Thread: Driving Me Nuts

Driving Me Nuts

I'm at the end of my ropes. I am catsitting for the next four months, and I think I'll kill myself before then. Since I got this cat last week, it has peed all over my house (my blankets, my pillows, my clothes, my tablecloth, EVERYTHING), the house wreaks and I had to throw out alot of good stuff. It poops outide the litter box. It's out to kill the dog. And it won't SHUT UP. I'm serious, she meows this terrible YOWL all day. She never stops, except to take a breath, and then she yowls again. As we speak, she is yowling like she's in heat. I can't sleep!

I don't know what to do. I've given her catnip, stressex, rescue remedy...I can't just give her back, the lady's house burnt to the ground and she can't afford a kennel. I'm going insane!!!
    I've been BOO'd!

Bless you for taking in this kitty while her owner gets things sorted out after a fire!

First, you should discuss with the owner. Is this cat always like this? That will be important to know before you do anything. Also, was this cat in the house during the fire? AND who is the owner's vet?

Next, if the owenr says no, the cat was never acting like this, then you need to explain to her in detail what is going on and ask her to have the vet check the kitty out for what could be going on.

I am sure other PTers will have lots more ideas for you to consider.

This is not normal cat behaviour, you are right to seek assistance.
    Good luck!

Okay, first off, calm down. Is the cat spayed? If not, that is probably why she is making all that noise.

Another reason could be a Urinary Tract Infection, hence the peeing everywhere. I think a vet visit is in order to rule it out.

You have to remember that this poor kitty just lost it's home to a fire and is separated from her human. Cats don't like change, which means she's probably stressed out to the max.

Try and put her in a spare room with a nightlight, food, water and litterbox and, if you have it, a radio tuned to classical music.

I commend you for helping this woman out. But you also have to take into consideration the cat's state of mind right now. Poor baby is confused and stressed.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Just repeating a few very good points.

Is the cat in heat??

Definitely confine her to a small room. She'll feel safer and have less opportunity to miss the litter box. Use a large cage if necessary.

Was she an only cat? or could she be missing a house mate?

Is her human available to visit with her? She MUST be so confused right now.

A vet visit would be a great idea. If she is sick in any way OR if she is just stressed, the vet could help. Appropriate medication may be in order.

Find out from her human what she enjoys and then try to provide it. (does she like to be held, a particular food or toy, to play chase ganes....whatever)

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

She's been spayed -- she's an 8 year old rescue. She is an only cat. She was in the house during the fire but got out before she was hurt. She appears to be healthy -- she is eating and drinking normally, she enjoys being pet. Her owner is coming to visit every few days. I will talk to her about a vet visit but I don't know if she will be able to afford it -- the insurance won't even pay to have her cat go to the kennel.

I thought about the spare room thing but unfortunatly I just don't have a spare room she can go in. The best I can do is the kitchen, which is what she is confined to anyways as the only material thing in there was the table cloth and she'd already ruined that. Otherwise the livingroom is where my pets spend most of their time and she doesn't get along with them and she will pee on the couch, my bedroom has my pillows and blankets and laundry for her to pee on, and the bathroom door can't be closed because I'm painting the bottom half of the rat cage and I'm trying to keep the door open for ventilation.

I feel bad that most of the kitty's stuff was lost in the fire. She on the same food, and the owner said she will bring her a familiar blanket. I wish she was reacting to the rescue remedy and everything else I tried giving her -- I don't have any Feliway. I would have thought she would be better used to stress as she's used to moving around -- she's been in shelters, on plane rides, etc.

I have a big 500 dog crate --- think I should put her in that for a day with the litter box? I don't know if an area that small would make her feel safe or chlostrophobic?
    I've been BOO'd!

The crate might be the best. Maybe a sheet over it too, at least for a while.
    She should feel safer in a smaller space.

Something that smells like her owner can't hurt, either. If she settles down at all, maybe try short visits to the living room later.

I feel for you. The howling would totally unnerve me.

Cats with issues TV

Hi friendss,
    Looks like you can use some intervention. Please allow our cat behavior expert assist you in btinging some harmony back into the household. If you would like to share your dilemma with others, please contact [email protected] for further info.