) He ended up being my best friend and i love him so much. He's been gone many years now. With in three or four years of getting him i was also able to talk my parents into finally getting a dog. Life moved forward and i graduated high school, got engaged, moved away from home and rescued my dream dog from across the street from my parents' house. S.O. and I agreed that when he passed away that we would get a pet that neither one of us had before so that it would be a neutral choice. (A ferret - which i do have experience taking care of.) King passed away a few months ago, but i haven't had much time to just think. Helping with a foster dog has been taking up almost all of my time when i'm not asleep or working.

However, whenever i pass by Budgies my heart is aflight with joy and sorrow. I miss having one soooooo very much. They are hard work but well worth it. (IMO dogs are the easiest beings i've ever had to care for by far!) I love just about every sound they make. Their personalities are amazing.

But alas. We keep our house way too cold. We have way too much cleaning left to do in our house (It would be a death trap for a Budgie.) The final kicker is that I'm in the process of trying to start my own business. Budgies need a lot of time and love. I wouldn't be able to provide that for them. Oh, and i almost run on Chinchilla hours. Budgie would be waking up not long after i go to bed.

My life just isn't suitable for a Budgie anymore. I hope that one day I'll have the time for one again. Before I hit retirement age.

Yes, this is a shameless cry for attention.

I've had this ache in my heart that no one else seems to understand. They don't know what i see in budgies. S.O. at least sympathizes; but he doesn't understand either. I figured here in this forum at least someone might have a story to share that would give me a smile. Maybe even some advice to mull over.

(Edit: Trust me, i did my ABSOLUTE best to keep this short. In a post i wrote about King, the section about my other pets takes about 45 minutes to read! I talked about them in great detail even in a post that was centered around him.)
    Last edited by crow_noir; 03-09-2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: clarification.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I'm sure that someday your life will be suitable for another budgie. May i suggest that when you go to the pet store you act like you're concidering buying one, so you can hold one? Then you tell the people you need time to think about it? hehe I've done that a time or two when i see a pet i really like but i know there's no way on earth I could have him.

((p.s. no problem about the rambiling, I'm sure one of us will, or has done it on PT before!! ))

We work with a bird rescue and foster, and yes many many budgies are turned in. For the reasons you stated, they are tiny but do require a dedication that belies their size.

I truly hope that your life will turn around favorably to have one, as your post tells me there would be a very blessed budgie!!

In the meantime I will happily give all our fosters and our own budgies an extra snuggle and kiss for you ok?
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

He he I've thought of doing that! ...I'm just too polite to waste a worker's time.

I'd go to the local bird store where they are all hand raised, but the birds at Meijer seem less fearful of people!!!

A few weeks ago I almost caved and begged to rescue this one. There's a health company named Wysong. In their greeting area they have a HUGE Budgie cage (the thing could comfortably fit a large Labrador.) There used to be three budgies, but two died a few months ago. The one remaining is so lonely. Wysong put him up for adoption. He's almost 20 years old. He was always shy and scarred of people before, but now he comes right up to the bars begging for some attention. He may be old, but he deserves to live out the rest of his life in happiness.

Thanks for writing!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatata6
    I'm sure that someday your life will be suitable for another budgie. May i suggest that when you go to the pet store you act like you're concidering buying one, so you can hold one? Then you tell the people you need time to think about it? hehe I've done that a time or two when i see a pet i really like but i know there's no way on earth I could have him.

((p.s. no problem about the rambiling, I'm sure one of us will, or has done it on PT before!! ))

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Thank You...

I wish that people had to take classes or have documented hours before being allowed to adopt any pet. Soemthing. So many people never realize what goes into having pets.

I'll admit that I've made many mistakes, but i was a kid. I was pretty much on my own for learning how to take care of pets properly. Growing up in the 80's I didn't have the internet to look up information. I had to rely on the library.

Now i know better about a lot of things, but i do still retain all the stuff I've done right.

I can at least say that my budgies never lacked in peaceful loving attention from me.

Yay! Extra snuggles from me! Thank you. Would you also chirp at the budgies for me please? (The budgies in the stores seem to love it when i stand there calmly and twitter with them.)

Thank you for your kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    We work with a bird rescue and foster, and yes many many budgies are turned in. For the reasons you stated, they are tiny but do require a dedication that belies their size.

I truly hope that your life will turn around favorably to have one, as your post tells me there would be a very blessed budgie!!

In the meantime I will happily give all our fosters and our own budgies an extra snuggle and kiss for you ok?