Thread: Cats and Chocolate

Cats and Chocolate

My assistant here at work asked me whether chocolate was as deadly to cats as it is to dogs. I've never heard of a cat eating chocolate, so I have no idea. Apparently, she had a bag of hershey kisses out by the garbage, and when she went out today to put more garbage out, she found muddy cat prints and silver foil on the ground and some chocolate with licks or bites out of it. Any idea if this is something she should worry about?? She doesn't own cats, and actually she's a cat hater, so I wouldn't doubt that she found out that it's bad for them and put it out there on purpose. It's the same cat that is pooping on her front porch mat, lol. I think the cat is very smart!

ASPCA Guideline

Hey Jenn
    I tried to attach the ASPCA website for list of poison so you could just click, but it......as you can see

Anyway chocolate is on the list for pets.........

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...pcc_poisonsafe

Very toxic heres a link tells more about it.
    hazzard
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I have heard that chocolate was bad for any animal if they eat too much, but Angel snuck some chocolate ice cream and a chocolate donut one day. She was fine later on!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

I haven't read the info posted but I've been told that it's baker's chocolate that is supposed to be toxic to dogs and cats. I'm inclined to believe that's true because my RB dog Charmin ate a whole candy dish of chocolate covered cherries while we were at the other end of the house during the holidays. I called my vet and we watched her but nothing happened. But a pet has no business eating chocolate anyhow, so I'd make sure they didn't get any. AND...if you find out that woman is purposely trying to poison that cat, she needs to be turned in. God forbid if I live near anyone who does harm to cats.

Blessings,
    Mary

I caught Luna drinking some of my chocolate milk once, but it didn't seem to do him any harm. I think it really depends on the dose, and the individual cat. Smokey the Elder got hold of a tiny piece of chocolate chip and was violently sick, then was OK.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb